U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:06 AM

1,061 posts, read 284,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is a huge concern right now: even on the 6pm news last night. In the weekend paper 2 experts did say, when tested a few days ago the air quality was not in the unhealthy cata. at that time. It seems to change everyday. I imagine those most affected. living on the east side did attend the city meeting last night.. You did I would think. I am glad we are living on the west side of town. Like most people,, when we purchased out house we looked at homes on the east and the west side. Our second favorite happened to be on the east side.
This has been going on since last summer, and nobody feels responsible to deal with it. The new owner says it's been smoldering for years before he bought it and there's nothing he can do. The poa apparently is taking the stance that it's no longer their property so it's not their problem. The firefighters say they don't have the means to deal with it.
My opinion is that the poa is responsible for stopping the fire because they are the ones who owned and maintained it while it was used as a stump dump. Pawning off the property does not resolve them of responsibility for the disaster that they created, and it's pretty clear they did not have it manned to stop people from dumping stupid crap that is toxic. Legally speaking I'm not sure how much responsibility they bear vs the new owner, but ethically and morally they need to use the money they collect from Bella Vista citizens to deal with it. They are showing they don't give a damn.
What I think needs to happen is helicopters need to drop sand or other substance used in forest fires on top of the dump until it is smoldered. It's not that huge of an area, but I can imagine this would be very expensive. Fire needs oxygen, and I find it hard to believe this wouldn't work, it just may take a LOT of sand or fire retardent. Letting it burn like this for years going forward is not an option, and if the poa continues their do nothing stance they should be sued, along with the new owner for being stupid not to do his research before buying the land.

Last edited by duke944; 12-18-2018 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:58 AM

70,298 posts, read 81,024,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
This has been going on since last summer, and nobody feels responsible to deal with it. The new owner says it's been smoldering for years before he bought it and there's nothing he can do. The poa apparently is taking the stance that it's no longer their property so it's not their problem. The firefighters say they don't have the means to deal with it.
My opinion is that the poa is responsible for stopping the fire because they are the ones who owned and maintained it while it was used as a stump dump. Pawning off the property does not resolve them of responsibility for the disaster that they created, and it's pretty clear they did not have it manned to stop people from dumping stupid crap that is toxic. Legally speaking I'm not sure how much responsibility they bear vs the new owner, but ethically and morally they need to use the money they collect from Bella Vista citizens to deal with it. They are showing they don't give a damn.
What I think needs to happen is helicopters need to drop sand or other substance used in forest fires on top of the dump until it is smoldered. It's not that huge of an area, but I can imagine this would be very expensive. Fire needs oxygen, and I find it hard to believe this wouldn't work, it just may take a LOT of sand or fire retardent. Letting it burn like this for years going forward is not an option, and if the poa continues their do nothing stance they should be sued, along with the new owner for being stupid not to do his research before buying the land.
certainly no one can argue with your reasoning I just think, it is up to everyone who lives near the dump to attend all the meetings and express your views. Just griping won't do any good. BTW, I do know some people living on the east side who do not think the problem is as bad as some make out. I guess it is up to everyone to decide what they can live with.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:19 AM

2,785 posts, read 4,345,487 times
duke, forgive me for suggesting the easy way out, but is there any possibility you can move? That situation sounds like a real nightmare.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
duke, forgive me for suggesting the easy way out, but is there any possibility you can move? That situation sounds like a real nightmare.
No I have no intention of leaving, this will be resolved in time but sometimes it is hard to be outside. I feel pretty lucky I'm a mile away, I can't imagine being really close to it, and I worry about the wildlife in the area. I think attending a meeting would consist of a bunch of people sitting around griping and nothing coming of it, especially when my main grip is with the poa which is holding the meeting, for selling a potential ecological nightmare and then acting like they have no responsibility to do anything about it. I'd probably just ruffle a bunch of feathers with nothing coming from it, what needs to happen is legal action.
Here's what the Bella Vista mayor has to say - in a nutshell he says there is no money to fix the problem so look to the state or fed for help, but mostly this is a problem for the new owner to deal with (I figured they are just throwing it on the new owner, which I find total bs).
https://www.bellavistaar.gov/documen...20Dec%2017.pdf

A lawsuit has been filed against the new owner, but in my opinion the poa should have also been named. More lawsuits to come I'm sure.

https://5newsonline.com/2018/11/26/r...lem-continues/

Old 12-20-2018, 08:11 AM

I played bridge with 2 gals yesterday who live off Trafalgar. One is more affected than the other. Both attended the meeting last Monday, well one did, one her husband did. I think they said an lawyer has been hired but no formal charges yet. I could be wrong. Both said, the city and POA keep blaming the other side. I have a feeling you did not attend the meeting on Monday night: Apparently it was quite an interesting adventure.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I played bridge with 2 gals yesterday who live off Trafalgar. One is more affected than the other. Both attended the meeting last Monday, well one did, one her husband did. I think they said an lawyer has been hired but no formal charges yet. I could be wrong. Both said, the city and POA keep blaming the other side. I have a feeling you did not attend the meeting on Monday night: Apparently it was quite an interesting adventure.
No I didn't, my opinion of the poa is really low because of the way they have handled the situation and I'm really not interested in hearing their pov. They can see the problem, I'm waiting to see some action on their part - I could care less about talking to them about it. I have no idea where the city gets funds or how much they collect, but the poa collects a ton of money each month in dues. Considering the golf courses and other amenities cost as much as areas that have no monthly dues I find it hard to believe they don't have the money to do something about the problem that they created. I'd love to see an accounting of where all the dues go, but I'm just assuming most of it goes into their back pockets.

Last edited by duke944; 12-20-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
No I didn't, my opinion of the poa is really low because of the way they have handled the situation and I'm really not interested in hearing their pov. They can see the problem, I'm waiting to see some action on their part - I could care less about talking to them about it. I have no idea where the city gets funds or how much they collect, but the poa collects a ton of money each month in dues. Considering the golf courses and other amenities cost as much as areas that have no monthly dues I find it hard to believe they don't have the money to do something about the problem that they created. I'd love to see an accounting of where all the dues go, but I'm just assuming most of it goes into their back pockets.
the Monday night meeting was a city council meeting not a POA meeting or that was what those who attended I talked to yesterday said. I don't know why but I think you are more upset about the dues we pay than the actual stump dump problems. I would hate to be faced with the problems on the east side in regards to the stump dump but I have no problems with the POA dues and am happy to have the facilities we do at the price we pay compared to other similar POAs.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
the Monday night meeting was a city council meeting not a POA meeting or that was what those who attended I talked to yesterday said. I don't know why but I think you are more upset about the dues we pay than the actual stump dump problems. I would hate to be faced with the problems on the east side in regards to the stump dump but I have no problems with the POA dues and am happy to have the facilities we do at the price we pay compared to other similar POAs.
This is incorrect, I had no problem with the dues before this fire started, I now have a problem with the poa not using them for important things like stopping a health hazard that they created. You seem to ignore the fact that the amenities cost about the same as similar public amenities that don't require dues. My neighbors golf in Rogers because it's cheaper, that seriously makes me wonder where the dues go. You mentioned some time ago they should raise them I couldn't imagine a worse idea in light of them pretending this problem doesn't exist and telling people effected to talk to the new owner.
Also, what is the point of going to a city council meeting? they already announced they have no money nor any intentions of dealing with the fire, why would I go and listen to a bunch of people complain about it for no purpose other than to vent frustrations? Sadly, the lawsuits won't be timely enough to stop this crap anytime soon or ever. The only thing that will probably come from them are monetary damages given to the plaintiffs and a bankrupt current owner of the dump. So it will probably just burn itself out after a few years unless the feds or state does something, a sorry state of affairs.
Before I moved here I read alot about people complaining of poa corruption and who want to see the poa dissolved. If the poa never does anything to stop this fire I will be one of them. I honestly see no purpose for them to exist given what they do for the money they collect.

Last edited by duke944; 12-20-2018 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-20-2018, 08:22 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,935,804 times
Has anyone contacted the EPA, Region 6 in Dallas? They might step in if the state isn't doing anything.

https://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/epa-region-6-south-central

Old 12-20-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Has anyone contacted the EPA, Region 6 in Dallas? They might step in if the state isn't doing anything.

https://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/epa-region-6-south-central
Apparently the EPA has been testing, but so far this stench in the air isn't life threatening enough for them to step in yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers