Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 11:44 PM

231 posts, read 375,613 times

Advertisements

Our governor approved Funding for engineering work to fix problem. Not sure how much more money will be needed but it is a strong start for those who live near it.

https://www.4029tv.com/article/gov-h...-fire/25647204
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 06:41 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Has anyone contacted the EPA, Region 6 in Dallas? They might step in if the state isn't doing anything.

https://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/epa-region-6-south-central
Yes, in fact the EPA has been out to inspect. Some have found the danger or unhealthy level very high, others, on other days have found the level to be within the healthy range. It apparently, like most similar situations, depends on the day and the winds. Our governor has allotted funds to have problem fixed. I am sure, his family living in NWA, not far far from the site made him more aware of the problem than he would have been if he was from some other part of our state. Let's hope the problem does get solved soon, Right now this seems to be the number one story on the news each night.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:00 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,533,801 times
While the governer is looking into fixing this problem he should take a close look at the poa and do an investigatory audit.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
While the governer is looking into fixing this problem he should take a close look at the poa and do an investigatory audit.
You and I both know he isn't going to do that. If you get the daily paper you probably read the front page story about the dump today. If you didn't you may want to run out and get a copy: very interesting. BTW I said front page, I do not mean front page of the front section, but front page of the NWA section.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:01 PM

nmnita, when is the poa dues raise up for a vote? I read somewhere it has been put off till next year? I'll be watching for it in the mail, can't wait to check off NO!

Old 12-23-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
nmnita, when is the poa dues raise up for a vote? I read somewhere it has been put off till next year? I'll be watching for it in the mail, can't wait to check off NO!
I really thought this thread was about the stump dump and not how you will vote for an increase. Again, did you manage to read the article yesterday in the paper or the one in the Vista last Wednesday? I think,for the most part you would have enjoyed it.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I really thought this thread was about the stump dump and not how you will vote for an increase. Again, did you manage to read the article yesterday in the paper or the one in the Vista last Wednesday? I think,for the most part you would have enjoyed it.
No, I haven't bought a newspaper in probably 15 years. Is it online somewhere?
I'm pretty sure I'm up to date, the governer is having people look at it soon, he has said he will do something to stop the fire but nothing has been done yet. I'm not any sort of expert, but it seems to me the helicopter idea would work, only problem is where do they get all the sand from - so it may not be feasible. I haven't read any ideas that make sense yet, especially the one where they plan to excavate the burning material, extinguish it and put it back in the hole. This could never work because we are talking about 60 feet deep - way too dangerous and simply wouldn't work anyway.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
No, I haven't bought a newspaper in probably 15 years. Is it online somewhere?
I'm pretty sure I'm up to date, the governer is having people look at it soon, he has said he will do something to stop the fire but nothing has been done yet. I'm not any sort of expert, but it seems to me the helicopter idea would work, only problem is where do they get all the sand from - so it may not be feasible. I haven't read any ideas that make sense yet, especially the one where they plan to excavate the burning material, extinguish it and put it back in the hole. This could never work because we are talking about 60 feet deep - way too dangerous and simply wouldn't work anyway.
I am not sure if you can get it on line if you do not subscribe: you may want to try: NWAdg.comn

Old 01-19-2019, 03:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,472,587 times
Quote:
Cleanup at the Bella Vista stump dump could cost $21 million to $37 million, The Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported. The project was initially estimated to cost up to $10 million.

"We have a fund at (the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality) to help us in these kind of remediation efforts," Hutchinson said. "It has about $8 million in it."

----------------------------------------------------------------
Hutchinson said officials are also reaching out to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for help, but the agency has been unable to assist because of the partial federal government shutdown.
Cost estimate rises for stump dump fire

Old 01-19-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
rising or not, our governor is doing all he can to help solve the problem. Hopefully the problem will be solved before spring arrives. It is a real nightmare. To add, we have a stump dump on the west side as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers