Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:03 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
My brother lives in Nashville. He is the oldest & I am the youngest. The car accident I was in scared him (& the rest of my family) & he wants me closer to him. So it was my first investigative inquiry.

Well, I can walk now & have been in my own apartment for almost 2 years. But, there is a lot of beauty in Tennessee, just as there is in Arkansas.

Florida came in because I am so cold right now, lol.
I love Arkansas because it has 4 seasons with long falls and winters that are mild compared to Minnesota.
I had considered TN also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 06:35 PM

188 posts, read 253,564 times
One area I hear little about is Beaver Lake. We saw the eastern side near Eureka Springs and fell in love with it. We didn't see the western side, but might be happier there, since it is closer to F'ville and all. I want remote but not day's hike to a Sams Club.
How is the Lowell area (and north/south) of Beaver Lake?

Old 12-16-2016, 01:23 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
43 deleted posts later..
Folks, next time something like this happens, contact me about it. I'll step in sooner.
Now, carry on.
Yac.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:03 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
One area I hear little about is Beaver Lake. We saw the eastern side near Eureka Springs and fell in love with it. We didn't see the western side, but might be happier there, since it is closer to F'ville and all. I want remote but not day's hike to a Sams Club.
How is the Lowell area (and north/south) of Beaver Lake?
I know the very southern end of Beaver Lake extends down to the area we love along hwy. 412 east of Springdale, although you're basically back onto the White River at that point, but regardless they have Beaver Lake access there. I mapped it and it's 16 miles (27 minutes) from where 412 goes over that water to Fayetteville, and 10 miles (17 minutes) to Springdale itself. Just a beautiful, serene area that's very close to the 49 corridor via several routes, but most notably 412, which becomes a fast moving limited access highway once you're out of town.

If you're looking to explore the lake and vicinity from the west side and want to bed down there while doing so, you have to check out this place I found online called the Whitney Mountain Lodge. I've only seen pictures, but the views of the lake look really incredible from their rooms, which have nice balconies from which to enjoy them. We wanted to stay there so badly, but just never got around to it this year. I almost want you to stay there so I can experience it vicariously through you!

Old 12-16-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I know the very southern end of Beaver Lake extends down to the area we love along hwy. 412 east of Springdale, although you're basically back onto the White River at that point, but regardless they have Beaver Lake access there. I mapped it and it's 16 miles (27 minutes) from where 412 goes over that water to Fayetteville, and 10 miles (17 minutes) to Springdale itself. Just a beautiful, serene area that's very close to the 49 corridor via several routes, but most notably 412, which becomes a fast moving limited access highway once you're out of town.

If you're looking to explore the lake and vicinity from the west side and want to bed down there while doing so, you have to check out this place I found online called the Whitney Mountain Lodge. I've only seen pictures, but the views of the lake look really incredible from their rooms, which have nice balconies from which to enjoy them. We wanted to stay there so badly, but just never got around to it this year. I almost want you to stay there so I can experience it vicariously through you!

That is a deal. I may look them up for a weekend thing this summer. In March, we go up during our Spring Break to check out places in Fort Smith for a move in June. Then, we can check out different areas on weekends and such. I will write that place down...

Old 12-16-2016, 10:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
That is a deal. I may look them up for a weekend thing this summer. In March, we go up during our Spring Break to check out places in Fort Smith for a move in June. Then, we can check out different areas on weekends and such. I will write that place down...
While the view from Whitney Mountain is spectacular, I think the lodge is overpriced, and the rooms are somewhat dated. Sugar Ridge is nearby, on the back road to the dam, and it has a similar price point but the rooms are very nice.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
While the view from Whitney Mountain is spectacular, I think the lodge is overpriced, and the rooms are somewhat dated. Sugar Ridge is nearby, on the back road to the dam, and it has a similar price point but the rooms are very nice.
Noted as well. Thx. I am not allergic to saving money. We just "had" to stay in Eureka Springs at an old hotel- I have forgotten the name of. For $150/night, they could have at least plugged up some drafty spots and made some repairs...

Old 12-16-2016, 12:27 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So, if you had a choice and wanted a small house, with a garden and a good library in town and a senior center close by, where would you live? Are all three pretty similar, with the exception of Fayetteville which has droves of college kids, or would one be better for an older person who wants a friendly, active community with a dog park close by and maybe a bus, for transportation, in case the need arises. No apts or condos. Have ruled out Bella Vista, which is gorgeous but not in the running. Any thoughts on which you would prefer?
PhxBarb: It's quite interesting and ironic that we both live near each other in Arizona and are both considering retirement in NWA (among other places.) We should have lunch sometime! I bet we'd have a lot in common. IM me if you care to.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Doug: Sent you a DM.

Looking forward to exploring AR areas in January. My Bella Vista friend still is hyping her neighborhood with the curvey hilly streets and big lots. Please hold off the snow until I come back here, ok?? My Chicago driving skills are very rusty since I have been in AZ for 15 years !

Old 12-16-2016, 06:37 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I love Arkansas because it has 4 seasons with long falls and winters that are mild compared to Minnesota.
I had considered TN also.
What was the mitigating factor that had you choose AR over TN? I've pretty much decided it is going to boil down to total cost of living for me.

There is so much to think about; housing, utilities, car insurance & grocery costs. They are both beautiful states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers