Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 12:36 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times

Advertisements

Check out the Jones Center in Springdale for swimming, workout classes, ice skating rink, gardens, etc. It's fabulous!

If you have grandchildren come to visit, that's the place to take them to burn off some energy.

It used to be free but I'm not sure it is any more...but it's still inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 01:05 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
412 from Tulsa all the way through Springdale and out to Harrison is actually one of our favorite drives in that region. There's nothing really spectacular about it like there is going up 49 through the Bostons, the Pig Trail, or Scenic 7, but 412 is just that quietly beautiful, bucolic drive with meadows and hills stretching to the horizon......with the exception of the built up and busy 49 corridor, of course. It was always a very comfortable, wide and well maintained road to traverse when we utilized it. A good portion of 412 is 4 lanes with a median if I remember correctly. There are no mountain type curves or grades to negotiate from Tulsa to Springdale that I can recall.

So OKC to Bentonville via I-44 and 412 is fastest, but taking I-40 to I-49 is only 20 minutes longer and that route is toll free. I just love the drive up 49 through the Bostons.....that's definitely the most beautiful interstate route anywhere in the Ark-La-Tex region, although I would likely steer clear of it in any kind of winter weather scenario if I had a flatter route option.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:25 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times
Thanks Tyryztoll for more details about the road. Sounds like when we start missing the open rolling prairie of our current location, a drive along 412 might be just the thing, tolled or not!

Also, good to know that 412 is a good option depending on destination if winter weather sets in. It looks like on our drive up from Texas on either Monday or Tuesday, things will be just fine though.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
Thanks Tyryztoll for more details about the road. Sounds like when we start missing the open rolling prairie of our current location, a drive along 412 might be just the thing, tolled or not!

Also, good to know that 412 is a good option depending on destination if winter weather sets in. It looks like on our drive up from Texas on either Monday or Tuesday, things will be just fine though.

Thanks!

Hey no problem. I'm a former Metroplex resident who discovered Arkansas while I was living in DFW and fell head over heels for it, so I always kinda live vicariously through others in this forum who wind up moving there. We were never able to do it for employment reasons, but we spent a lot of time in NWA and I really feel you'll love it. It's obviously not DFW in terms of size and amenities, but it's a beautiful, vibrant, growing region that sits right in that transition zone from Midwest to deep south. Yes, it'll be a lot colder in the winter than DFW, but keep in mind that much of the country, including NWA, is seeing an abnormally cold fall this year, so take that for what it is.

Don't know which route you're taking up from DFW, but we used to take US 75 into Oklahoma, which then became 69 all the way to Checotah, then I-40 to I-49. If you go that route McAlester, OK is a good town to stop and eat/re-fuel/etc. as it has many options for travelers. It's also a good idea to make sure you're not low on fuel between McAlester and Checotah, as there's a lot of water crossing without exits between the two in correlation with the Canadian River and Lake Eufaula. Of course, none of this applies if you happen to be taking I-35 into OK from points west.

Anyway, God bless with your move and all the best to you and your family. Even though I don't physically live there I am always there in spirit, so I feel entitled to say welcome to the Natural State!

Old 11-28-2018, 12:46 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Just realized I haven't updated this. In short, we should be closing on our house in Bentonville around Nov. 28th. So we are moving up there just in time to freeze!

After our trip in late June, we did decide to make the move. It took just over a month for us to get our house ready to go on the market. We accepted an offer in late Sept. We made a 5 day trip back up there to house hunt, focusing in Rogers and Bentonville and made an offer.

Our closing here was originally supposed to be Nov. 8, but our buyers had a small snag and now we are on track for closing here Nov. 26.

We are just hoping we can get the U-haul up there without running into any snow or ice!

Of course, this supposes the builder fixes all the things on the inspection report and punch list!

Is it normal for it to get this cold so early? Also, we've never had gas heat before...is it pretty efficient? I'm assuming electrical bills run lower during winter?
My girlfriend has gas heat, I have a heat pump + furnace (electric). When its in the single-digits, my electric bill can be $300/mo. During the summer, I usually am at around 130-160/mo. 1600SF house, insulated crawl-space, 2 story, 13 SEER 3.5 ton unit.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
My mother and I are coming up for 2 nights to have a look around and see if it makes the list for potential moves. My mother is a recent retiree (12 months ago) and widow (16 months ago). I am currently living with her...I had left my job to help care for my father. So we would be moving together.

One of the main reasons for considering moving is to downsize to a smaller yard. Mom is getting tired of the upkeep on our half acre lot. And also, the summer heat. There is just so much of the day where you can't do anything outside. Moving to a house on a smaller lot in our area won't gain us much...same weather and increased property taxes on a new purchase.

So, a few questions...

1. The real estate market looks pretty healthy (read: hot!) in the $200-250k range. Just going by what we've seen online. Is this pretty accurate? Are houses moving pretty quickly? Is there a "better" time of year to be a buyer, ie. a time of year when the market moves a little slower, or is everything just in demand right now?
Everything is in demand all the time. Demand tracks inversely with distance to down-town Bentonville.

2. Job market...since I was helping care for my father, I've been out of the workplace for several years now. Are there employers who give a chance to those who haven't worked in several years? I'll need to get some sort of job...just so I can have health insurance again! We have low unemployment. That's about as far as I'll go, given lack of info on you.

3. Income tax vs. property tax...any other former Texans made the move? Obviously we would be giving up having no state income, but with the lower property taxes in Arkansas, it might come out even? Sales tax seems higher in AR also...online it looks like over 9%! Then again, we have 8.25% where we are now. Bentonville taxes kindof suck. I moved to SWMO, about 30 minutes north, to avoid that. It's kindof a wash with Texas, depending on where you live in TX.

4. We have a pretty good YMCA/Community Center...including a lap pool, gym, classes, etc. I did find that Bentonville has a pretty good looking Community Center. Do the other towns have anything similar? If not, are there gyms or something that have lap pools? Tons of gyms, not sure about pools as I'm not a swimmer, but my gf goes to YMCA in SWMO, and they have a pool, so SURELY NWA has pools?

5. House insurance...in the above mentioned price range, anyone able to share about what house insurance will run? Will it be cheaper than Texas? Some people say that our insurance in Texas is high due to large amounts of wind and hail damage. My home is insured for $150K, and it costs me roughly 1300/year. 2006 construction,asphalt shingle roof, 2 story, 1600sf, crawl-space (insulated), vinyl siding. I live in SWMO though, and insurance is slightly cheaper there, but shouldn't be out of the ballpark. Taxes are roughly $800/year

6. Suggestions on anything we should check out? I personally would suggest moving to SWMO. Less people, within 30-40 minutes to Bentonville, far less taxes, you can get about 25% more home for your money vs. anywhere in Benton county pretty much.

7. Almost forgot...how is the ground for gardening? Is it too rocky?
It's rocky, but you can garden.
Thanks for any input!
Comments in red.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Thank you nmnita! Your rec center sounds great! We do need an indoor pool for mom...she is on some medication that makes her very sun sensitive, so outdoor wouldn't work for her. But otherwise it sounds great!

re: Bella Vista, I assume that commuting to Bentonville isn't too bad since it is so close? But if my job were further south, ie. Springdale or even Fayetteville, the commute would be correspondingly longer? When I was working (I lived in North Carolina for 12 years), but preferred commute was 15-20 minutes.
I live in SWMO, a bit north of BV, and a bit east. Bentonville is 35 minutes, and Fayetteville is about 50. I gladly commute to avoid living near people.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I live in SWMO, a bit north of BV, and a bit east. Bentonville is 35 minutes, and Fayetteville is about 50. I gladly commute to avoid living near people.
Some good advise JW, some I disagree with. The part I have a problem with is SWMO versus NWA. Yes, the taxes as in sales tax are lower, but have you checked things like property taxes? Usually one offsets the other. And as for the drive, 20 minutes here, 35 there on a daily basis can amount up after awhile. I will add, I do like portions of SWM. I do find shopping there, even grocery shopping not as available as even BV. And the fact MO ran out of funds to finish the BV by pass is not a good thing.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:34 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times
Hey everyone. We are here. We did close on the house Wednesday. And got internet on this afternoon! (the important things!)

Our builder is going to have to send someone out to have a look at the gas insert fireplace. It keeps completely shutting off, flame and pilot light. When it is running, it is great how much space (open living room, kitchen) that it warms up. I'm good with cooler bedrooms for sleeping...and my office usually runs a few degrees warmer anyway thanks to electronic equipment!

Unpacking is going to take a while though!

Old 11-29-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone. We are here. We did close on the house Wednesday. And got internet on this afternoon! (the important things!)

Our builder is going to have to send someone out to have a look at the gas insert fireplace. It keeps completely shutting off, flame and pilot light. When it is running, it is great how much space (open living room, kitchen) that it warms up. I'm good with cooler bedrooms for sleeping...and my office usually runs a few degrees warmer anyway thanks to electronic equipment!

Unpacking is going to take a while though!

Glad you made it. Possible severe weather in your area tomorrow. Stay safe and enjoy your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers