Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 06:37 AM

641 posts, read 1,073,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well I doubt that is going to happen. At least not for decades.
It's never going to happen. NWA metro population is already over half Tulsa's metro population and that trend is not slowing down.

As to getting a Trader Joe's, we actually go to Sprouts more often, although we are close to Trader Joes. Lots of good quality fruits and veggies in addition to the meats and gourmet stuff, and fairly good prices. You should be lobbying to get one of those stores. The Tulsa area has 4 now.

Last edited by teakboat; 09-27-2018 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Never say never, if Walmart collapsed who knows what this area would turn into. With the coming age of AI and driverless trucks on the horizon JB Hunt's future as a large provider of jobs here is an unknown as well. The economy of this region is dominated by a handful of companies rather than by high tech industry.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Never say never, if Walmart collapsed who knows what this area would turn into. With the coming age of AI and driverless trucks on the horizon JB Hunt's future as a large provider of jobs here is an unknown as well. The economy of this region is dominated by a handful of companies rather than by high tech industry.
But they did it themselves. NWA used to be hillbilly land a generation ago. But the people have built it up, no one is laughing anymore. The hillbillies were pretty smart after all.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:34 AM

The University of Arkansas has been here since 1871 so I don't think you could call this hillbilly land a generation ago. And I'm not in any way knocking the growth, it's just not built on the stablest of foundations, although it's certainly not impossible that the failure of one of these giant companies wouldn't be replaced by another one.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:43 AM

I'm talking about perception. My family is from there, and I still own land there. The big gains economically in NWA relative to the rest of the country have been accruing in the last few decades. I'm not knocking them. Oklahoma came on from obscurity too. Now both places have higher median household incomes than Germany.

I agree that it would be good if NWA region could diversify its economy more.

Last edited by teakboat; 09-27-2018 at 12:10 PM..

Old 09-27-2018, 01:30 PM

Seemed like the Denver area got inundated by incredibly rude, vulgar Californians during the time I lived there from 2000-2017. I'm just glad there's not much chance of that happening here.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:11 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,241 times
Uh oh.......the flood gates are opening. ^^^^^ look at my location ^^^^^

Old 09-28-2018, 09:55 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Actual urban area map from the 2010 US Census: https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc1...C10UA29494.pdf

Old 09-30-2018, 05:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
It's never going to happen. NWA metro population is already over half Tulsa's metro population and that trend is not slowing down.

As to getting a Trader Joe's, we actually go to Sprouts more often, although we are close to Trader Joes. Lots of good quality fruits and veggies in addition to the meats and gourmet stuff, and fairly good prices. You should be lobbying to get one of those stores. The Tulsa area has 4 now.
Yes, we used to go to Sprouts when we lived in North part of Dallas and our daughter shopped their for years when they lived on the Flower Mound border. That being said, I still prefer Trader Joe's as everyone knows. I am just a huge supporter of the store. Of course the fact I grew up only a few miles from the original one in Pasadena CA might have something to do with my loyalty.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
ok, never say never is a good thing to remember, but what you are saying could apply to almost any company and any region. I think what some of us are saying, want it to stop growing is very unlikely. It would be years before WalMart would see a collapse and they are smart enough to spread their holding out, plus new businesses will most likely continue to relocate here as long as the cost of living is kept under control. How do know what major companies may relocate here? Look at San Jose Ca, who would have guesses it would have turned into the tech center of the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers