Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:21 PM

6 posts, read 7,097 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Fayetteville, AR. Does anyone have any preference to the schools within Fayettevilleś district? My children are 4th grade through high school. We will be looking for homes based on the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 17,957 times
While I'm not able to speak specifically on the schools, I can tell you that Fayetteville does have some good schools, as does a lot of NWA. You might even look at Bentonville unless you are wanting to stay closer to the Fayetteville area. There's really no shortage of good schools. The resource I tell most people of is www.greatschools.org It will allow you to look at the ratings of the schools and decide which might be a better fit for your family.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:16 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,115,768 times
As for Fayetteville elementary schools, Root and Vandergriff have the best reputations.

Woodland Jr has a better reputation than Ramay.

All Fayetteville public schools feed into Fayetteville High School, which is highly rated, if viewed by some as "liberal", due to the heavy influence of the university.

Farmington and Prairie Grove are well-regarded small-school options.

Elkins is increasingly becoming a transfer-out option for Fayetteville residents on the east and Southeast side who want a smaller-school environment. Fayetteville SD generally grants those school-choice requests without hesitation.

Far western Fayetteville lies in the Farmington district, as well.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 21,799 times
Everyone says East Fayetteville has the best schools...Vandergriff etc. However, I will say that it is not necessarily true. East Fayetteville is more expensive of an area and thus, the schools are more prestigious. The high school is huge! Seriously looks like a college and if your child plays sports of any kind, it will be very difficult to get on a team. If you are wanting to stay in Fayetteville itself, look to the west side. Schools are smaller and kinder, and real estate is going to be less expensive.

If you are interested in the East Fayetteville area, don't just type Fayetteville for the city, also use Goshen. Otherwise you will be missing some gorgeous properties in East Fayetteville.

Also, check into southwest Springdale and west Springdale. Wonderful values in just as nice neighborhoods. This will be were the Tyson money is.

Good luck!

Old 10-29-2017, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 7,097 times
Thanks! I wondered about differences between East and West Fayetteville, as I have seen many homes that meet our criteria and they were cheaper on the west side.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:29 AM

36 posts, read 39,556 times
I am also considering a move from a hurricane-risk area. What plagues and worries me no end is fear of flooding. I have been researching for months, and I know that flooding can occur anywhere in the US. I have struggled to figure out how to read the FEMA flood maps and failed. Even worse, I have good reason to believe FEMA maps are often inadequate. I am so afraid of flooding that I have considered looking for an apartment loft to buy, only to discover that a 3 or even a 2 bedroom costs much more than I can afford and also more than I could pay for a similar or even much better single family home. My feeling is that a home seller will not be honest about the potential for, or history of, flooding for a house, not to mention the fact that an area that never flooded before may well flood in the future because of the uncertain weather we now have with stalled rain events that can drop huge amounts of water virtually anywhere. These fears are paralyzing. Any suggestions? I want an affordable house that won't flood, or there isn't much point in moving. Am I asking too much? If this post is inappropriate here, could a moderator move it? I don't mean to hijack this thread with my concern, though I am speaking about NWA, and if I am, please excuse me.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:40 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanii View Post
I am also considering a move from a hurricane-risk area. What plagues and worries me no end is fear of flooding. I have been researching for months, and I know that flooding can occur anywhere in the US. I have struggled to figure out how to read the FEMA flood maps and failed. Even worse, I have good reason to believe FEMA maps are often inadequate. I am so afraid of flooding that I have considered looking for an apartment loft to buy, only to discover that a 3 or even a 2 bedroom costs much more than I can afford and also more than I could pay for a similar or even much better single family home. My feeling is that a home seller will not be honest about the potential for, or history of, flooding for a house, not to mention the fact that an area that never flooded before may well flood in the future because of the uncertain weather we now have with stalled rain events that can drop huge amounts of water virtually anywhere. These fears are paralyzing. Any suggestions? I want an affordable house that won't flood, or there isn't much point in moving. Am I asking too much? If this post is inappropriate here, could a moderator move it? I don't mean to hijack this thread with my concern, though I am speaking about NWA, and if I am, please excuse me.
of course we have some flooding, but I can pretty much assure you, what you read and see on TV is just plain publicity. What flooding we do have is usually gone in a day or so. Rarely do we get any flooding that seriously damages a home or streets for a long period. Old, not well built bridged will sometimes be washed out. The last thing I would be concerned about would be flooding. Like anywhere, mother nature is the boss, but she is pretty kind to us in NWA.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:04 AM

Thanks, Nita. By the way, my mother's name was Juanita, and that's what I was thinking of when I made up my user name. She was not hispanic, by the way. Anyway, I do know that Fayetteville doesn't suffer frequent floods. I've looked at live footage and written reports I guess you call publicity. I guess I wasn't clear about my concerns, but I don't know how to do better at the present. I understand that floods are going to happen in some places but "lasting no more than a day or two and rarely seriously damaging houses" isn't quite what I was hoping to gain in information. However, thanks for kindly trying to help.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:50 AM

If flooding is last on the list of worries about living in Fayetteville or the area, what would you put in first, second, and third place as concerns in terms of buying a house?

Old 10-31-2017, 12:01 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,115,768 times
There is one flood-prone area in South Fayettevile, but it still isn't anything like what you'd find on the Gulf Coast. The neighborhoods surrounding Town Branch sometimes get flooding when other areas of the city are fine.

I don't know much about other cities, but flooding of homes or structures seems exceedingly rare here.

The order of priorities for me would be:

1. Proximity to employment
2. School district of choice
3. Affordability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers