Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Very few kids/teens even hold political beliefs, where on earth did you get the idea they will judge others based on their views? politics is one of the most boring topics for a 16 year old, good grief.
how true that is. I am not sure why the poster feels this way? Not to mention, I am relatively sure Fayetteville is every bit as liberal as Frisco will ever be. We have to let our kids grow up, do their thing and realize what is interesting or important to us is not even on the map for kids in high school unless they are very unusual. I can certainly say, when our kids were still in school the conservative versus liberal attitudes of residence in places we lived never crossed our minds or their's either. I would be taken back if the schools tried to influence my kids thinking too much or teachers let the world know where they stood politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:40 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
This seems like a kind of subjective question because I don't know how you'll feel.

I consider myself a moderate but my children consider me a conservative. I'm certain that I'm to the right of my wife's beliefs.

I continue to be surprised to see all the TVs where ever I go tuned in to fox news but what is even more surprising to me is how many left leaning people I encounter at work.

At the haas hall high school there are fairly active young democrat and republican clubs. Some of the kids even have different views than their parents.

There is still hope for our future adults!

Old 10-13-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
This seems like a kind of subjective question because I don't know how you'll feel.

I consider myself a moderate but my children consider me a conservative. I'm certain that I'm to the right of my wife's beliefs.

I continue to be surprised to see all the TVs where ever I go tuned in to fox news but what is even more surprising to me is how many left leaning people I encounter at work.

At the haas hall high school there are fairly active young democrat and republican clubs. Some of the kids even have different views than their parents.

I think schools like Haas Hall are exceptions because they are charter or private and draw a different type of student. Most schools do not have young Rep or young Dem clubs. I do agree kids often think differently from their parents, at least when they are young adults.

In our family from my hubby and I, all the way down to our 2 grown granddaughters we hold similar views with some being more conservative than others. Our youngest granddaughter is as conservative as any young person I know; just like her dad Our other granddaughter is borderline, as is her husband. Our only non conservative is our son and he is the only one that is X military. Go figure.

The important thing I think is for the poster to realize, no matter where he chooses to live his child will be just fine when it comes to political views and leanings.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

I think schools like Haas Hall are exceptions because they are charter or private and draw a different type of student. Most schools do not have young Rep or young Dem clubs. I do agree kids often think differently from their parents, at least when they are young adults.

In our family from my hubby and I, all the way down to our 2 grown granddaughters we hold similar views with some being more conservative than others. Our youngest granddaughter is as conservative as any young person I know; just like her dad Our other granddaughter is borderline, as is her husband. Our only non conservative is our son and he is the only one that is X military. Go figure.

The important thing I think is for the poster to realize, no matter where he chooses to live his child will be just fine when it comes to political views and leanings.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:25 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
This might be helpful to the OP - the student newspaper from Fayetteville High. It mentions that the school has both a Young Democrats and Young Republicans club.

"When interviewed, FHS students presented mixed and differing views.There were findings that suggested that FHS students take politics, both national and local, very deeply and seriously; others, however, were displeased and held more unfavorable views of current politics."

Poke around the school's website and the student newspaper, and you will learn a lot about the school.

https://fhsregister.com/442/news-bri...into-politics/

Old 10-18-2017, 01:00 PM

93 posts, read 110,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
Some of my best friends are as liberal as they get. We get into healthy debates all the time.
Not my experience at all, sad to say. I've lost most of my older liberal friends. Politics was tolerable up to the Trump presidency, after that, any political discussion pretty quickly denigrated to name-calling ("racist" "fascist", "homophobic" "misogynist" etc.) Debates with liberals (unless they are Christians) quickly go bad. Those are names liberals call conservatives. Conservatives seem more willing to talk without the name-calling. Liberals seem intolerant of any opinions that vary from their own "progressive" ideas. It's really discouraging, make me wonder where this nation will be in another 20 years or so, the way it is going.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:36 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
Not my experience at all, sad to say. I've lost most of my older liberal friends. Politics was tolerable up to the Trump presidency, after that, any political discussion pretty quickly denigrated to name-calling ("racist" "fascist", "homophobic" "misogynist" etc.) Debates with liberals (unless they are Christians) quickly go bad. Those are names liberals call conservatives. Conservatives seem more willing to talk without the name-calling. Liberals seem intolerant of any opinions that vary from their own "progressive" ideas. It's really discouraging, make me wonder where this nation will be in another 20 years or so, the way it is going.

Yeah, I have experienced the same, and I used to be a flaming liberal.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:31 AM

39 posts, read 82,490 times
Wow..All DFWMike asked was "would I fit in since I lean left?"..So many of the replies were self-righteous indignation.

"Yes or No and why" would have helped better.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dil'se View Post
Wow..All DFWMike asked was "would I fit in since I lean left?"..So many of the replies were self-righteous indignation.

"Yes or No and why" would have helped better.
CD is an open forum and debates or sometimes getting off target does happen. I am sure if the OP isn't happy with the dialog he will get back to us.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:55 PM

36 posts, read 39,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post

Did your liberal friends call you those names or were they talking about Trump's views?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers