U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:26 AM

869 posts, read 227,650 times

Advertisements

We live about a mile from this fire and on some days it just reeks outside, I can't imagine what it's like to live right next to it. Are they really going to just let this burn for a year or more? I think the poa and the new owner they sold the property to last year needs to be sued into taking action, like helicopters dropping stuff on it to smother it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 06:22 AM

69,895 posts, read 80,453,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
We live about a mile from this fire and on some days it just reeks outside, I can't imagine what it's like to live right next to it. Are they really going to just let this burn for a year or more? I think the poa and the new owner they sold the property to last year needs to be sued into taking action, like helicopters dropping stuff on it to smother it.
stump dump is no more as I understand it. so you don't have to worry about the burning.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
stump dump is no more as I understand it. so you don't have to worry about the burning.
I drove by it last weekend and smoke was billowing out of the ground. It's the one off Trafalger across from the storage facility - they closed it a year ago but it's been on fire prettty much since. It's a terrible nuisance that nobody feels responsible for, the situation is a total mess. The last report from the fire dept was it is expected to burn at least 1 more year, but idk how they could know that since they are too afraid to get near it how did they come to that determination?

Old 09-25-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I drove by it last weekend and smoke was billowing out of the ground. It's the one off Trafalger across from the storage facility - they closed it a year ago but it's been on fire prettty much since. It's a terrible nuisance that nobody feels responsible for, the situation is a total mess. The last report from the fire dept was it is expected to burn at least 1 more year, but idk how they could know that since they are too afraid to get near it how did they come to that determination?
All I know is what I have read on Bella Vista face book and in the Weekly Vista but I have to admit I haven't paid a lot of attention to the details.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
All I know is what I have read on Bella Vista face book and in the Weekly Vista but I have to admit I haven't paid a lot of attention to the details.
This is the latest article from just a few days ago https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/bel...240/1455127931

I can tell you that a mile away some nights you don't want to go outside it stinks so bad, and it's a sickening smell not a nice smell like burning wood. I think there is more in there than just tree debris, like chemicals and other trash. The epa needs to get involved and force someone to put it out ffs. I've read that the poa sold this property without full disclosure of what's buried, they should use some of that monthly dues money to take care of this. Unfortunately it will probably take a lawsuit for them to get off their asses.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
This is the latest article from just a few days ago https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/bel...240/1455127931

I can tell you that a mile away some nights you don't want to go outside it stinks so bad, and it's a sickening smell not a nice smell like burning wood. I think there is more in there than just tree debris, like chemicals and other trash. The epa needs to get involved and force someone to put it out ffs. I've read that the poa sold this property without full disclosure of what's buried, they should use some of that monthly dues money to take care of this. Unfortunately it will probably take a lawsuit for them to get off their asses.
I am not doubting you for heaven's sake. BTW, the money that is collected each month is so little, it can only go so far. Do you use any of the facilities? We do and we are all for raising the assessment, but that is a different topic altogether.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I am not doubting you for heaven's sake. BTW, the money that is collected each month is so little, it can only go so far. Do you use any of the facilities? We do and we are all for raising the assessment, but that is a different topic altogether.
I disagree about how little they take in, $24 per house and $16 per vacant lot per month is a TON of money when we are talking a pop of 30k. All the facilities cost money on top of dues, hell the golfing is as expensive as typical courses for poa members. I'd actually like to see a breakdown where it all goes, but I totally don't buy it if you are saying they can't take care of a health hazard like this. I can't even fathom living in a home next to this environmental disaster, I feel terrible for those folks.
Last time I looked the smoke was very near the tree line, another potential threat this nuisance is posing. If the attitude of the poa is "talk to the current owner" what does that say about how they feel about the air quality of it's citizens and wildlife btw?
I can pretty much tell you where this is heading, someone or a group of people are going to get sick and lawsuits are going to come, you might want to mention this if you attend poa meetings.

Last edited by duke944; 09-25-2018 at 02:51 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 06:11 PM

484 posts, read 334,975 times
Quote:
I disagree about how little they take in, $24 per house and $16 per vacant lot per month is a TON of money when we are talking a pop of 30k. All the facilities cost money on top of dues, hell the golfing is as expensive as typical courses for poa members. I'd actually like to see a breakdown where it all goes, but I totally don't buy it if you are saying they can't take care of a health hazard like this. I can't even fathom living in a home next to this environmental disaster, I feel terrible for those folks.
Last time I looked the smoke was very near the tree line, another potential threat this nuisance is posing. If the attitude of the poa is "talk to the current owner" what does that say about how they feel about the air quality of it's citizens and wildlife btw?
I can pretty much tell you where this is heading, someone or a group of people are going to get sick and lawsuits are going to come, you might want to mention this if you attend poa meetings.
Yikes this sounds like a real problem for residents. I'd be quite angry if I lived anywhere near this. I would consider this a deal-breaker if I was moving to the area affected. Hopefully you guys can get them to take care of it.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 PM

yeah, I'm getting po'd about it for sure and I live a mile from it. If I lived next to it I'd be talking to lawyers, and there are a lot of homes close to it. My opinion of the Bella Vista poa has gone down a lot because of this - I feel they dumped this property onto someone without disclosure and are now acting like it's not their problem. Disgraceful behavior if you ask me.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Interesting. So after 3 weeks of no smell and driving by the stump dump every week and seeing no smoke, yesterday the smell came back and today I drove by and the smoke is coming out big time. This whole story they are pushing on the public that its an underground fire burning out of control is total BS. I'm conviced they are sporadically burning this garbage off intentionally. I'm not sure what to do with this situation yet. I'm a mile from it, and you can't go for a walk without your clothes reeking. The garage reeks. I'm sure those living right next to this nuisance their homes reek. Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers