Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:36 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There can always be risks of layoffs, no matter who you work for, but for those who don't pay much attention, only see the word "layoff" Walmart does this every year or two, just to turn around and hire new people. Unless we are living in a very unstable economy or have reason to think the company isn't doing well, I don't think we can worry about the future.
It's not like Walmart is the only game in town. JB Hunt, Tysons, and UofA are still going strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It's not like Walmart is the only game in town. JB Hunt, Tysons, and UofA are still going strong.
Holy cow, what in Gods green earth are you talking about? I simply made a comment that it isn't unusual for WalMart to have lay offs because someone had made a comment about the media coverage of WalMart layoffs. I certainly have lived here long enough to know how many major companies we have centered here or with good sized representation. Why did you spin my comments? I don't understand at all!!!!

Old 08-12-2017, 04:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,394 times
I heard today from my wife's friend's realtor who recommended avoiding shadow valley since they have about 50 homes for sale at any given time. There is simply too much competition to sell a house there. Their security is more like a welcoming team since you can pretty much get in without much resistance.

I've heard that Pinnacle's security is a little more stringent but any way you cut it, every home will have a landscaper, a house keeper or a contractor coming in through security multiplied by the number of homes in the sub-division and you can see an easy opportunity for a motivated criminal.

Part of the vitality and uniqueness of this area can be directly pinned on the Walton foundation. Not everyone understands the fact that Sam and Helen walton decided to give back to their community by establishing the walton foundation which has it's hand in just about everything going on in the area so if you've ever wondered what it's like to live in an area where 2 billionaires decided to use their money to help their home town, this may be one of the only places in the world where you can experience that.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I heard today from my wife's friend's realtor who recommended avoiding shadow valley since they have about 50 homes for sale at any given time. There is simply too much competition to sell a house there. Their security is more like a welcoming team since you can pretty much get in without much resistance.

I've heard that Pinnacle's security is a little more stringent but any way you cut it, every home will have a landscaper, a house keeper or a contractor coming in through security multiplied by the number of homes in the sub-division and you can see an easy opportunity for a motivated criminal.

Part of the vitality and uniqueness of this area can be directly pinned on the Walton foundation. Not everyone understands the fact that Sam and Helen walton decided to give back to their community by establishing the walton foundation which has it's hand in just about everything going on in the area so if you've ever wondered what it's like to live in an area where 2 billionaires decided to use their money to help their home town, this may be one of the only places in the world where you can experience that.
I often wonder how many people realize just what the Walton's did and are doing for our little corner of the world> In fact what they do for charity as well. Thanks Sam and Helen.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:46 PM

573 posts, read 585,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I often wonder how many people realize just what the Walton's did and are doing for our little corner of the world> In fact what they do for charity as well. Thanks Sam and Helen.
I wish their children had held the same values as their parents. Sam and Helen did so much for this community, and the charities from Tyson and Walmart still help today. I simply wish people understood what crapholes Walmart can be once you travel out of this small area. The price "race to the bottom" I feel is something Sam may have been ashamed to see. From the rude associates hiding from customers to trash strewn stores down south, I think things could have been handled better.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:04 PM

231 posts, read 380,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
I wish their children had held the same values as their parents. Sam and Helen did so much for this community, and the charities from Tyson and Walmart still help today. I simply wish people understood what crapholes Walmart can be once you travel out of this small area. The price "race to the bottom" I feel is something Sam may have been ashamed to see. From the rude associates hiding from customers to trash strewn stores down south, I think things could have been handled better.
This is a dangerous thing... Sure the stores here are nice but they are also nice in other part of the US. I have lived in areas that had several walmarts. Some of them nice, some not so nice. The not so nice ones were always in an area that I wouldn't go jogging by myself. But to be fair, most of the other stores around those walmarts were in a similar shape. Can't really single out walmart for that. You can single out walmart for holding fundraisers, organizing volunteer work, and provided jobs to those neighborhoods despite what they might look like.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:54 AM

1 posts, read 529 times
We moved to NWA six years ago and bought a home in Shawdow Valley. There were lots of couples in the 30ish to 50 age range kids of all ages, and a smattering of retirees as well. There are weekly, monthly, and seasonal events for children and events that are adult only. There's a monthly newsletter outlining all the planned events. With the newsletter there was page that had listings of the Daily Specials being served in the Clubhouse! The food was terrific by the way. Our home anchored a corner of a cul-de-sac, there were five other homes within the cul-de-sac. In some cases both spouses worked for Walmart (Three Upper Management - Two Buyers - One Attorney - One Computer Programmer) rounding out our neighborhood was a Physician and a Bank CEO. We found Shadow Valley a safe and wonderful place to live. There are homes at the very back of Shadow Valley that must have been built prior to all the POA rules currently in place. These homes weren't built according to current rules. Our home in Shadow Valley was on the market less than two weeks! Yes there people moving in and out of SV due to promotion relocation, changing professions and a myriad of other reasons. We left SV because we wanted a swimming pool and didn't agree with SV rules re: swimming pool construction.

Sorry for long post but felt as a previous SV Owner I could offer some insight.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:18 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,400,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nan View Post
We moved to NWA six years ago and bought a home in Shawdow Valley. There were lots of couples in the 30ish to 50 age range kids of all ages, and a smattering of retirees as well. There are weekly, monthly, and seasonal events for children and events that are adult only. There's a monthly newsletter outlining all the planned events. With the newsletter there was page that had listings of the Daily Specials being served in the Clubhouse! The food was terrific by the way. Our home anchored a corner of a cul-de-sac, there were five other homes within the cul-de-sac. In some cases both spouses worked for Walmart (Three Upper Management - Two Buyers - One Attorney - One Computer Programmer) rounding out our neighborhood was a Physician and a Bank CEO. We found Shadow Valley a safe and wonderful place to live. There are homes at the very back of Shadow Valley that must have been built prior to all the POA rules currently in place. These homes weren't built according to current rules. Our home in Shadow Valley was on the market less than two weeks! Yes there people moving in and out of SV due to promotion relocation, changing professions and a myriad of other reasons. We left SV because we wanted a swimming pool and didn't agree with SV rules re: swimming pool construction.

Sorry for long post but felt as a previous SV Owner I could offer some insight.
''I

I am a retiree and considering a move to NWA. SV is one of the neighborhoods were are interested in. How do I tell from a listng the home is one of those you referenced in the babk bbuilt before HOA rules were in place? Are there certain streets or time the homes were built I can use to distinguish? Your post makes me want to live in SV thanks for the insights.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:06 AM

41 posts, read 66,849 times
SV is a great neighborhood and probably one of the top three areas to live in NWA - definitely in Benton County

Old 08-18-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
I think, for the most part the Walton kids do.We just hear the negatives instead of the positives or a fair mixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers