Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 06:22 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,315,810 times

Advertisements

As some may have read I am considering a move from Plano Tx to NW Arkansas or Knoxville. I am retired and need access to good medical experts in Auto Immune issues for my wife.

I am am looking at homes in the $600k to $1000k price range. My wife and I both are from Oklahoma with some family in this area and both of us loved NWAnkansaw when we visited. However the state income tax in Ar hits me pretty hard. My combined state income tax and property tax in Ar are definitely higher in Ar if I buy a home priced near where my current Tx home is. I have distant family in Tn and have visited with family in the past. Their combined state income and overall property tax for my situation is significantly lower than either in Tx or Ar. I can adjust my new home price to the lower end of my range and make Ar comparable to my current situation and see homes in that price range that are appealing as part of my lifestyle in Ar.

Setting aside taxes I am looking for some comparisons from someone who has lived in both NWA and Knoxville area. I posted this question in the Tn form as well.

What we like about NWA is how new things are with the recent growth and the natural beauty of the area as well as the more laid back lifestyle we think we would experience there compared to Plano where we now live. Thanks in advance for any comments or guidance you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 06:45 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,372,811 times
I think NWA vs. Knox is an interesting comparison. Both areas with large flagship state univ and close to hilly/mountainous outdoor rec,. I have been to Knox but not NWA. But I'm very interested in visiting Fayetteville. I generally liked Knox. It still has a lot of grit and is not polished. But overall I liked the area, the scenery, the energy the univ brings, affordability, etc... one thing about TN is they DO tax interest and dividend income (TX, WA, WY, FL, NV does not). I get much of my income from interest and dividend income so the fact TN doesn't have a earned state income tax didn't help me much.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:28 AM

32,797 posts, read 12,086,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I think NWA vs. Knox is an interesting comparison. Both areas with large flagship state univ and close to hilly/mountainous outdoor rec,. I have been to Knox but not NWA. But I'm very interested in visiting Fayetteville. I generally liked Knox. It still has a lot of grit and is not polished. But overall I liked the area, the scenery, the energy the univ brings, affordability, etc...one thing about TN is they DO tax interest and dividend income (TX, WA, WY, FL, NV does not). I get much of my income from interest and dividend income so the fact TN doesn't have a earned state income tax didn't help me much.
The bolded (aka the Hall Tax) will disappear in 2022:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...-law/84044810/

Old 02-01-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The bolded (aka the Hall Tax) will disappear in 2022:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...-law/84044810/
Heck 4 years may have to fire up the truck and aim it towards that TN line!

Old 02-01-2018, 01:34 PM

32,797 posts, read 12,086,386 times
Quote:
Heck 4 years may have to fire up the truck and aim it towards that TN line!

Yeah. I live in Texas, but Texas may lose me to Nevada, as I don't like being so far away from downhill/Alpine skiing...and I don't want to live in El Paso.

Re skiing and taxes, Tennessee will have a similar appeal starting in 2022 .

Old 02-01-2018, 10:30 PM

It would be interesting if anyone has spent a lot of time in both Knox and Fayetteville could compare and contrast. I find those to areas a really interesting comparison. How they compare on housing costs, scenery, airport, weather, overall vibe, etc... and which they like better and why. NWA is a place I have wanted to visit for a while now, I really have to get out there so I can make this comparison myself. I visited Knox last year and had a favorable impression. It's not a "shiny penny" by any means, but I see potential. I like the music scene out Knox and TN as it has a lot of bluegrass, country, americana, mnt music, bluesy, southern rock, etc.. Not sure on NWA music scene.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:16 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
It would be interesting if anyone has spent a lot of time in both Knox and Fayetteville could compare and contrast. I find those to areas a really interesting comparison. How they compare on housing costs, scenery, airport, weather, overall vibe, etc... and which they like better and why. NWA is a place I have wanted to visit for a while now, I really have to get out there so I can make this comparison myself. I visited Knox last year and had a favorable impression. It's not a "shiny penny" by any means, but I see potential. I like the music scene out Knox and TN as it has a lot of bluegrass, country, americana, mnt music, bluesy, southern rock, etc.. Not sure on NWA music scene.
We had, originally considered TN for retirement. Knoxville was just a little too isolated for us. WE lover the overall look of TN and the people were really friendly, much like NWA, but there just wasn't that "it grabs me" feeling we got the first time we visited NWA. I think this region is a little more diverse than Knoxville. We have the best of both worlds in my opinion: rural and suburban combined. As for the music scene, we have a total mixture but Knoxville might have slightly more true bluegrass.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 PM

4,324 posts, read 4,266,656 times
I currently live 20 miles from Knoxville and have lived in Fayetteville, Ar twice -- once in the late 70's and once about 6 years ago.
I have commented several times on how similar the two areas are. Both close to mountains and streams. Both home to big time universities (same conference even). Both close to major attractions like Gatlinburg, Silver Dollar City, Branson, Dollywood --- etc. They do have some skiing in Gatlinburg that Ar does not have but the canoeing and kayaking rivers in NW Ar are excellent, Both have lakes very near -- Beaver in Ar and Fort Loudon here.
Fayetteville has a better farmer's market -- not even close.
The airports are pretty similar -- I have flown in and out of both.
Knoxville has better interstate access -- I-40 and I-75.
Housing and taxes are cheaper in Tn and so is gasoline. Liquor and groceries are cheaper in Ar.
The weather extremes are worse in Ar but not by much. Quite a bit less ice here.
Both have good dining but I have to give NWA the slight nod due to their excellent BBQ, AQ chicken and the the combined Fayetteville/Rogers restaurant choices.

The deciding factors for most people are gonna be
1. Family
2. Where did you grow up and which form of redneck do you speak best (joking, sort of) -- (mine is with an Okie accent)
3. Which just feels best after being there a while.

We visited East Tennessee in 3 different seasons over 2 years to help us decide if we would like it here. Honestly, I would be content in either locale but where we've landed suits me pretty good so I believe I'll stay put.

hope this helps

Old 02-02-2018, 01:53 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I currently live 20 miles from Knoxville and have lived in Fayetteville, Ar twice -- once in the late 70's and once about 6 years ago.
I have commented several times on how similar the two areas are. Both close to mountains and streams. Both home to big time universities (same conference even). Both close to major attractions like Gatlinburg, Silver Dollar City, Branson, Dollywood --- etc. They do have some skiing in Gatlinburg that Ar does not have but the canoeing and kayaking rivers in NW Ar are excellent, Both have lakes very near -- Beaver in Ar and Fort Loudon here.
Housing and taxes are cheaper in Tn and so is gasoline. Liquor and groceries are cheaper in Ar.
The weather extremes are worse in Ar but not by much. Quite a bit less ice here.
Both have good dining but I have to give NWA the slight nod due to their excellent BBQ, AQ chicken and the the combined Fayetteville/Rogers restaurant choices.

1. Family
2. Where did you grow up and which form of redneck do you speak best (joking, sort of) -- (mine is with an Okie accent)

We visited East Tennessee in 3 different seasons over 2 years to help us decide if we would like it here. Honestly, I would be content in either locale but where we've landed suits me pretty good so I believe I'll stay put.

hope this helps
As we age you hit something that hasn't been mentioned that much: family. Even though our main reason fro choosing NWA was just the positive vibes we got but being closer to our family in Texas. Of course now, that family all lives within 15 or 20 of our house. It is a amazing how things can change in just a short time.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:25 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,390,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post

1. Family

hope this helps
Great Post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers