U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 06:47 PM

3,210 posts, read 2,818,634 times

Advertisements

I don't think I'd consider a move unless it made my life easier. Will you be closer to work, entertainment or some place where you could save time driving there? How are the neighbors? Would the new house be easier to maintain?

We may end up moving someplace for my husband's work. If we do, we would like to downsize. Five bedrooms is nice, but it's a lot of upkeep. I would love to add some rock on the fireplace and in the kitchen and wood floors on the stairs and master and guest bedrooms. If we have to sell soon, we won't get our money back or have time to enjoy it. I really doubt corporate would pay for a move this time so that mean me cleaning and packing. My heart isn't in it. Of course, I always declutter when I move and have plans to be ruthless if we go.

Ultimately, it depends on what benefits you the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 07:29 PM

970 posts, read 560,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
That is a big problem with most houses. Remodel or new construction. Even after the the initial off-gassing from construction it will continue off-gassing for a time. Newer houses are built more airtight but rarely have an erv,hrv, or ducted dehumidifier to bring in fresh air. Good thing about older houses having more air leakage is better drying of the materials, less buildup of off-gassing, radon, chemicals from cleaning, or hair products. You do pay for it by having a dusty house, less comfort, and higher energy bills.
The worst part is the oil based paint on the cabinets, doors, crown and trim. It's great because it's durable, bad because it reeks.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:20 PM

575 posts, read 149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I see both sides to this story: without up dates the house is going to be harder to sell unless priced accordingly. We are seeing this right now in our neighborhood. The few for sale that still do not have granite or something similar, newer appliances, some type of wood floors floors or look like wood, etc are just not welling On the other side, it is true you may not revamp all the money you put into the updates. We did update ours a few years ago, but more for our satisfaction than having re-sale in mind. We will probably sell in a few years and know, except for a little paint here and there, most everything is new enough to be considered updated
Why is it that some form of wood flooring is always seen as an upgrade to carpeting? Outside of the kitchen and baths I HATE hard flooring. From the footstep noise and voice echos, terrible music and tv acoustics (esp with a vaulted ceiling), to the way it feels on your feet, to keeping it clean - hate it. Imo the only advantage over quality wall to wall carpet is looks.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:00 PM

2,684 posts, read 4,243,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Why is it that some form of wood flooring is always seen as an upgrade to carpeting? Outside of the kitchen and baths I HATE hard flooring. From the footstep noise and voice echos, terrible music and tv acoustics (esp with a vaulted ceiling), to the way it feels on your feet, to keeping it clean - hate it. Imo the only advantage over quality wall to wall carpet is looks.

Couldn't agree more. I hate hardwood floors and love good looking, clean carpet. Never understood why people would want hardwoods in their bedrooms and also uncarpeted stairs especially......but that's just me (and apparently duke, too)

Old 08-31-2018, 09:19 PM

96 posts, read 95,543 times
Air quality is MUCH better with a solid floor. Carpet is really gross. Not only do you have Al the outgassing issues and chemicals/dust from storage and transportation but you can never get all the dirt up. Also, real wood has a much longer life than carpet. Is a solid floor perfect, nope, but I think in most applications it is better.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:18 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
I can think of a couple of reasons: 1-it is cleaner or easier to keep clean I should say and 2-it is trendy right now. Oh and 3-it normally never wears out. This doesn't mean we all love it but these are the reasons so many want it. I guess it is like the color of the kitchen cabinets. Right now white is in and the basic one most of us have are not thought to be updated enough for some. I agree with you on the noise but I don't think it is as bad as you apparently do. I do wonder why you think it is so hard to keep clean. I find it just the opposite.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:38 AM

I lived in a house with wood floors for 15 years in Colorado, where it is incredibly dry and dusty. Pet fur and dust was a constant battle, and I would MUCH rather vacuum then sweep and clean floors. The clomping of shoes walking around and echoes were something I never got used to. The house we bought in Bella Vista has high quality wall to wall carpet everywhere but the kitchen and baths, and I would never go back to wood. The stereo and tv also sound much, much better - both living rooms have vaulted ceilings. Someone mentioned wood stairs vs carpeted, and I totally agree - carpeted stairs are far safer.
As far as dust in the air, I find it highly questionable wood floors are an advantage. Carpet tends to hold dust rather then send it airborn and as long as you vacuum reguarly it's a non issue imo. Also, there is no comparison as far as comfort - walking on hard floors in bare feet ranges from discomfort to painful, depending on your age and back condition. Nobody could argue a comparison to soft carpet with a nice thick pad. I'm just repeating what I've already said, those with hard floors have a prettier home for sure but that's where the advantage ends in my book.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:18 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
I lived in a house with wood floors for 15 years in Colorado, where it is incredibly dry and dusty. Pet fur and dust was a constant battle, and I would MUCH rather vacuum then sweep and clean floors. The clomping of shoes walking around and echoes were something I never got used to. The house we bought in Bella Vista has high quality wall to wall carpet everywhere but the kitchen and baths, and I would never go back to wood. The stereo and tv also sound much, much better - both living rooms have vaulted ceilings. Someone mentioned wood stairs vs carpeted, and I totally agree - carpeted stairs are far safer.
As far as dust in the air, I find it highly questionable wood floors are an advantage. Carpet tends to hold dust rather then send it airborn and as long as you vacuum reguarly it's a non issue imo. Also, there is no comparison as far as comfort - walking on hard floors in bare feet ranges from discomfort to painful, depending on your age and back condition. Nobody could argue a comparison to soft carpet with a nice thick pad. I'm just repeating what I've already said, those with hard floors have a prettier home for sure but that's where the advantage ends in my book.
I do a agree on from the noise standpoint and the safety on stairs, but the rest:NO: Carpet hold dust and dirt in. With wood or laminent flooring a quick vacuum picks up the dust that would end up embedded in the carpets. But you know more than this, the subject of this tread is updating or moving. I am simply stressing the benefit of flooring and the bare versus carpet when it comes to re-sale. I am not giving my opinion or which I would rather have or which is better.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:31 AM

For most people it's an upgrade, I agree - replacing carpet with wood flooring is a pretty solid financial decision.
Going back to carpet vs wood floors, and I apologize for the threadjacking, the fact that carpet holds some of that pet hair and dust is a big help with air quality. I don't really understand the reasoning that it's a problem, assuming it is vacuumed at least weekly. When I vacuum it never ceases to surprise me how much is picked up even though the carpet looked pretty clean. With wood floors, much more of that ends up airborn and into the ac/furnace filter on a daily basis.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:48 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,107,269 times
Has anyone else noticed that even ceramic tile floors are becoming less common and less desirable. Now it's the those waterproof vinyl planks, even in bathrooms. I remember when ceramic was "the" thing to have in kitchen and bathrooms and now people are removing it and replacing it with this newer floor.

My entire house is wood floor. It's the old style wide plank wood floors too, even in the bathrooms. It's a log home, everything, and I do mean everything, is wood. Walls, ceilings, floors, etc. We have a HUGE area rug in the living room to soften things up, and lots of rugs in the bedrooms. I prefer carpet at least in the bedrooms, mostly for the softness on the feet. We will probably remove the wood floor from the bathrooms and replace with the vinyl planks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or