Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:53 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,692 times

Advertisements

Just realized I haven't updated this. In short, we should be closing on our house in Bentonville around Nov. 28th. So we are moving up there just in time to freeze!

After our trip in late June, we did decide to make the move. It took just over a month for us to get our house ready to go on the market. We accepted an offer in late Sept. We made a 5 day trip back up there to house hunt, focusing in Rogers and Bentonville and made an offer.

Our closing here was originally supposed to be Nov. 8, but our buyers had a small snag and now we are on track for closing here Nov. 26.

We are just hoping we can get the U-haul up there without running into any snow or ice!

Of course, this supposes the builder fixes all the things on the inspection report and punch list!

Is it normal for it to get this cold so early? Also, we've never had gas heat before...is it pretty efficient? I'm assuming electrical bills run lower during winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 07:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
Just realized I haven't updated this. In short, we should be closing on our house in Bentonville around Nov. 28th. So we are moving up there just in time to freeze!

After our trip in late June, we did decide to make the move. It took just over a month for us to get our house ready to go on the market. We accepted an offer in late Sept. We made a 5 day trip back up there to house hunt, focusing in Rogers and Bentonville and made an offer.

Our closing here was originally supposed to be Nov. 8, but our buyers had a small snag and now we are on track for closing here Nov. 26.

We are just hoping we can get the U-haul up there without running into any snow or ice!

Of course, this supposes the builder fixes all the things on the inspection report and punch list!

Is it normal for it to get this cold so early? Also, we've never had gas heat before...is it pretty efficient? I'm assuming electrical bills run lower during winter?
It's not normal, but it's also not unusual for it to get this cold so early. In winter the temps are erratic in Northwest Arkansas. You'll have a day when the temperature doesn't get to 40 followed by a day in the 60's. Gas heat is efficient, depending on what kind of furnace you have, and how well insulated the house is. My utility bills are lower in the cooler months, but I tend to like a cooler temp, so I don't run the heat as much in the winter, and I really crank up the air conditioning in the summer. Even if there were a snow or ice storm between now and your move, it likely wouldn't delay you very much. Typically, the snow or ice melts quickly.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:

welcome to your new home or almost. I am sure, in spite of the weather you will love living here. Is is normal? Actually, if you follow the weather on the net or the paper, for the most part our nights have been a bit over average, but the days below and no this is a little early. It is sorta like the year in Dallas when we had a huge ice storm on Thanksgiving day. I am guessing it was about 1995 or so.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Thank you for the responses DC and nmita. Sorry for not replying earlier. Busy with boxes! I'm glad to know this cold is a little early at least, even if it can happen and temps can be erratic. My brother will be driving the Uhaul for us and hopefully either Monday afternoon and/or Tuesday will be pretty clear for him. Our route will bring us up 49 from Ft. Smith.

In future, when my brother visits, what is the best route between Oklahoma City and Bentonville? Google maps says OKC to Tulsa then 412/116/12 is fastest? How are those roads?

Old 11-20-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the responses DC and nmita. Sorry for not replying earlier. Busy with boxes! I'm glad to know this cold is a little early at least, even if it can happen and temps can be erratic. My brother will be driving the Uhaul for us and hopefully either Monday afternoon and/or Tuesday will be pretty clear for him. Our route will bring us up 49 from Ft. Smith.

In future, when my brother visits, what is the best route between Oklahoma City and Bentonville? Google maps says OKC to Tulsa then 412/116/12 is fastest? How are those roads?
Those roads are fine, but mostly turnpikes in Oklahoma. Be prepared with change!

Old 11-20-2018, 07:57 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Yep those roads are good but if you or your brother will drive the toll roads frequently just get a toll pass, otherwise you have to stop and put money in.

FYI if you will travel to Dallas as well as OKC a North Texas Toll Tag works for both.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Yep those roads are good but if you or your brother will drive the toll roads frequently just get a toll pass, otherwise you have to stop and put money in.

FYI if you will travel to Dallas as well as OKC a North Texas Toll Tag works for both.

Thanks. After moving, doubt we will drive to Dallas much. We will have to come down in January for a dr.'s appt my mom has, but otherwise probably not.

However...with my brother in OKC, that is more possible. And he may already have a toll pass, but I'm not sure.

How does 412 compare to 49 in terms of curves and hills? Don't get me wrong, 49 doesn't bother me, just curious.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks. After moving, doubt we will drive to Dallas much. We will have to come down in January for a dr.'s appt my mom has, but otherwise probably not.

However...with my brother in OKC, that is more possible. And he may already have a toll pass, but I'm not sure.

How does 412 compare to 49 in terms of curves and hills? Don't get me wrong, 49 doesn't bother me, just curious.
412 is mostly straight and flat. As you approach Springdale, lots of stoplights, and you have to watch for people darting in from sidestreets.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
412 is mostly straight and flat. As you approach Springdale, lots of stoplights, and you have to watch for people darting in from sidestreets.

Thanks! I figured stoplights in Siloam Springs and approaching Springdale. Good to know.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Thanks! I figured stoplights in Siloam Springs and approaching Springdale. Good to know.
Plus it is one place where you are going to see a lot of traffic. Rush hour seems to be all day, almost like Dallas. Well not really!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers