Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:49 AM

20 posts, read 23,546 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Yes this is a typical "thinking of moving here" post lol. I'm just wondering if anyone can offer insights to good vs bad areas. One site showed crime statistics not being too bad but another ranked Rogers as an F for crime so any help would be appreciated.
Also wondering if there are any big homeschooling communities there? Or if anyone can tell me anything about homeschooling there I'd appreciate it. My husband and I both work mainly from home but I do have to have close access to shopping (part of my job) and I hate driving so I don't want to be too far. I've been looking in the Bentonville-Springdale area. We'd prefer not to be in the city but still would like quiet and privacy without being out in the sticks.
We also have a 3 year old so being around things for her to do and other families is definitely a plus. We're just looking for a friendly, happy, safe place to settle down. Please throw thoughts, knowledge and opinions my way! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,213,312 times
when I compare NWA to my old neighborhood in Rockland county NY, there are no bad areas here.

Others may tell you different, but that's my statement and I'm sticking to it. You'll need to see for yourself since your idea of bad is not the same as anyone elses.

Lots of home schoolers here, but if you plan on avoiding driving by living close to shopping, you'd pretty much need to live in the strip mall.

Driving is easy here since most folks will get in harms way to be courteous.

My kids learned to drive stick and start driving themselves to school when they each hit 14. That's 2 years earlier than in NY.

what's your price range?

Old 03-02-2018, 10:45 AM

Thank you for your response! What are the towns/areas with a lot of homeschoolers? Our price range is TBD but we'll be renting. I've been looking a little bit on craigslist just to get an idea of prices but of course I don't know the neighborhoods. Under $1000/month would be nice but I don't know the likelihood of that happening in a nice area. I thought the ozarks sounded nice but have never been anywhere near there and I'm nervous to make such a long trip into such unknown! Right now we're in rural PA with little to no crime which is great but the weather among other factors make this not a viable choice anymore. We like scenery and terrain (no flatlands). We also would like a family friendly area but preferably not with houses on top of each other. This might sound weird but I'm a little nervous about tornadoes too. Are they a common occurrence?

Old 03-02-2018, 01:10 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,618,172 times
I'm not sure what you're looking for, you currently live in a rural area and now you're looking at Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville which are not rural areas nor are they mountainous. You want to be close to shops and hate to drive but you don't want to be in the city or a close subdivision.

I think if you are wanting the "Ozarks", and no flatlands, you're probably looking at the wrong areas, but then if you want to be near the mountains and rural areas, you won't be near shops and you'll have to drive more.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:21 PM

I don't want to be rural like we are now(we're alone on 86 acres) but I would like a little distance between houses. I just don't like when your neighbors can see into your house or yard. I know those areas are not mountainous which is fine, but my husband will go nuts if it's just all flat as far as the eye can see. I was thinking of checking out towns like Centerton, Prairie Creek, Cave Springs, Lowell etc. Or maybe even a quieter area of Bentonville or Rogers. The thought of spending so much time and money to check out a place I know nothing about (except what the internet says) is just overwhelming so I'm hoping to gather as much info as possible from you guys!

Old 03-02-2018, 06:18 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,213,312 times
There are no specific towns where all the home schoolers are. Some people choose it for religious regions, some because their child has special needs.

if you are unwilling to travel here, there's really no way we can help you in any meaningful way.

How did you even choose to look at NWA as a place to move? an entry on a best place to live article? you understand that next year could very well be some other place?

For privacy seekers, check out westfork, and pea ridge. We're not oklahoma flat here nor are we particularly mountainous, however, fayetteville has enough hills to torment the new clutch drivers.

take a week and see it for yourself. Get an idea of what you want and where you want to concentrate. That's all we can really tell you. Google streets won't give you a great feel/vibe of the areas.

I checked out some apartments in Rogers and Bentonville for a friend and you can do fairly well with 600-800 per month in rent for a 1 bedroom. My daughter shares a townhouse in fayetteville (college town) and they pay around 900 per month for a 3 bedroom.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:36 PM

We are planning to travel down there I just wanted to make sure we get to visit the areas that might suit our needs. I was looking around at different states' homeschooling laws and MO has desirable ones and the Ozarks always looked nice so I started there. But I couldn't find places with good crime rates on the MO side so I started checking into the AR side. Also, Google maps says it's about 30 minutes from Rogers to Fayetteville which covers the shopping areas I was looking for. Thank you for the suggestions of Westfork and Pea Ridge. I will be sure to check them out!

Old 03-02-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithTheNortheast View Post
We are planning to travel down there I just wanted to make sure we get to visit the areas that might suit our needs. I was looking around at different states' homeschooling laws and MO has desirable ones and the Ozarks always looked nice so I started there. But I couldn't find places with good crime rates on the MO side so I started checking into the AR side. Also, Google maps says it's about 30 minutes from Rogers to Fayetteville which covers the shopping areas I was looking for. Thank you for the suggestions of Westfork and Pea Ridge. I will be sure to check them out!
There isn't any high crime areas anywhere in NWA. Rogers will offer you all the shopping you'll need. It is 30 minutes from Rogers to Fayetteville assuming there is no traffic. I finished homeschooling a high school aged son in AR and the laws are very friendly for homeschoolers. (I don't live in NWA but my oldest son does).

Old 03-03-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
There isn't any high crime areas anywhere in NWA. Rogers will offer you all the shopping you'll need. It is 30 minutes from Rogers to Fayetteville assuming there is no traffic. I finished homeschooling a high school aged son in AR and the laws are very friendly for homeschoolers. (I don't live in NWA but my oldest son does).
Thank you! From what I've read, you must file a notice of intent to homeschool every year and then they pretty much leave you alone. No test scores, no visits, nothing. Is that right?

Old 03-03-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithTheNortheast View Post
Thank you! From what I've read, you must file a notice of intent to homeschool every year and then they pretty much leave you alone. No test scores, no visits, nothing. Is that right?
Yes, that's about it. I kept a transcript of the subjects we covered and what resources we used, but that was it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers