Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:54 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times

Advertisements

I moved here 2 years and 1 month and 8 days ago. I had purchased land roughly 1 year and 1 month prior to that event.

My goal was to "get out" of the city, and I thought I had achieved it.

Ultimately though, this area is growing rather rapidly, and I saw houses popping up near my land. Even a bloody real-estate office popped up at the end of the road I was on! A building...which existed...only to sell other buildings! NEXT TO ME!

So, I sold out.

I love the area though, so I'm not moving. Not in the least. I'm just re-locating further south, north, east, or west. This time to buy a house, and not just land, as I have established that I like this area and wish to remain.

That said, I had a few questions:

-What are the implications of the green areas (National Ozark Forest), on the map?
-What is the implication of buying a house INSIDE this green shaded area?
-I didn't think you COULD have a house...in a national forest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I moved here 2 years and 1 month and 8 days ago. I had purchased land roughly 1 year and 1 month prior to that event.

My goal was to "get out" of the city, and I thought I had achieved it.

Ultimately though, this area is growing rather rapidly, and I saw houses popping up near my land. Even a bloody real-estate office popped up at the end of the road I was on! A building...which existed...only to sell other buildings! NEXT TO ME!

So, I sold out.

I love the area though, so I'm not moving. Not in the least. I'm just re-locating further south, north, east, or west. This time to buy a house, and not just land, as I have established that I like this area and wish to remain.

That said, I had a few questions:

-What are the implications of the green areas (National Ozark Forest), on the map?
-What is the implication of buying a house INSIDE this green shaded area?
-I didn't think you COULD have a house...in a national forest?
Can't answer your question JWG but was thinking of you a couple days ago as you hadn't posted in a long time. Sorry the wide open field idea didn't work for you, or should I say they are away forest but glad yo are staying.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:03 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Many maps of national forests simply map the established boundaries of the national forest. That does not mean that all of the land within that area is national forest land. There are many inholdings within national forest boundaries, in some more than most. In Michigan, there are numerous properties within national forest boundaries that are not owned by the federal government. It's probably very similar in your area. To determine actual ownership, you should look at local plat maps, which are usually sold for each County. That would be the easiest way to determine where properties might be available for purchase.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Many maps of national forests simply map the established boundaries of the national forest. That does not mean that all of the land within that area is national forest land. There are many inholdings within national forest boundaries, in some more than most. In Michigan, there are numerous properties within national forest boundaries that are not owned by the federal government. It's probably very similar in your area. To determine actual ownership, you should look at local plat maps, which are usually sold for each County. That would be the easiest way to determine where properties might be available for purchase.
So...people owned land...then it became national forest, but their plot was grandfathered...so no land outside the grandfather plots can be bought or sold by civilians, effectively landlocking what already exists? As in...no new neighbors closer. Ever.?

Old 03-26-2017, 07:27 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
Quote:
So...people owned land...then it became national forest, but their plot was grandfathered...so no land outside the grandfather plots can be bought or sold by civilians, effectively landlocking what already exists? As in...no new neighbors closer. Ever.?

I believe this is correct. I haven't heard of fedgov taking anyone's land adjacent to National Forest land. It doesn't seem like they are in "acquisition mode" anymore.

Depending on the area, some national forests are logged for profit occasionally, although the ones I've seen that done to are the faster-regenerating pine forests to the south of NWA.

Glad to know that NWA met your expectations as a good place to live. Sorry to hear that your property is getting taken over by development!

That stinks. Benton County is growing faster than Washington County. Areas directly to the south of Fayetteville tend to be much less-developed and there seems to not be much growth pressure down there.

Another point to consider, while you won't have any new neighbors in those areas, that land is public land, so you'd encounter hunters, hikers, etc.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:51 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Anything east but it won't last long. Your property was east in ( near) Gardfeild/Saligmon. I wanted to say "hi! ( long time- no see) Building is just crazy now.. sorry you had to sell. Try coming to Fayetteville more often. Even Fayetteville Wal-Mart ( behind it ) is solid street of housing ( aparments) now. Blows my mind. I mean solid.....

Old 03-26-2017, 07:56 PM

NWA Democrat-Gazette/JASON IVESTER Construction continues on new homes March 16 on Southwest Barton Street in Bentonville. Builders received 2,078 residential building permits in Benton County last year, nearly double the number issued in Washington County.

NWA residential real estate market sizzles | NWADG

Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 PM

I'm looking for 1 hour max, equidistant to Fayetteville or Bentonville, during non peak driving hours

Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I'm looking for 1 hour max, equidistant to Fayetteville or Bentonville, during non peak driving hours
something towards Huntsville closer to Springdale- where I am.. ETA: weird thing is, you can get to Eureka just like you could from your property. Huntsville is a longer trip.

http://snip.li/kJu

http://snip.li/VT7K

(I'm going to get off here for awhile, weather is bad)

Old 03-26-2017, 11:27 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Correct. The national forest boundaries indicate where the federal government MAY buy land to add to the national forest. Many people didn't sell their land when the national forest was first created (or there wasn't sufficient money at the time to buy them) so those properties remained as private inholdings in the national forest. Unfortunately, that does NOT mean that you wouldn't have new neighbors. Owners of properties within a national forest are free to subdivide and sell their properties. The public land in the national forest won't be developed...unless the anti-conservation forces taking over Washington choose to sell them off. So there is a real possibility that "protected" lands might be sold and developed to the detriment of future generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers