U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:02 PM

527 posts, read 143,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, never say never is a good thing to remember, but what you are saying could apply to almost any company and any region. I think what some of us are saying, want it to stop growing is very unlikely. It would be years before WalMart would see a collapse and they are smart enough to spread their holding out, plus new businesses will most likely continue to relocate here as long as the cost of living is kept under control. How do know what major companies may relocate here? Look at San Jose Ca, who would have guesses it would have turned into the tech center of the world?
I could easily have guessed that the California west coast would turn into the tech center of the world. It's got the best climate in the country by far - year round 70-80 degree temps, mountains and ocean - that's why it costs so much to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 06:22 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I could easily have guessed that the California west coast would turn into the tech center of the world. It's got the best climate in the country by far - year round 70-80 degree temps, mountains and ocean - that's why it costs so much to live there.
Have you ever really lived there? I was born and raised in So California, met my husband there while we were in College. We lived all over the state from San Diego to the northern coast line. Yes, for some, the weather is fantastic but that has almost nothing to do with why the tech industry took off. I am surprised anyone would say, weather is why an industry would take off based on one condition. Let me also add, the San Jose area is not on the coast nor really all that near to the mountains. Yes, it isn't a long drive to either but not many people think of San Jose as being attractive based on the criteria you seem to be using.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Socal has the combination best climate and natural beauty of any area in the country by far, no other region compares. I'm surprised you don't think there's any connection between this and it being the area with the highest cost of living (except for maybe Manhattan) and where the tech industry settled. (and where most millionaire fim stars who could live anywhere choose).
You really think these factors are coincidental? And why would you having lived there make your opinion on this question more valid than someone who hasn't?

Last edited by duke944; 10-06-2018 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-07-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Socal has the combination best climate and natural beauty of any area in the country by far, no other region compares. I'm surprised you don't think there's any connection between this and it being the area with the highest cost of living (except for maybe Manhattan) and where the tech industry settled. (and where most millionaire fim stars who could live anywhere choose).
You really think these factors are coincidental? And why would you having lived there make your opinion on this question more valid than someone who hasn't?
first of all: you mention so Ca. well the tech center of the world is nowhere near So.Ca so why would you mention So. CA when referring to the tech industry and why would I consider my opinion any more valuable than someone's who has never lived there? Think about it for heaven's sake. But also let my add, I didn't say mine was more valid, I gave my opinion and yes someone who spent 45 years living someplace would have a better idea about what life is like in that region. As for the most beautiful place in the country, that certainly is a matter of opinion and not fact. Wouldn't you agree? Some would say the New England region is the most beautiful, some would think the desert region is breath taking and some would say places like Colo are the prettiest.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:35 AM

What I said was the combination of climate and natural beauty is by far the best. The winters and summers are both very mild, there is literally no other place in the lower 48 you can say that about. Then, you have the ocean and mountains. Like I said, there isn't another region of the country that is in the same sentence as Californias west coast. What I'm referring to is silicon valley which is part of socal - I'm not sure wth you are talking about.

Last edited by duke944; 10-07-2018 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-07-2018, 11:47 AM

592 posts, read 719,828 times
Silicon Valley is not part of Southern California.

The San Fernando Valley (of Valley Girl fame) is, but Silicon Valley is San Jose which is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_California

Old 10-07-2018, 11:53 AM

2,928 posts, read 1,431,283 times
Quote:
S Cal is a freakin' desert for the most part.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
What I said was the combination of climate and natural beauty is by far the best. The winters and summers are both very mild, there is literally no other place in the lower 48 you can say that about. Then, you have the ocean and mountains. Like I said, there isn't another region of the country that is in the same sentence as Californias west coast. What I'm referring to is silicon valley which is part of socal - I'm not sure wth you are talking about.
You live i a dream world, for sure. If you didn't you would not even mention So.Ca. and Silicon Valley. They are not near each other for heaven's sake. This is why it obvious you know noting about So. Ca or maybe even CA except what you imagine. Maybe you have visited there a few times. Only you know that.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Silicon Valley is not part of Southern California.

The San Fernando Valley (of Valley Girl fame) is, but Silicon Valley is San Jose which is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_California
I am wondering if he has Silicon Valley confused with Simi Valley? Simi Valley is a very nice, residential suburb north of Los Angeles. It is where the Reagan library is located. Let's see if he comes back and clarifies what he said?

Old 10-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Northern California, southern California who cares I'm talking about the California west coast and everthing I've said applies to that. It's a very small area, and you are attacking my comments with semantics. Your initial comment that you are shocked that San Jose is the tech center of the world can be answered by my response - it's the climate, stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers