U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:29 AM

70,107 posts, read 80,779,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
When visiting Arkansas, just don't wear any Texas Longhorn football gear.
Well that pretty much depends on where and why. we have 3 friends that all have Longhorn plates on the front f their cars and so far none have been plowed into but heck, you can't blame us for not liking the crappy Longhorns. Worse than here, don't wear Longhorn gear in OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 06:40 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,544,130 times
I wish my sister would read this thread. I've told her now nice NWA is, but she has somewhat of an "anti-south" bias, expressed in various ways (none cruel though.) The only part of the south she's visited extensively is Kentucky, which I guess didn't impress her. She hates humidity--something no one can change. But just like Phoenix, all homes in your area have air conditioning.

Also, I've told her that NWA has SO many newcomers from all across the US; it's not like she'd be living in hillbilly-land. I think metros with a lot of new residents are at a big advantage over stagnant, non-growing ones in the fact that newcomers have different perspectives and attitudes.

But, she's up for taking a visit to check out the area, so I'd say she's "open minded".

Old 12-30-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I wish my sister would read this thread. I've told her now nice NWA is, but she has somewhat of an "anti-south" bias, expressed in various ways (none cruel though.) The only part of the south she's visited extensively is Kentucky, which I guess didn't impress her. She hates humidity--something no one can change. But just like Phoenix, all homes in your area have air conditioning.

Also, I've told her that NWA has SO many newcomers from all across the US; it's not like she'd be living in hillbilly-land. I think metros with a lot of new residents are at a big advantage over stagnant, non-growing ones in the fact that newcomers have different perspectives and attitudes.

But, she's up for taking a visit to check out the area, so I'd say she's "open minded".
I would hope if she visits she finds it as friendly and welcoming as most of us have. Of course there is a southern flair and that is one of the charms, but hill billyish not at all. I don't know if hillbillyish is a word but it seems to fit in at this time. NWA is very metro, as you said, filled with people from all over the country and other countries as well. I think of it as the best of both worlds.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:34 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,544,130 times
^^^ Thank, nmnita. Well said. I'm sure she'd be "enlightened".

Old 01-04-2019, 07:38 AM

11 posts, read 624 times
There are good and bad people in every region. It all depends on luck.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl88 View Post
of course there are, but some areas have more of one versus the other: example: so side of Chicago versus Fayetteville. Ar.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:51 AM

1 posts, read 148 times
I don’t understand most all of these comments. These are the opposite of my experiences living in NW Arkansas. Beautiful women... uhhhh no, but not judging. Beauty is within of course. But I am out and about daily and just don’t see it. Not even remotely. Waves when walking a dog...? Definitely not. Friendly ? Uhhhh not really. NW Arkansas is not a destination I would ever ever make a point to travel or live. I know I sound like a negative person; I truly am not. I respect all posts of people’s positive remarks. But nearly everything I have read is literally the opposite of my observations and experiences. I would NOT recommend living here. If I wrote all the sincere reasons why, it’s just not pleasant, nor happy vibes. I respect all posts I read - and I don’t intend to be rude. But compared to most places in the US I have lived & traveled to - my experiences is ... very different. I absolutely dislike it for countless reasons. Life is so short. It’s not where I want to live God forbid for the rest of my life. I am glad others like it. But it’s not for me. Happiness is within I know - but for me it’s not great at all. I literally cannot say one good thing here. Buyer beware to: realtor drama, and not being completely honest. We saw it with 4 agents. FOUR ! On both buyers agents and listing agents. Brokers don’t reprimand. They are only ONLY and o mean ONLY interested in the sale and their commission. Simply sharing our experiences. Also, be very careful when hiring tasks needed in your home in NW Arkansas - for example : it is a lot more expensive (and not high in quality work product) services in general. For example-hiring yard care, cleaners, floor/tile (had to come out 3 times for missing rooms, not clean, etc.) pest control, roofers, holiday light installs, and really watch out for people you hire to come to your home to help unpack on Thumb Tack. They consistently will try to rob you blind, plus take items they say will sell for you you don’t want. Then, they disappear and you never hear from them again. High priced services with very low quality. It’s unfortunate but nearly every home service type of experience has been very poor in quality, rarely timely and overcharges. And I have lived in Iowa, California and Colorado in my lifetime. Never have we had the problems as experienced in NW AR. I could go on & on. Sad to say. I also, must share with anyone moving here, that locals for the most part are very cliquey (clicky so?), in general, poor manners, not very educated as a general global view of the area ... behavioral wise. I am just being frank and honest. I don’t intend to be offensive. It’s just that bad. We have experienced bad things. I hope others will not. The people - sure, some are ok. But as a rule ... not at all people I enjoy, from every aspect imagineable. We have had horrible experiences. And ... I can assure you, we are very kind, generous and tolerable people. As mentioned ... It’s just this bad here. We also heard fairly good things about NW AR prior to moving here, and I am disappointed in the reality. We have tried and tried to stay positive about the area as a whole - but we dislike it immensely. I wished I knew before moving here all the negativity. You won’t experience until you move in sad to say. You will either listen to my heart-felt honesty or will not. Oh ... the ticks, fleas, humidity, snakes & spiders are nothing compared to the people.

Last edited by 3yearsinAR; 01-05-2019 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: A few typos

Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 AM

Holy Cow: would love to have been able to read that last post, but poster, where did you learn to express your views all in one paragraph? I finally had to stop reading your rant...I will add, I have no idea where in NWA you lived but people do wave at everyone passing by and are extremely friendly.. The rest, I will leave that for others to comment about and it is always fun to hear what first time posters have to say, especially when it is all negative!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2019, 07:51 AM
sub

545 posts, read 295,363 times
3yearsinAR might be a one-shot drive-by poster, but seems honest enough.
It's probably more productive to give a list of pro's and con's to sound 'fair' if nothing else, but perhaps they had too few pro's.
I've witnessed pretty much everything they talked about, either personally or otherwise, in one form or another. It's why I get a bit concerned if things start sounding too utopian by AR lovers. Like anywhere else, Arkansas requires a certain type to truly enjoy it.
For a lot of us, it might not be that bad, but really nothing special.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:56 AM
sub

545 posts, read 295,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl88 View Post
Yeah, kinda.
Part of it is also how well one's personality meshes with the locals and their culture, and/or how adaptable that person is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers