Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 PM

36 posts, read 39,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
This might be helpful to the OP - the student newspaper from Fayetteville High. It mentions that the school has both a Young Democrats and Young Republicans club.

"When interviewed, FHS students presented mixed and differing views.There were findings that suggested that FHS students take politics, both national and local, very deeply and seriously; others, however, were displeased and held more unfavorable views of current politics."

Poke around the school's website and the student newspaper, and you will learn a lot about the school.

https://fhsregister.com/442/news-bri...into-politics/
How fascinating that newspaper is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:16 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,395,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dil'se View Post
Wow..All DFWMike asked was "would I fit in since I lean left?"..So many of the replies were self-righteous indignation.

"Yes or No and why" would have helped better.
People are sick of politics dictating everything. It's a bad way to live and a bad example to set for future generations.

If you interpret that as "self righteous" so be it.

I'm actually pulling for Mike to make the move to NWA. I just don't think politics should play a role in his decision if that's where his heart is leading him.

Pretty simple.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:34 AM

827 posts, read 647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanii View Post
Did your liberal friends call you those names or were they talking about Trump's views?
I have no liberal friends!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:34 AM

[quote=DFWMike;49719069]"I love Northwest Arkansas. Have for years, we visited there last weekend and decided if we were able to move there Fayetteville would be the place. We have a pretty good spot here in Frisco, just missing mountains and clean air."

_______

I think the picture of Fayetteville is that it is nearly evenly divided between liberals and conservatives with the edge toward liberals. Clinton got the most votes in '16, but Trump got a large number of votes in each ward.

What is unsettling to me in thinking of retiring there is the chance of tornadoes. Looks like Fayetteville averages two a year. Yikes!

Old 10-21-2017, 07:24 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
[quote=Juanii;49878442]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
"I love Northwest Arkansas. Have for years, we visited there last weekend and decided if we were able to move there Fayetteville would be the place. We have a pretty good spot here in Frisco, just missing mountains and clean air."

_______

I think the picture of Fayetteville is that it is nearly evenly divided between liberals and conservatives with the edge toward liberals. Clinton got the most votes in '16, but Trump got a large number of votes in each ward.

What is unsettling to me in thinking of retiring there is the chance of tornadoes. Looks like Fayetteville averages two a year. Yikes!
they just say, if Fayetterville actually averages 2 tornadoes a year someone might want to tell the people who live there this. Or lets just say tornadoes that do any damage. I have lived in NWA almost 10 years now, can't remember a single tornado in Fayetteville that was news worthy. The year of the Joplin tornado which was about 6 years ago, there were several in the area that did minor damage. It was a scary night for most of us. That was the only time I can remember where there was something worth talking about.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:03 AM

1,349 posts, read 2,110,379 times
[quote=Juanii;49878442]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post

In ten years I am not aware of any tornadoes touching down in Fayetteville. It seems like maybe there was some minor tornado damage in outlying areas of the county, but that's it.

I'm interested to know where you found that data. Arkansas hasn't had a major storm like those that hit OKC regularly, or the Joplin storm, or the Alabama storms, that I am aware of.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:40 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,395,893 times
The worst tornadoes in Arkansas seem to frequently hit the Conway/Vilonia/Mayflower vicinity for whatever reason. They've had some giant twisters of ill repute over there. Kinda Arkansas' own little tornado alley.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:35 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,525,572 times
"Also note the overwhelming support for medical marijuana, which the state as a whole passed, and will be available early 2018."

It's about time! Now for the rest of the south. And I might add that I am conservative.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:39 PM

[quote=Rock Climber

In ten years I am not aware of any tornadoes touching down in Fayetteville. It seems like maybe there was some minor tornado damage in outlying areas of the county, but that's it.

I'm interested to know where you found that data. Arkansas hasn't had a major storm like those that hit OKC regularly, or the Joplin storm, or the Alabama storms, that I am aware of.[/QUOTE]

It took me a while to find it again -- there is an amazing number of sites with information on Arkansas tornadoes, but that one tidbit I found here: Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I can't vouch for the information, but NOAA and other sites do agree that Arkansas gets about 26 tornadoes a year, I believe, and there are plenty of tornado track maps that show the touchdown/path for tornadoes in the area, but these sites do not make it clear, or clear enough, that these can be F1 or F2 storms that do little damage (thank goodness).
Anyway, I'm glad my post got put up although I didn't mean for it to because now I have heard from you and one other poster that you haven't experienced a tornado in the last ten years! That's good to know.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2017 at 07:53 AM..

Old 10-21-2017, 08:53 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,525,572 times
Gosh, I read em all, and the only post that remotely seemed self righteous was the one that complained about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers