U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:53 PM

95 posts, read 94,907 times

Advertisements

I'm with Tyryztoll. I have lived in liberal areas (Seattle), Fayetteville, Little Rock,.... Not once have I felt that all views didn't belong. Some people don't like my views (my wife included at times), and sometimes I don't like other people's views. This is part of being human and we still love one another and get along. All of this political bashing, hate, accusations of racism, violence.... Silly stuff.

Mainstream media is terrible and is a strong reason why these fears persists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 10:48 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,493,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
If anyone has moved from DFW to northwest Arkansas with kids can enlighten me as well I would appreciate it.
We're moderate liberals who moved from DFW to Fayetteville last winter. We spent a great deal of time here before making it our permanent home, and a politically tolerant atmosphere was high on our wish list.

After living in a very conservative area, it's a breath of fresh air here. Fayetteville is primarily blue/Dem but is surrounded by several more conservative communities. That means when you encounter someone you have no idea which way they lean politically so you don't use that as a criteria to judge them. Our experience is that people here avoid assumptions about others' political beliefs and are content to live and let live.
For us, that's a drastic and very welcome change from Texas where people always assumed we voted conservative and felt free to make political remarks/jokes. Our son moved here from NYC and although he's politically extremely liberal he also enjoys that people here don't automatically pigeonhole him.

We're also enjoying how NWA Dems are very proactive and vocal when it comes to organizing and acting. It's easy to find the groups through social media.

Quote:
Will my son fair well in Fayetteville schools if he is interested in arts, soccer or band and not hunting or football?
Much of NWA - not just Fayetteville but also Bentonville and Eureka Springs - is very supportive of art, theater, and music.
https://news.uark.edu/articles/39335...rt-in-arkansas
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/a...orary-art.html
http://www.experiencefayetteville.co...n-fayetteville
https://nwatravelguide.com/top-10-li...venues-in-nwa/
https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/20...ing-expansion/
https://www.theatre2.org/news/2017/8...ion-in-funding

Last edited by biscuitmom; 10-05-2017 at 10:57 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 05:16 AM

69,240 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
I'm with Tyryztoll. I have lived in liberal areas (Seattle), Fayetteville, Little Rock,.... Not once have I felt that all views didn't belong. Some people don't like my views (my wife included at times), and sometimes I don't like other people's views. This is part of being human and we still love one another and get along. All of this political bashing, hate, accusations of racism, violence.... Silly stuff.

Mainstream media is terrible and is a strong reason why these fears persists.
I am with you on this. I can't believe anyone lets political views play a part in where they live or find living in one area preferable to another based on right versus left. We have friends here in BV that are liberals and are still happy with living here. they do not base their lives around politics and some are very politically active. The same with our conservative friends. Oh and yes, we wives do, sometimes differ from you guys on politics as well as other things.

As for Fayetteville, our granddaughter is a grad of U of A. She is very conservative and yet, never felt out of place in Fayetteville. She had liberal friends, but luckily they could have interesting discussions on politics and not end up disliking each other. We were the same, living for years in DFW area. We had liberal friends as well as conservative ones. Everyone got along. We had more problems being Redskins fans in Cowboy territory.

MSM causes more hate than anything else. How sad.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:26 PM

419 posts, read 1,344,200 times
Thank you bwac. That is exactly what I was trying to find out. After visiting the area looks great but I don't know the daily reality of living in nwa. I've spent slit of time in different parts of Arkansas and I wouldn't live in most parts of the state outside of central Arkansas and northwest Arkansas. Because I feel like I and my family would be comfortable in those places. I don't have anything against conservatives, just want to make sure I'm not throwing my son into an environment that is worse for him, adults will be have for the most part, but kids can be mean if someone doesn't believe the same things daddy does...

Old 10-06-2017, 01:47 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,360,124 times
Quote:
I don't have anything against conservatives, just want to make sure I'm not throwing my son into an environment that is worse for him, adults will be have for the most part, but kids can be mean if someone doesn't believe the same things daddy does...

I think, if anything, many of the more "conservative" families in Fayetteville wind up sending their kids to smaller districts or private because of a perception that FHS is "too liberal". It's literally next door to the University and there's a lot of back and forth between the two institutions. They have an incredible AP program as a result of the proximity to the college. It's a large high school ( by Arkansas standards) with around 2,000 students 9-12. Your son shouldn't have any problems finding peers who share his interests and beliefs.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:26 AM

69,240 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
I think, if anything, many of the more "conservative" families in Fayetteville wind up sending their kids to smaller districts or private because of a perception that FHS is "too liberal". It's literally next door to the University and there's a lot of back and forth between the two institutions. They have an incredible AP program as a result of the proximity to the college. It's a large high school ( by Arkansas standards) with around 2,000 students 9-12. Your son shouldn't have any problems finding peers who share his interests and beliefs.
Never thought of that, maybe they do choose private schools for them. I do have to add, to the OPs worries, yes, kids can be mean, but unless they do something stupid like not stand for the pledge there are not many kids who really put that much into political views. In fact young children pretty much could care less about politics and by high school I think kids can stand up for themselves pretty well. I remember when our oldest granddaughter was in school in DFW area. They lived in a very conservative part of the region. One of her best friends came from an extremely liberal family. None of the kids, even in high school turned their backs on the girl from a liberal background. BTW the young girl turned out to be as liberal as her parents and yet remained friends with our granddaughter for many years after high school and college.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:23 PM

95 posts, read 94,907 times
Some of my best friends are as liberal as they get. We get into healthy debates all the time.

I will say that from my experience, those on the left tend to be more aggressive in attacking the person than the topic/facts at hand. That is my experience. So to follow with nmnita, as long as your kid doesn't make themselves stand out in a large way then they should be fine.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:37 AM

78 posts, read 40,588 times
Quote:
Thank you bwac. That is exactly what I was trying to find out. After visiting the area looks great but I don't know the daily reality of living in nwa. I've spent slit of time in different parts of Arkansas and I wouldn't live in most parts of the state outside of central Arkansas and northwest Arkansas. Because I feel like I and my family would be comfortable in those places. I don't have anything against conservatives, just want to make sure I'm not throwing my son into an environment that is worse for him, adults will be have for the most part, but kids can be mean if someone doesn't believe the same things daddy does...
You are worried about Fayetteville HS being worse than a high school within Frisco ISD? If the worry is high, have your son finish within Frisco ISD.

You are worried that kids can be mean if someone doesn't believe the same thing as Daddy? Does this only apply to conservatives, or do you allow this silly assumption to apply to liberals too? Kids are going to be mean no matter what.

If you are fine in Frisco Texas as a liberal, you will be fine in Fayetteville as a liberal.

Really tired of this political lens being used as a way to navigate through life.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 PM

5,951 posts, read 7,490,732 times
Could not agree with prior post than I do.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:19 AM

525 posts, read 141,528 times
Very few kids/teens even hold political beliefs, where on earth did you get the idea they will judge others based on their views? politics is one of the most boring topics for a 16 year old, good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers