Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 AM

134 posts, read 191,047 times

Advertisements

The list is nonsensical and is obviously meant to promote the sale of real estate. For example, Orlando is on that list the combination of horrendous traffic and high crime make is one of the worst places anyone could live (not to mention the summer heat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Down from #3 on the list last year, but still high praise.

100 Best Places to Live in the USA 2017 | US News Best Places to Live

1. Austin, TX
2. Denver, CO
3. San Jose, CA
4. Washington, DC
5. Fayetteville, AR
6. Seattle, WA
7. Raleigh & Durham, NC
8. Boston, MA
9. Des Moines, IA
10. Salt Lake City, UT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangolufsen View Post
The list is nonsensical and is obviously meant to promote the sale of real estate. For example, Orlando is on that list the combination of horrendous traffic and high crime make is one of the worst places anyone could live (not to mention the summer heat)
your opinion; these studies are done constantly, of course they company has an agenda to push, but I will add, NWA is almost always in the list of best places to live or start a business regardless of who is doing the study, not to mention it is still fun to see your region make a good list. God only knows, probably from people like you we get enough of a bum wrap. As for Orlando, you are forgetting these studies factor in a lot of fields, and are referring to the entire region, not just one city. How much time have you spent in Orlando or NWA for that matter? We have a daughter who lives in the Orlando area, no not the city itself. The hoes are outstanding, the weather is great except for high humidty,, the people are friendly, lots of great outdoor activities and I am not talking Disney World types. The economy is great, the shopping is good and the area is clean; one of the cleanest I have ever seen.

So take the study the way you want, i do agree, as I have said a study a month from now might be totally different, but let us have our fun. Maybe come and visit with an open mind and then post your opinion.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:59 AM
pek

15 posts, read 13,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
love your positive attitude. WOW
sheesh, make a casual mention of a well-known fact...

I found this Kiplingers list, after I saw your comment... turns out some of those are in the top 10 most expensive US cities.

I wasn't commenting on Fayetteville.

Thanks

Most Expensive U.S. Cities to Live In

Last edited by pek; 02-10-2017 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-13-2017, 11:08 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
I stumbled into your neck of the woods here out of curiosity. Through work I have occasional dealings with some folks in the NW Arkansas region. I know it is a small sample size but they are the friendliest and nicest people over the phone.

I know this is a vague question but is this a common trait among people in the area? Is this a really nice, upbeat, friendly, welcoming area? I previously never once thought much about Arkansas in my life, but the people I talk to now are very likeable.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:46 AM

461 posts, read 546,405 times
I hate these lists. The quality of life in Colorado isn't great. Denver is a boring little city that's gotten extremely expensive. Salaries are low and the public schools, as in most cities, are terrible.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I stumbled into your neck of the woods here out of curiosity. Through work I have occasional dealings with some folks in the NW Arkansas region. I know it is a small sample size but they are the friendliest and nicest people over the phone.

I know this is a vague question but is this a common trait among people in the area? Is this a really nice, upbeat, friendly, welcoming area? I previously never once thought much about Arkansas in my life, but the people I talk to now are very likeable.
Lets just say, never in a million years did I think we would live in AR and now, only God could get us to leave. There are so many more positives than negatives. An example; kids here are polite and sincere about it. Do we have trouble makers? of course, but overall, if nothing else the kids do know how to act around adults compared to a lot of places we have lived. The cost of living is low. People go out of their way to help ohters The economy is very good in NWA. And our weather, for the most part is nice: warm, sometimes humid summers, but they are shorter than other places we have visited or lived. Our winters brigng some snow, but not much. Spring and fall are to die for. We have both rural and metro areas within a few minutes of one another. No, it isn't Paradise, we have problems just like anywhere, but it is a good life.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 AM

5 posts, read 5,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
List was invalidated to me with DC being so high. Why would you want to live somewhere with such bad crime and traffic? Also Boston is very cramped with narrow streets and extremely high traffic as well. Kind of an odd list because it appears we are the smallest city by far on the list.
I am with you - these things are always skewed by other factors. For example, Neighborhood Scout lists Fayettville AR with a crime rate/safty of 6, 100 being the highest, yet Indianapolis is 3! Trust me, Indy is seriously 3rd world. This makes Neighborhood Scout non-credible in my book.

But if anyone thinks I am wrong, please correct me. Does anyone think Fayetteville, AR deserves a 6? When Indy has had 150 homicides+ (this # DOES NOT include shootings that do not cause death, which is prob double). It looks like Fayetteville has less than 500 crimes total, Indy has 40,000+.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 AM

5 posts, read 5,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
I hate these lists. The quality of life in Colorado isn't great. Denver is a boring little city that's gotten extremely expensive. Salaries are low and the public schools, as in most cities, are terrible.
Agreed, and for what you get in housing, it's like Carmel, IN. You can get a shotgun house for $200K and a decent/ok one for $250K+ - CO is very similar. Ugly houses... for really expensive. And decent houses for a lot more. Any gems on the market get sold in almost 24 hours it seems. Serious bidding wars in Carmel. I suspect Fayettville, AR is the same way. It looks like a really tight RE market.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:48 PM

134 posts, read 191,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
your opinion; these studies are done constantly, of course they company has an agenda to push, but I will add, NWA is almost always in the list of best places to live or start a business regardless of who is doing the study, not to mention it is still fun to see your region make a good list. God only knows, probably from people like you we get enough of a bum wrap. As for Orlando, you are forgetting these studies factor in a lot of fields, and are referring to the entire region, not just one city. How much time have you spent in Orlando or NWA for that matter? We have a daughter who lives in the Orlando area, no not the city itself. The hoes are outstanding, the weather is great except for high humidty,, the people are friendly, lots of great outdoor activities and I am not talking Disney World types. The economy is great, the shopping is good and the area is clean; one of the cleanest I have ever seen.

So take the study the way you want, i do agree, as I have said a study a month from now might be totally different, but let us have our fun. Maybe come and visit with an open mind and then post your opinion.
I current live in central Fla about 40 mins from Orlando and this place is horrible. I have been here over a year and the traffic and crime are both terrible. I spent a week in NWA and there's plenty of traffic there too, but less road range, fewer tailgaters, and just easier to get around. The thing I don't like about NWA is the whole bible belt mentality. It's too conservative for me and a NY Jew is not a good fit for that area.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangolufsen View Post
I current live in central Fla about 40 mins from Orlando and this place is horrible. I have been here over a year and the traffic and crime are both terrible. I spent a week in NWA and there's plenty of traffic there too, but less road range, fewer tailgaters, and just easier to get around. The thing I don't like about NWA is the whole bible belt mentality. It's too conservative for me and a NY Jew is not a good fit for that area.
OK, as I have said you have a right to your opinion, but that is all it is;opinion and based on very little actual knowledge. As for the Jewish bit, my son in law is Jewish, though he is not practicing right now, he and daughter have several friends in NWA that are practicing and are not bothered at all by the Bible belt mentality as you call it. There are more and more Jews moving here because of businesses like WalMart all the time. They are practicing Jews btw. Let me all, I find your reference to Bible belt mentality a bit of a put down.

I will agree with you on the conservative part: yes, for the most part Benton and Washington counties are pretty conservative, but we all know plenty of residence that are anything but. Most of have friends on both sides of the fense. Even some christians I might add and some Jews that are conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers