U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2018, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38646

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
Yes, diversity like I’ve stated is very important to me. Unless you’ve experienced racism first hand, you probably wouldn’t understand why. Why would I want my kids knowing only one color of people? I want them to experience a whole lot of different religions/ races/ nationalities etc. I’ve grown up in diversity and have lived my entire life with it. I am much more comfortable around different people. I like culture
I obviously don’t know how certain places are when it comes to diversity, which is why I make it a point to ask before I waste my time and money traveling to an area that wouldn’t fit our criteria anyway. I have only lived in NY and have never ventured farther west than western NY and Ohio years ago and as far as south, we’ve only spent time in NC , SC and FL.

NWA will be off my list anyway.
I will repeat what I said earlier; I really think the dream area you are seeking is not going to be found. No one ever suggested you only introduce your children to only one color. that is not even possible in this day in age I think the point pretty much is or was: are you putting too much into the diversity issue? I have also read some of your other posts; it seems you really are looking for a needle in a hay stack. Good luck with your search for paradise.

Unlike you, race has never been an issue for us as we are white, but we do have friends of all colors and religions. Many live right here in NWA. Our grand daughters little girls best friend is black. This isn't an issue for anyone. The point is: for us, when we decided to look for our piece of heaven for our autumn years we did a lot or research and a lot of visiting. Our first choice did not work out. After 7 years we realized we had made a mistake. We then started the procedure all over again. This time with unbelievable results. The reason we had such a wonderful experience this time around, we knew we couldn't have it all and took the negatives with the positives. the longer we are here, the more we have learned to deal with the down side. It is called reality. I think you will come to understand that sooner or later.

 
Old 08-15-2018, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,682 posts, read 4,237,627 times
Reputation: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I will repeat what I said earlier; I really think the dream area you are seeking is not going to be found.
What I was getting at was I think they've already found it - right where they already are.

"When we move, we want this - (already have it)".

"And this - (already have that, too)."

"Don't forget this - (you guessed it....they've got it)".

By the way, OP - NWA is over 500,000 people, and no, not all of them are white. Additionally, I would contend that people can be "diverse" and possess "culture" regardless of their skin color or background. Those words are too broad to me to be handcuffed by racial profiling. If it seems you struck a nerve, it's because you did. People want racism to disappear and then turn around and say "I need to be around people just like me as one of my criteria for moving". If you were serious about combating racism you would go where you wanted to go without worrying who will and won't accept your family, and you would just be you, because that's the essence of living. You scrape off the people who don't like you for whatever reason and embrace the people who do. This isn't any new age wisdom, it's called not caring what others think as long as you're not hurting anyone and are a contributing member of a civilized society.
 
Old 08-15-2018, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
What I was getting at was I think they've already found it - right where they already are.

"When we move, we want this - (already have it)".

"And this - (already have that, too)."

"Don't forget this - (you guessed it....they've got it)".

By the way, OP - NWA is over 500,000 people, and no, not all of them are white. Additionally, I would contend that people can be "diverse" and possess "culture" regardless of their skin color or background. Those words are too broad to me to be handcuffed by racial profiling. If it seems you struck a nerve, it's because you did. People want racism to disappear and then turn around and say "I need to be around people just like me as one of my criteria for moving". If you were serious about combating racism you would go where you wanted to go without worrying who will and won't accept your family, and you would just be you, because that's the essence of living. You scrape off the people who don't like you for whatever reason and embrace the people who do. This isn't any new age wisdom, it's called not caring what others think as long as you're not hurting anyone and are a contributing member of a civilized society.
yes, it seems all she would gain from a move might be warmer, less snow winters and maybe a little lower cost of living. You are right on. Maybe she just needs to just relax and enjoy what she has going for her.
 
Old 08-15-2018, 01:35 PM
 
644 posts, read 142,203 times
Reputation: 1298
When I looked for a relocation place, I researched hundreds of places in Georgia, TN, MS, Alabama and Arkansas.

I was coming from an all white area and certainly didn't make that a criteria.
However,in retirement I was not willing to move to a high crime area just to prove I loved diversity and wasn't a racist.

I did find....ONE...city with a rather high percentage of Blacks and a low crime rate.

Brookhaven Mississippi

Although I didn't relocate there, it did make my top 5 list after starting with hundreds.
 
Old 08-15-2018, 11:57 PM
 
95 posts, read 95,023 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
When I looked for a relocation place, I researched hundreds of places in Georgia, TN, MS, Alabama and Arkansas.

I was coming from an all white area and certainly didn't make that a criteria.
However,in retirement I was not willing to move to a high crime area just to prove I loved diversity and wasn't a racist.

I did find....ONE...city with a rather high percentage of Blacks and a low crime rate.

Brookhaven Mississippi

Although I didn't relocate there, it did make my top 5 list after starting with hundreds.
Is it racist of you that you even looked that one city had a high % of blacks and low crime rate? The joys of talking about racism. I have traveled all over. I married a Mexican American. I was in a serious relationship with a black person. I have best friends who are homosexual. I have been called racist, a bigot, a homophob... Some people are just angry, some don't look past their nose, some are so cought up in their world they don't see anything else. Now I am wondering where I am at in all this?

Back to the OP. I agree with others that you seem happy with your current living arrangements other than the costs. Maybe look at downsizing, boosting your income, or reducing your debt to help.

May your God help guide you.
 
Old 08-21-2018, 06:51 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
24 posts, read 22,540 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
What I was getting at was I think they've already found it - right where they already are.

"When we move, we want this - (already have it)".

"And this - (already have that, too)."

"Don't forget this - (you guessed it....they've got it)".

By the way, OP - NWA is over 500,000 people, and no, not all of them are white. Additionally, I would contend that people can be "diverse" and possess "culture" regardless of their skin color or background. Those words are too broad to me to be handcuffed by racial profiling. If it seems you struck a nerve, it's because you did. People want racism to disappear and then turn around and say "I need to be around people just like me as one of my criteria for moving". If you were serious about combating racism you would go where you wanted to go without worrying who will and won't accept your family, and you would just be you, because that's the essence of living. You scrape off the people who don't like you for whatever reason and embrace the people who do. This isn't any new age wisdom, it's called not caring what others think as long as you're not hurting anyone and are a contributing member of a civilized society.
I've never heard anyone talk this way to someone who is Jewish and who might be concerned with tolerance; I've never heard someone say to them that they should just write off the Holocaust and "scrape off" people who don't accept them.

What happened to people of color in this country was the Holocaust many times over; don't write off our concerns. Of course human beings with a history of enslavement and persecution are going to be nervous in areas where we're not sure we'll be accepted. Particularly if it involves children.

I have experienced threatening racism (throughout my childhood and adulthood) that I couldn't just "scrape off". Your statements are uninformed and lack empathy and understanding.

Racism has not historically been limited to "saying mean things that hurt my feelings". It has involved outright violence to cultural, political, and societal biases and maneuvers designed to prevent minorities from thriving in society: owning houses, assuming jobs, getting a higher education, etc. These aren't things you can just slough off, as you indicate.

I understood what the OP meant without her having to write disclaimers: she wants to be in an area where a variety of people from different walks of backgrounds are embraced. Might she have worded it differently? Perhaps. But maybe you could become better acquainted with the history of this nation and the atrocities that have occurred to people who aren't in the majority. Because if you were, you wouldn't write off someone's concerns so glibly.
 
Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38646
Quote:
Originally Posted by usoda View Post
I've never heard anyone talk this way to someone who is Jewish and who might be concerned with tolerance; I've never heard someone say to them that they should just write off the Holocaust and "scrape off" people who don't accept them.

What happened to people of color in this country was the Holocaust many times over; don't write off our concerns. Of course human beings with a history of enslavement and persecution are going to be nervous in areas where we're not sure we'll be accepted. Particularly if it involves children.

I have experienced threatening racism (throughout my childhood and adulthood) that I couldn't just "scrape off". Your statements are uninformed and lack empathy and understanding.

Racism has not historically been limited to "saying mean things that hurt my feelings". It has involved outright violence to cultural, political, and societal biases and maneuvers designed to prevent minorities from thriving in society: owning houses, assuming jobs, getting a higher education, etc. These aren't things you can just slough off, as you indicate.

I understood what the OP meant without her having to write disclaimers: she wants to be in an area where a variety of people from different walks of backgrounds are embraced. Might she have worded it differently? Perhaps. But maybe you could become better acquainted with the history of this nation and the atrocities that have occurred to people who aren't in the majority. Because if you were, you wouldn't write off someone's concerns so glibly.
Interesting: you have almost never poster (24 times in years) mostly about Eugene and now, out of the clear blue sky you find a post regarding NWA without knowing anything about the region. It sounds more like you are trying to insight a heated debate than provide any good information for the OP. Of course no one is claiming racism doesn't exist, but comparing what the op is dwelling on or Tyryztoll's comment is nothing like the Holocaust. Racism can only get worse if minorities continue to look for signs of it.

One of our son in laws is Jewish, His parents were not born in America. One of our grand son in laws is Hispanic. I have never heard either of them, when relocating consider diversity prior to making a move to another state or city.
 
Old 08-21-2018, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,682 posts, read 4,237,627 times
Reputation: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by usoda View Post
I've never heard anyone talk this way to someone who is Jewish and who might be concerned with tolerance; I've never heard someone say to them that they should just write off the Holocaust and "scrape off" people who don't accept them.

What happened to people of color in this country was the Holocaust many times over; don't write off our concerns. Of course human beings with a history of enslavement and persecution are going to be nervous in areas where we're not sure we'll be accepted. Particularly if it involves children.

I have experienced threatening racism (throughout my childhood and adulthood) that I couldn't just "scrape off". Your statements are uninformed and lack empathy and understanding.

Racism has not historically been limited to "saying mean things that hurt my feelings". It has involved outright violence to cultural, political, and societal biases and maneuvers designed to prevent minorities from thriving in society: owning houses, assuming jobs, getting a higher education, etc. These aren't things you can just slough off, as you indicate.

I understood what the OP meant without her having to write disclaimers: she wants to be in an area where a variety of people from different walks of backgrounds are embraced. Might she have worded it differently? Perhaps. But maybe you could become better acquainted with the history of this nation and the atrocities that have occurred to people who aren't in the majority. Because if you were, you wouldn't write off someone's concerns so glibly.
My word, could you be any more melodramatic?

I am well versed in our nations history, thank you so much for your recommendation.

The OP had a whole list of wants that they already had where they currently lived, including their desire to have their children surrounded by a certain faction of people who WEREN'T all white (God forbid). Imagine if I had made a post indicating I didn't want my kids surrounded by people who were all black or who were all hispanic. Yeah, you know just what I'm talking about. I would have been instantly roasted by people just like you and likely censored by the mods (even though there is no dedicated mod for this particular forum). So in essence, you reprimand me for not being sensitive to the scourge of racism and then turn right around to promote it in the mold I just described......but of course it's ok because it's just those nasty, hateful white people who caused all of our problems to begin with that we're talking about. As long as there's only one here and there we'll be ok, but if they're everywhere around us - LOOK OUT!

My point - and it's a point I continually have to assert in these forums - is that I'm tired of people basing colossal decisions such as relocating somewhere on what the other people will look like and think like. You have people like the OP who are concerned there'll be too many of one race, then you have others who are worried about what everyone's politics are. "I want to live in a liberal area". How dumb. I, as a conservative, have lived in some of the most "liberal" areas of this country and loved it, because I wanted to be there and didn't let what other people believed affect what I was going to do with my life. The same goes for race. If I find an area I want to move to and start a new life in I could care less if a certain race dominates the demographic. That has no bearing on what I want for myself and my family. If I worry about that then I am living scared, and I will not live scared, because this is the only life I get and it is way too short to waste on stuff like that.

The bottom line is that your contention is rooted in fear and that you choose to think that way. You choose to keep making race an issue in situations where it needn't be. You say you want to end racism but all you do is talk about it and build your life upon it. That's why this issue doesn't go away. Racists are still around, I get it. Well, guess what? They're not totally going away, but I do believe they're much smaller in number than they were when atrocities like the holocaust and slavery were reality. Isn't that a good thing that we should build on, rather than saying "I'm afraid for my kids if they get around too many of these people?" You guys act like there's Nazi strongholds and slave run plantations situated in the Ozarks or something, you are so melodramatic. This is 2018, not 1850, and not 1940. It's time for you to start letting some of this stuff go and trusting that there are good people of all races that you can live with. I'm tired of people continually promoting division beneath the guise of "diversity".
 
Old 08-21-2018, 02:10 PM
 
39,020 posts, read 23,146,013 times
Reputation: 12146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
My word, could you be any more melodramatic?

I am well versed in our nations history, thank you so much for your recommendation.

The OP had a whole list of wants that they already had where they currently lived, including their desire to have their children surrounded by a certain faction of people who WEREN'T all white (God forbid). Imagine if I had made a post indicating I didn't want my kids surrounded by people who were all black or who were all hispanic. Yeah, you know just what I'm talking about. I would have been instantly roasted by people just like you and likely censored by the mods (even though there is no dedicated mod for this particular forum). So in essence, you reprimand me for not being sensitive to the scourge of racism and then turn right around to promote it in the mold I just described......but of course it's ok because it's just those nasty, hateful white people who caused all of our problems to begin with that we're talking about. As long as there's only one here and there we'll be ok, but if they're everywhere around us - LOOK OUT!

My point - and it's a point I continually have to assert in these forums - is that I'm tired of people basing colossal decisions such as relocating somewhere on what the other people will look like and think like. You have people like the OP who are concerned there'll be too many of one race, then you have others who are worried about what everyone's politics are. "I want to live in a liberal area". How dumb. I, as a conservative, have lived in some of the most "liberal" areas of this country and loved it, because I wanted to be there and didn't let what other people believed affect what I was going to do with my life. The same goes for race. If I find an area I want to move to and start a new life in I could care less if a certain race dominates the demographic. That has no bearing on what I want for myself and my family. If I worry about that then I am living scared, and I will not live scared, because this is the only life I get and it is way too short to waste on stuff like that.

The bottom line is that your contention is rooted in fear and that you choose to think that way. You choose to keep making race an issue in situations where it needn't be. You say you want to end racism but all you do is talk about it and build your life upon it. That's why this issue doesn't go away. Racists are still around, I get it. Well, guess what? They're not totally going away, but I do believe they're much smaller in number than they were when atrocities like the holocaust and slavery were reality. Isn't that a good thing that we should build on, rather than saying "I'm afraid for my kids if they get around too many of these people?" You guys act like there's Nazi strongholds and slave run plantations situated in the Ozarks or something, you are so melodramatic. This is 2018, not 1850, and not 1940. It's time for you to start letting some of this stuff go and trusting that there are good people of all races that you can live with. I'm tired of people continually promoting division beneath the guise of "diversity".
I tend to think the bottom line is that it's up to the person moving to determine the criteria that drives where they choose to move. The original poster's criteria was perfectly valid.
 
Old 08-21-2018, 06:19 PM
 
Location: First Hill, Seattle
5,469 posts, read 5,774,125 times
Reputation: 7186
You can find diverse, affordable, quaint, small, mountainous, four-seasons or mild, but you can’t have all of those. At best you can find 5 of those qualities in one city. It sounds like you are looking for a mythical Shangri-La that doesn’t exist in this country.

The closest thing to me would be Asheville for its remarkably mild winters and summers for a southern city. Not particularly diverse but a reasonably large and visible black population and a reputation of being accepting. Not coastal expensive but not cheap. Definitely a pretty penny more than where you currently live. And you mentioned not liking North Carolina.

Wherever you go, you may need to consider trade-offs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top