Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 04:27 AM

4 posts, read 4,899 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My family and I are looking to relocate some time in the spring of 2018 from Colorado. We have heard wonderful things about Northwest Arkansas, and I wanted to ask a few questions

First off, We are a very devout Christian family, and want to know if there are good options for churches in the area. And would you say people are overall friendly? Is it a "Southern Hospitality" type atmosphere?
Also, we are looking for a kid-friendly, safe area with not very much crime to raise our 2 small children. We want a place where we can feel safe taking them for walks around the neighborhood in the evenings. We also want a place where home break-ins and and car theft aren't much of an issue.

Second, we would love to have a town that isn't TOO big. Population-wise, I'm thinking probably no more than 45,000 people. We are in a very large city now, and definitely want to downsize. The crowds and traffic and rat race have become too much for us!

Does it snow there? Don't get me wrong, we love the snow, but here in Colorado after about 4 months of blizzards, and single digit temperatures, it gets very monotonous. And how hot do the summers get there? Is humidity as bad as Texas?

Also, is Tontitown a good option? Is there any new housing development there?

Basically, we're just trying to get a feel for what place would be best for us. Like I said, we don't really know much about the area, but everything we read, sounds great, and it sounds like it's just what we're looking for. Any and all info will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 06:46 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBronco View Post
Hello all!

My family and I are looking to relocate some time in the spring of 2018 from Colorado. We have heard wonderful things about Northwest Arkansas, and I wanted to ask a few questions

First off, We are a very devout Christian family, and want to know if there are good options for churches in the area. And would you say people are overall friendly? Is it a "Southern Hospitality" type atmosphere?
Also, we are looking for a kid-friendly, safe area with not very much crime to raise our 2 small children. We want a place where we can feel safe taking them for walks around the neighborhood in the evenings. We also want a place where home break-ins and and car theft aren't much of an issue.

Second, we would love to have a town that isn't TOO big. Population-wise, I'm thinking probably no more than 45,000 people. We are in a very large city now, and definitely want to downsize. The crowds and traffic and rat race have become too much for us!

Does it snow there? Don't get me wrong, we love the snow, but here in Colorado after about 4 months of blizzards, and single digit temperatures, it gets very monotonous. And how hot do the summers get there? Is humidity as bad as Texas?

Also, is Tontitown a good option? Is there any new housing development there?

Basically, we're just trying to get a feel for what place would be best for us. Like I said, we don't really know much about the area, but everything we read, sounds great, and it sounds like it's just what we're looking for. Any and all info will be much appreciated!
ok, here is comes from the number 1 NWA cheer leader. Family oriented, well let's just say our granddaughter and her family moved here about 3 years ago. she and her husband met at Col State. He was raised in Colo Springs and loves living here. They have 3 little girls. And yes, they are Christians with a lot of involvement in their church. Though the region isn't preachy at all, many people base a lot of their activities around their churches. Our granddaughter and family belong to a non denominational church. Mainly because they were raised in 2 different denominations. she was raised Episcopalian and he Baptist.
WE are Lutheran and we have a good number of young families getting involved in our church.

We are friendly, and yes, I guess you can call in southern hospitality but some may take that as phony. I don't think most who live here are phony, plus a large % of people in the area are transplants from other parts of the country.

As for Tonitown, I don't know if they have a lot of new development. Someone else can help you there. The areas that come to mind for me, when I think family are Rogers, Bentonville, yes, Bella Vista and Lowell is stating to take off, as well as Centerton. A lot depends on your housing budget.

As for the climate; we left Texas because it was just way to hot and humid. We do get humidity in the summer but certainly not like Texas, not as high temp for sure and teh summers are much shorter. Snow, again we get it and ice storms. But 10 years living here and only a couple of years have we had a lot of snow and/or ice.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:05 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,532,720 times
I lived in Houston 4 years then Castle Rock for 17 years and I found this summer in NW Ar the most comfortable of the 3 areas. June was very pleasant, July was pretty hot with most days low 90s for a high, August wasn't bad at all so the hot season was very short, and humidity was nothing like Houston where 6 months of the year are miserable, more like the midwest. Dry heat is overrated, I find some humidity an improvement given the same temps. All the neighbors tell me not to expect much if any snow, but possibly some ice issues. I find this a vast improvement over a wintry climate like the north or the Rockies, so my opinion overall is this climate is much better than Colorado.

Last edited by duke944; 10-22-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-22-2017, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 4,899 times
So far, from what I've been reading online, Bella Vista sounds like it may be what we're looking for. Can someone tell me more about that area? Are there plenty of jobs in Bentonville for someone living in BV?
Also, how far is the drive from BV to Springdale/Fayetteville?

Old 10-22-2017, 06:44 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,108,746 times
Bella Vista covers a large area. The drive-time would depend on what part of Bella Vista you live in. Generally it is about 30 minutes to Springdale/Fayetteville from Bella Vista.

Bentonville's economy revolves around the Walmart HQ. It is a rapidly growing town with lots of new development, so there are lots of jobs there, depending on your resume.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:55 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,532,720 times
Bella Vista is where I moved to. It's a quiet, very low crime area in what I would describe as hill country. Diverse wildlife, friendly people. Very boring if you are a city or nightlife person. Bentonville and Rogers are close, but that doesn't change my last statement.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBronco View Post
So far, from what I've been reading online, Bella Vista sounds like it may be what we're looking for. Can someone tell me more about that area? Are there plenty of jobs in Bentonville for someone living in BV?
Also, how far is the drive from BV to Springdale/Fayetteville?
First of all: sorry about the Broncos horrible loss yesterday, what a shocker to many of us NFL fans.

Now, as for BV: with kids, as much as I hate to say this cause I live in the Highlands section, the east side of 71 is where the young families are moving to because of the Bentonville schools. There are some area on the west side that are also part of Bentonville schools.

Job wise, the entire area have a very low unemployment rate. Yes, Walmart is the main employer but there are many mid size and larger companies. With our new bypass, driving to Rogers and Bentonville is getting easier and easier. We are a great community for outdoor living and family activities. Just the number of festivals and family get together's prove this. A lot of people think of BV as a retirement community, not so much anymore and every year the median age goes down.

If you have anymore questions just let us know. Several of us can give you some information on the community.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM

68 posts, read 58,423 times
I have two very small children and we moved here from Texas (by way of Georgia). We currently live in Fayetteville and love it. I don't know much about the Rogers and Bentonville areas, but I can give you a perspective of the Fayetteville area. I would say that most of our friends and neighbors are religious, but never have pushed religion on us. Most people do go to church on Sundays. There is abundant southern hospitality here, but I would say that it is genuine and not phony like was voiced above. It does get humid for me here, but it is nothing like the humidity we had in Texas or Georgia. Fayetteville is closer to 75,000, but it honestly doesn't feel big at all, and you can get to most places in 10-15 minutes (when it is not gameday).

Old 10-23-2017, 10:42 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,108,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaMarieB View Post
There is abundant southern hospitality here, but I would say that it is genuine and not phony like was voiced above.
I agree with this sentiment. This is not "deep south" culture, wherein it often feels like people are trying to "place you" into whatever social class they deem you to belong. I think Fayetteville people, in general, are just open and friendly. Some of that is small-town Southern, some of it is just being a city with many, generally happy, intelligent people.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
I agree with this sentiment. This is not "deep south" culture, wherein it often feels like people are trying to "place you" into whatever social class they deem you to belong. I think Fayetteville people, in general, are just open and friendly. Some of that is small-town Southern, some of it is just being a city with many, generally happy, intelligent people.
I agree with you. There is deep south friendliness which can be phony and there is true: I really like you friendliness or you are always welcome here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers