U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2017, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Frisco, Tx
419 posts, read 1,344,200 times
Reputation: 232

Advertisements

I love Northwest Arkansas. Have for years, we visited there last weekend and decided if we were able to move there Fayetteville would be the place. We have a pretty good spot here in Frisco, just missing mountains and clean air.

I have plenty of conservative friends but most are admittedly moderates. Will my son fair well in Fayetteville schools if he is interested in arts, soccer or band and not hunting or football? I grew up in East Texas and I don't want him to go to school in an exceedingly conservative environment like I did where everything revolved around football. We are spiritual but not traditionally Christian but I know there is a good sized Unitarian church and csl church in Fayetteville. We tried Benton county but that seemed more cookie cutter than Frisco outside of downtown and the crystal bridges area as well as seeming more conservative.

Fayetteville appears to be a great fit, is that just because of the university or is the town itself more left leaning? We do well in a rather conservative city already in Frisco. But this conservatism is more like libertarian conservatism in that tolerance for other cultures and lifestyles are relatively high for Texas.

I've been seeing post from mnita(I know you lived in DFW as well) for years, if she is indicative of the Northwest Arkansas spirit then we're good to go. If anyone has moved from DFW to northwest Arkansas with kids can enlighten me as well I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2017, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,681 posts, read 4,236,294 times
Reputation: 3352
Amazing how people continue to allow other people's politics, religion, lifestyle to dictate where they hang their hat.

Mike, do yourself a favor. If you love NWA as much as many of us in here do, then stop worrying about whether a certain faction of people will be accepting of you and your family and just GO. There are going to be people from all walks of life ANYWHERE you settle, no matter what the media or any political movement tries to sell you.

Are you still working? If so, you need to be more concerned about how much you'll make in Arkansas as opposed to the DFW area. We put everything we had into moving from DFW to NWA and could not do it because of the wage disparity. I'm in healthcare, so things may be different in correlation with your trade. You need to check it out before getting your hopes up, though.

Just PLEASE stop this liberal/conservative nonsense and live your life the way you want to, WHEREVER you want to.

That's America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 09:25 AM
 
39 posts, read 54,954 times
Reputation: 53
Fayetteville is one of the few blue dots in the red state. Your son will fit in well in Fayetteville High School. There are art, band, TV, and movie programs and clubs for him to get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Frisco, Tx
419 posts, read 1,344,200 times
Reputation: 232
Thank you for the grammar correction Cal...and Dil'se for the information. For Tyriztol, there's no need to judge my question instead of answering it. If I were moving without kids that would be one thing. Our salaries will be be exactly the same in nwa as DFW. I don't know how Fayetteville schools are other than stats, I still think it's a fair question, my apologies if I hit a sore spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas via ATX
1,241 posts, read 1,360,124 times
Reputation: 1659
Fayetteville is liberal. Look at the link I posted. Fayetteville's politics are the opposite of Bentonville's. It isn't just because of the university, although that is the root of it. Every single ward voted HRC over DJT, in a city of 85,000. Also note the overwhelming support for medical marijuana, which the state as a whole passed, and will be available early 2018.

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/20...eral-election/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,240 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Reputation: 38606
Mike, it doesn't make a lot of difference what your views are: you will be fine, especially in Fayetterville. No, burning the flag would not be accepted,nor would sitting during the pledge or the Anthem. But there are both conservatives and liberals throughout the NW corner and no one really pays much attention to how you feel. It is the same with church: no one cares if you are religious or a stay at home Sunday type. One of the most liberal churches in the state is in Fayetteville. It is St Pauls Episcopal church. On the other hand, some of the most conservatives churches are here.

As you know, I could work for the chamber of almost any city it NWA and be happy. We love it so much. Is it perfect? Of course not. No place is perfect, anymore than nobody is perfect. But, I can't think of a better place to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 06:32 AM
 
95 posts, read 94,907 times
Reputation: 141
Silly. Just silly.

I vote mostly libertarian/Republican.
My wife votes mostly Democrats.

Silly to think that your political views should dictate your relocate areas.

The left are evil....
The right are evil....
Politics are evil and to blame for many things (could go into detail but no one wants to read that stuff here.)

Love one another as your neighbor and work to make the world a better place regardless of what people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas via ATX
1,241 posts, read 1,360,124 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
Silly. Just silly.

I vote mostly libertarian/Republican.
My wife votes mostly Democrats.

Silly to think that your political views should dictate your relocate areas.

The left are evil....
The right are evil....
Politics are evil and to blame for many things (could go into detail but no one wants to read that stuff here.)

Love one another as your neighbor and work to make the world a better place regardless of what people think.
It's somewhat understandable, as Arkansas gets lumped in with "red state" this and that. Outsiders who know little about the area don't have much information to go on. That's why they come to places like CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,681 posts, read 4,236,294 times
Reputation: 3352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Thank you for the grammar correction Cal...and Dil'se for the information. For Tyriztol, there's no need to judge my question instead of answering it. If I were moving without kids that would be one thing. Our salaries will be be exactly the same in nwa as DFW. I don't know how Fayetteville schools are other than stats, I still think it's a fair question, my apologies if I hit a sore spot.
I wasn't seeking an apology, I just don't understand why people base everything in their lives on someone else's politics and /or lifestyle these days. Your original post about a potential NWA relocation was chock full of stereotyping and completely politically based. I'm sorry, but I just find that sad. Not sad as in DFWMike is sad, but sad as in you love the place and know you want to live there, but are actually worried you and your family won't fit in politically or socially. Screw that, man. This America, and people should never let any of that stuff even slow them for an instant if they've found their spot. Look...I'm very conservative, but have lived in (and loved living in) some of the most so called "liberal" areas of this country, including Massachusetts, Illinois, now here in Minnesota........and not once did I stop to worry about whether or not I should move to any of them because of any prevailing political atmosphere. I went and remained who I was. If someone didn't like it, hey that's America... that's their choice, and as long as everyone remains civil I am happy to live and let live. In the meantime, I experienced many wonderful places and met many wonderful people. Wouldn't change any of it for anything. This is an amazing, beautiful country, and I have been blessed to experience much of it without compromising my beliefs or giving a shred of thought to what someone else might think of myself or my family. As for NWA, yeah I'm pretty certain they won't run your son out of town for not being into hunting or football regardless of where you settle. That's stereotypical rubbish. The schools there have arts programs, bands and soccer teams just like anywhere else in the country and I'm quite sure there are a legion of kids who are happy as clams within them.

I'm envious that you can at least match your Texas salary in Arkansas. Had I been able to do that I'd be typing this from the Natural State this very minute. That said, I have no regrets. I found another area of this great land that called to me, and I went to it. There are people of all persuasions here, same as anywhere, and while our lives here will never be perfect, they are certainly blessed. That's good enough for me.

Incidentally, there are scores of ex-Texans living all over Arkansas, and especially NWA. It's not like Arkansas is on the other side of the country......it's right next door. As such, it makes sense to consider that you can probably expect a lot of similarities to where you live now, landscape aside.

Anyway, it sounds like NWA is yours for the taking, Mike. If you love it as you say you do, stop letting politics dictate your decision and start packing.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 10-05-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Status: "Praise Be" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Trumpville
7,258 posts, read 3,274,890 times
Reputation: 6300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I wasn't seeking an apology, I just don't understand why people base everything in their lives on someone else's politics and /or lifestyle these days. Your original post about a potential NWA relocation was chock full of stereotyping and completely politically based. I'm sorry, but I just find that sad. Not sad as in DFWMike is sad, but sad as in you love the place and know you want to live there, but are actually worried you and your family won't fit in politically or socially. Screw that, man. This America, and people should never let any of that stuff even slow them for an instant if they've found their spot. Look...I'm very conservative, but have lived in (and loved living in) some of the most so called "liberal" areas of this country, including Massachusetts, Illinois, now here in Minnesota........and not once did I stop to worry about whether or not I should move to any of them because of any prevailing political atmosphere. I went and remained who I was. If someone didn't like it, hey that's America... that's their choice, and as long as everyone remains civil I am happy to live and let live. In the meantime, I experienced many wonderful places and met many wonderful people. Wouldn't change any of it for anything. This is an amazing, beautiful country, and I have been blessed to experience much of it without compromising my beliefs or giving a shred of thought to what someone else might think of myself or my family. As for NWA, yeah I'm pretty certain they won't run your son out of town for not being into hunting or football regardless of where you settle. That's stereotypical rubbish. The schools there have arts programs, bands and soccer teams just like anywhere else in the country and I'm quite sure there are a legion of kids who are happy as clams within them.

I'm envious that you can at least match your Texas salary in Arkansas. Had I been able to do that I'd be typing this from the Natural State this very minute. That said, I have no regrets. I found another area of this great land that called to me, and I went to it. There are people of all persuasions here, same as anywhere, and while our lives here will never be perfect, they are certainly blessed. That's good enough for me.

Incidentally, there are scores of ex-Texans living all over Arkansas, and especially NWA. It's not like Arkansas is on the other side of the country......it's right next door. As such, it makes sense to consider that you can probably expect a lot of similarities to where you live now, landscape aside.

Anyway, it sounds like NWA is yours for the taking, Mike. If you love it as you say you do, stop letting politics dictate your decision and start packing.
I understand what you are saying, but it's easy for somebody who identifies with the dominant culture in an area to make statements like this. Being on the other side can be a completely different experience and I do believe that people have valid reasons for wanting to live in an area where they can be surrounded by like-minded people or at bare minimum, tolerated. Nobody wants to live in an area where they are forced to change who they are or be ostracized. Stereotypes also exist for a reason. Yes, they may be and most likely are exaggerated or outdated, but there is an element of truth to every stereotype.

With that said, I don't see why the OP would have any problems in NWA, especially Fayetteville. He probably will want to avoid rural Arkansas where many of the things he fears are indeed reality, but NWA is large and diverse enough that not subscribing to the dominant culture should not be too much of an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top