U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM

70,427 posts, read 81,336,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I live a mile from the fire and I'm not aware of any homes on well water around here. I could be wrong I guess, but I'm pretty sure everyone is on city water - in fact in the area of this fire many homes are now on sewer as well. I don't know how much water it would take but it's only a few acres and up to 60 foot deep. It seems to me pumping water until it's out would be cheap and effective, and beat the hell out of standing around with their thumbs up their asses wondering what to do like they have for 8 months.
There is a large story in this mornings paper as to what is or hopefully is being done. You are right about the city being on city waters, and yes, I think many of those on the east side are on sewers now. Those of us on the east side are not as lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 11:26 AM

2,822 posts, read 4,372,315 times
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...?news-arkansas

Yikes, they're asking for federal $$ to deal with this now. Feel for ya, duke. This is ugly.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:23 PM

1,223 posts, read 328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...?news-arkansas

Yikes, they're asking for federal $$ to deal with this now. Feel for ya, duke. This is ugly.
I think it's going to take the fed gov to stop the fire, just not enough iq points currently on the job.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:29 PM

48 posts, read 7,577 times
From what little information available concerning this fire, I find it peculiar that fingers are being pointed as to who is ultimately responsible for this unfortunate event, but yet no entity has been named as to who leased this parcel to the POA.
That info is of course public information. The county courthouse records of property ownership are accessible to all.
It seems odd the news coverage has not stated this. Is someone being protected? Let's look at it from this perspective. If I owned a home that was rented out for fifteen years with little or no oversight from me, and it was found to being a drughouse with constant dealing, I would think I hold a good deal of responsibility, so with all of the local, state and now possibly federal money needed for a remedy, wouldn't the ownership of the stump dump be responsible for the cost of the remedy. I mean it was leased(for a profit no doubt), so why should public money fix this when it was done while someone profitted?
Disposing of hazardous materials properly is very expensive but not when you know someone with a means of hiding the hazardous materials in a dump/landfill.
I hope it's all just a coincidence and not an intentional environmental crime.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:39 PM

1,223 posts, read 328,019 times
"I hope it's all just a coincidence and not an intentional environmental crime."

This thought hadn't occured to me. Perhaps the poa is worse than inept and reckless. Surely they wouldn't sink that low to knowingly allowing toxic waste to be dumped there....

Last edited by duke944; 02-04-2019 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 03:02 PM

Duke you know why I'm watching this as best I can.
I definitely don't want my retirement to be affected by graft and corruption. I have that now in Illinois. Believe me, you can learn alot by reading the newspaper! An ex-governor of ours that is presently in federal lockup was investigated for involvement with a Chicago alderman's relative , who owned a landfill. That landfill was found to take on illegal hazardous materials in the dark of night for a fee. This goes on much more than we are aware! There is a lot of money to be made when the true business operation's biggest overhead is "disposing of hazardous materials" in a cheap manner. Why don't you ever see landfills for sale? It can be an extremely profitable undertaking!
As I said earlier, I hope it just looks fishy. Sometimes what looks inept may not always be innocent.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:10 PM

Duke you know why I'm watching this as best I can.
I definitely don't want my retirement to be affected by graft and corruption. I have that now in Illinois. Believe me, you can learn alot by reading the newspaper! An ex-governor of ours that is presently in federal lockup was investigated for involvement with a Chicago alderman's relative , who owned a landfill. That landfill was found to take on illegal hazardous materials in the dark of night for a fee. This goes on much more than we are aware! There is a lot of money to be made when the true business operation's biggest overhead is "disposing of hazardous materials" in a cheap manner. Why don't you ever see landfills for sale? It can be an extremely profitable undertaking!
As I said earlier, I hope it just looks fishy. Sometimes what looks inept may not always be innocent.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:55 AM

70,427 posts, read 81,336,646 times
We all have lots of questions and some will never be answered. I am not certain POA is the one that is totally responsible for what has happened. Well at least BV is in the news daily for better or worse. All we can do at this time is hope the worst is over.

Now, just remember no one will have to listen to me for another 2 weeks. We leave today for a long cruise. Hopefully when we return there will be more answers.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:50 PM

2,620 posts, read 806,222 times
What an embarrassment to the region. A stump dump fire bringing the states most prosperous metro to its knees and begging for help from the Feds. Hopefully those responsible are held to account

Old 02-09-2019, 02:43 PM

1,867 posts, read 1,192,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
What an embarrassment to the region. A stump dump fire bringing the states most prosperous metro to its knees and begging for help from the Feds. Hopefully those responsible are held to account
Little dramatic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers