U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,163,695 times

Advertisements

It's easy to spot someone who is killing time. Joined city-data to make a single post which was mostly negative ramblings, obviously to stir arguments, and then never returns.

He probably has been back, but under one of his many other accounts, so he could see what he stirred up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM

70,107 posts, read 80,763,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
+1
We moved from Texas to Fayetteville 2 years ago after spending several extended stays (up to a month at a time) here. The welcoming, friendly atmosphere played a large part in that decision.
our daughters best friend from college who is like a daughter to us lives in Texas. Originally she is from So. CA. After she and hubby visited here several times, they have now purchased a house and plan to retire here in about 6 months. At first they were going to wait 2 years, then one and now can't wait until the day comes when they can call BV their home. One of the main reasons they are moving here is the friendliness of the area. They have owned their house for about 2 months now and have done a lot of upgrades. Luckily for them we know a wonderful home improvement company that do a great job and are very reliable.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

9 posts, read 329 times
Hello - My family has had property in the Heber Springs area for 30+ years. This area is about 4 hours south of Fayetteville. The property is near the Greers Ferry Dam. The Little Red River is in the top 10 in the nation for trout fishing. I think this area is cleaner and more affordable than Fayetteville. I live in Florida, but visit at least once per year.

Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

37 posts, read 20,272 times
Default Observations as an outsider

I moved from India to NWA ~7yrs ago and called it home ~16months and i have nothing but good stories to share.

Eventhough I visited US prior to relocating, visiting is completely different than living.
It amazes me how my presumptions about America in general were shattered over the last 7yrs (still happening on a daily basis).

Incident1:friendly law enforcement officer:

On Day 2 after arrival from India (not able to drive yet, see my first myth below), from my Hotel there is AT&T store in 500ft or so,
but as this store on one of main road (W Sunset ave 40MPH) without side walk, myself, my wife and 1yr kid in Stroller, were walking on the same side of the road as traffic and pushing the stroller on the curb just about the dusk time.
My wife did mention that there is one car driver was staring at her as he swiftly manuoverd. And we did spend some 30 minutes or so at store and returning against the traffic.
There is Cop car went on other side of the median and took u turn and stopped infront of us and asked to move onto the grass first.
Officer came out and first checked the stroller and said "Oh! real baby inside".
Then asked us ID and after answering other questions, he said " we received a call saying someone walking on the road without any "glow/radiant" clothes and it endangering.
and asked us push the stroller through the grass. He offered us a ride in his cop car, by this time we were culturally shocked and gracefully denied the offer and pushed stroller through grass.

However, after i started driving, i realized how big of a mistake that was, as it might ended up in a motor vehicle crash and/or for child endangerment, so we repent that incident.

Incident2:Friendly Stranger on Road:

as my DL was delayed due to the fact there is a 6 wks waiting period after i got the permit, i was not driving almost for 3 months.
One day in broad day light, i was walking on Joyce blvd in Fayetteville (as i rented apartment by this time) along with my family on the side walk, old lady in GMC stopped and asked us if we need a ride, we rejected politely and continued on side walk.

Incident3: Friendly stranger on trail:
By this time, i have identified a good trail path going from my apartment to Walmart, so we go for walk only in the Day bright time and while returning with all carryon bags of groceries we rested on the bench.
There was an old gentleman, atheltic built started staring us, initially we were so skeptical and then he started talking with us.
He mentioned that he works in University as a Dean and one of professor was from India who works in his department, exchanged details and because of which we met a nice family from India and we still in touch till date.
Unfortunately Dean, passed way due multiple organ failure in 2016.

Incident4: Colleague1
Super helpful colleague and his family. As i can't drive, he used come daily to my place out of his route and picke me up and drop off regularly From Nov 2012 to Jan 2013 barring Thanksgiving & Christmas his vacation time off.
At that time i have a chance to explore the public transportation in the NWA, which may not be the best but works.
He helped me initially for setteling down and in Jan 2013, we need to go to Italy for business trip for 2 weeks, so his wife used to check on my family and take them out for fresh air and grocery shopping.
So we became very close as a family and still in touch till date.

Incident5: Collegue2
Another nice person in NWA. he goes beyond what needed for, he helped me hunt for Apartment, Car. All of my friends were so amazed when i said to them that i bought my first car in US on Craiglist.
Because this person, he helped me identify the condition, infact once he bought a flash light and checked inside out and declared that car is not good. I'm still proud that i got Chevy Trailblazer as my first car.
However when i moved to Pittsburgh, PA, i need to dispose it off and again he helped me to sell it off.
For that i did signed the papers and gave it to him
once again everyone of my acquintances were having doubts for dealing $$$$ with a person bearly known for few months.
i did had trust in him and he didnt surprised me.
We still in touch till date, over emails/fb, exchanging gifts for christmas.

Incident6: Unknown person.
Once i was driving on Joyce blvd and someone was following so closely and trying to communicate something, so i pulled over to an well lit parking lot and he said one of my brake light is gone and i should replace it otherwise police can pull me over for it.
and he left in a minute.

List goes on and on. I was very fortunate moved from India to NWA as initally felt like back home. some of parallels, Family values, less expensive, not much colder (not like MN where i'm in now), lower traffic. Not much traffic, beautiful Fayetteville Library, plenty of books.
I wish to go back atleast as a visitor sometime in future.

Myth Busters:
All States in US follow same/similar rules, my friends who moved from India to US (Westcoast/East) were able to drive with Indian DL, however in NWA when I asked DMV about the same , they said dont recognize DL unless if its issued in 50states or North America.

Influenced by hollywood movies, was expecting to see sky scrappers everywhere, however 2 stories everywhere and wide spread.

Public transportation must be well connected across all the places. But this is limited to main cities alone.

Only point was, in 2013 winter, It snowed there and many of roads were blocked/not cleaned for atleast for a week. I know NWA is not equipped for that kind of weather.

Old Today, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukku335 View Post
I moved from India to NWA ~7yrs ago and called it home ~16months and i have nothing but good stories to share.

Eventhough I visited US prior to relocating, visiting is completely different than living.
It amazes me how my presumptions about America in general were shattered over the last 7yrs (still happening on a daily basis).

Incident1:friendly law enforcement officer:

On Day 2 after arrival from India (not able to drive yet, see my first myth below), from my Hotel there is AT&T store in 500ft or so,
but as this store on one of main road (W Sunset ave 40MPH) without side walk, myself, my wife and 1yr kid in Stroller, were walking on the same side of the road as traffic and pushing the stroller on the curb just about the dusk time.
My wife did mention that there is one car driver was staring at her as he swiftly manuoverd. And we did spend some 30 minutes or so at store and returning against the traffic.
There is Cop car went on other side of the median and took u turn and stopped infront of us and asked to move onto the grass first.
Officer came out and first checked the stroller and said "Oh! real baby inside".
Then asked us ID and after answering other questions, he said " we received a call saying someone walking on the road without any "glow/radiant" clothes and it endangering.
and asked us push the stroller through the grass. He offered us a ride in his cop car, by this time we were culturally shocked and gracefully denied the offer and pushed stroller through grass.

However, after i started driving, i realized how big of a mistake that was, as it might ended up in a motor vehicle crash and/or for child endangerment, so we repent that incident.

Incident2:Friendly Stranger on Road:

as my DL was delayed due to the fact there is a 6 wks waiting period after i got the permit, i was not driving almost for 3 months.
One day in broad day light, i was walking on Joyce blvd in Fayetteville (as i rented apartment by this time) along with my family on the side walk, old lady in GMC stopped and asked us if we need a ride, we rejected politely and continued on side walk.

Incident3: Friendly stranger on trail:
By this time, i have identified a good trail path going from my apartment to Walmart, so we go for walk only in the Day bright time and while returning with all carryon bags of groceries we rested on the bench.
There was an old gentleman, atheltic built started staring us, initially we were so skeptical and then he started talking with us.
He mentioned that he works in University as a Dean and one of professor was from India who works in his department, exchanged details and because of which we met a nice family from India and we still in touch till date.
Unfortunately Dean, passed way due multiple organ failure in 2016.

Incident4: Colleague1
Super helpful colleague and his family. As i can't drive, he used come daily to my place out of his route and picke me up and drop off regularly From Nov 2012 to Jan 2013 barring Thanksgiving & Christmas his vacation time off.
At that time i have a chance to explore the public transportation in the NWA, which may not be the best but works.
He helped me initially for setteling down and in Jan 2013, we need to go to Italy for business trip for 2 weeks, so his wife used to check on my family and take them out for fresh air and grocery shopping.
So we became very close as a family and still in touch till date.

Incident5: Collegue2
Another nice person in NWA. he goes beyond what needed for, he helped me hunt for Apartment, Car. All of my friends were so amazed when i said to them that i bought my first car in US on Craiglist.
Because this person, he helped me identify the condition, infact once he bought a flash light and checked inside out and declared that car is not good. I'm still proud that i got Chevy Trailblazer as my first car.
However when i moved to Pittsburgh, PA, i need to dispose it off and again he helped me to sell it off.
For that i did signed the papers and gave it to him
once again everyone of my acquintances were having doubts for dealing $$$$ with a person bearly known for few months.
i did had trust in him and he didnt surprised me.
We still in touch till date, over emails/fb, exchanging gifts for christmas.

Incident6: Unknown person.
Once i was driving on Joyce blvd and someone was following so closely and trying to communicate something, so i pulled over to an well lit parking lot and he said one of my brake light is gone and i should replace it otherwise police can pull me over for it.
and he left in a minute.

List goes on and on. I was very fortunate moved from India to NWA as initally felt like back home. some of parallels, Family values, less expensive, not much colder (not like MN where i'm in now), lower traffic. Not much traffic, beautiful Fayetteville Library, plenty of books.
I wish to go back atleast as a visitor sometime in future.

Myth Busters:
All States in US follow same/similar rules, my friends who moved from India to US (Westcoast/East) were able to drive with Indian DL, however in NWA when I asked DMV about the same , they said dont recognize DL unless if its issued in 50states or North America.

Influenced by hollywood movies, was expecting to see sky scrappers everywhere, however 2 stories everywhere and wide spread.

Public transportation must be well connected across all the places. But this is limited to main cities alone.

Only point was, in 2013 winter, It snowed there and many of roads were blocked/not cleaned for atleast for a week. I know NWA is not equipped for that kind of weather.
Greetings Rukku,
Interesting post. Very glad to hear you had many experiences with kindness than bad behavior in BV. I am from Illinois and we are possibly retiring in NW Arkansas. Although we have not been to BV yet, I am no stranger to Arkansas. I have hiked and paddled many days in Arkansas thru the years and my experiences with the people there has been nothing short of me being in awe at how sweet and kind most people have treated me. That is an important part of why we are looking to land in Arkansas permanently!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers