U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:35 AM
sub

537 posts, read 289,925 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some business in southern Arkansas this morning.
Snow is coming down pretty good here. Starting to qualify as a dusting and might end up with an inch or so. Ground is way too warm to stick to roads unless they get pelted for several hours.
Doesn't sound like much, but for southern Arkansas in mid-November that's a big deal.
Could be a chilly winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 AM

70,001 posts, read 80,614,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I saw this thread title on the board, and thought I'd drop in to comment, even though I'm not in Arkansas. I thought it was interesting, that you all are having an unusually cold fall, as we, in NM are, too. October is usually mild where we are, and early November--cool, but not cold, yet. This year, "fall" (vs. s0-called Indian summer) came surprisingly early. And we've already had several light snowfalls, and one moderate one. This has never happened since I moved here in 2001.

I'm not complaining; this is better than excessive heat or drought, like they've been having on the West Coast. But I find it interesting, that we're having the opposite trend to the West Coast.
Yes the east coast is getting hit as well Ruth, why did I think you were living in CA now? Ok, so I am off topic, just wanted to comment and yes, my heart goes out to he people in CA, especially in the Paradise area. I just keep thinking of my parents and how they would feel if still alive. I know their home is long gone as well as some of their favorites places like their church.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:08 PM

915 posts, read 242,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
My grandfather lived most of his life in Alaska. He came down to Arkansas a few weeks in the winter. He said "he froze his b***s off."

If you have propane I recommend a wood stove if you can or a dual fuel system ( uses a heat pump and propane). By the way, what is the going rate for propane? I'm at 60% so haven't checked yet.
Yeah, I think sub is minimizing how cold the winters are here. I just have a heat pump, and that sucker runs all the time on heat strips when it's cold - winter electric bills are 2x summer bills. I looked at adding a propane furnace and having dual heat, but it's not cost effective. Instead of a $250-$280 electric bill 4 months a year I'd have a $100 electric bill and a $150 propane bill 4 months of the year, and the $6k to add the propane furnace would just be money wasted. The house would be more comforable though, instead of luke warm air out of the vents blowing all the time it would be hot air some of the time. Propane is ungodly expensive compared to natural gas.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:01 PM

We have 1700 sq ft, a 2 year new Heat pump and our bill, year around is about $150 average. We keep the heat at 72 to 73 degrees during the day in the winter and about 74 or 75 during the summer. At night during the winter we turn it down to 65 degrees We also do have a propane fireplace that we use when it is really cold and we are just sitting around watching TV like early evening or we use a very small space heater we will turn on just to keep our feet warm. I have no complaints. BTW, our bill doesn't vary much as we are on the budget plan.

oh, just checked accur weather: they are saying snow starting here in about an hour. What the heck is this all about? This morning was super cold but oh so sunny and bright.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:43 PM

175 posts, read 316,573 times
The weather can very a lot here.

I have probably wrote this here on cd before.

I moved here to NW AR in 1974 and lived here until 1991,then moved to MN for 22 years.

I moved back in 2013.

We had some really rough winters in the late 70s.

On Saint Patrick's day 1989 we had 24 inches of snow here, the bowling ally in Bentonville collapsed, a lot of chicken houses collapsed , it was wet heavy snow.

The same year when I was leaving Bentonville to go visit family for Christmas it was 18 below zero when I left town.

The weather can go to a lot of extremes here.

I have the weather channel app on my phone and can look at what its like in MN where I used to live its usually about 20 degrees warmer here, but every now and then its warmer there.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:15 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,157,157 times
We've had snow twice so far this season (had some today), have been down in the teens several nights, as low as 15 last Friday night. Today it never got above 27. This seems very cold for the first half of November.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:26 PM

926 posts, read 493,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I sure hope it's not as cold as last winter, there were several days in the single digits and lots of days in the teens that I honestly didn't expect moving to Arkansas. I lived in Lawrence kansas for several years a few decades ago and I don't remember it being nearly as cold, which doesn't make much sense since it's 200 miles north.
There are plenty of factors in determining climate other than just latitude. Ocean currents are by far the biggest factor, followed by the major wind streams, followed by elevation. Latitude is less important.

Annapolis, MD is on nearly the same lines of Latitudes as Denver and Reno, yet all 3 cities have vastly different climates. Would you say that Seattle has the same climate as Fargo? But Seattle is 100 miles farther north.

London is on roughly the same line as the northern tip of Newfoundland, yet no one is going to say those are even close to being equal. Anchorage is almost always warmer than Minneapolis on any given winter day, but Anchorage is about 1,100 miles farther north.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
There are plenty of factors in determining climate other than just latitude. Ocean currents are by far the biggest factor, followed by the major wind streams, followed by elevation. Latitude is less important.

Annapolis, MD is on nearly the same lines of Latitudes as Denver and Reno, yet all 3 cities have vastly different climates. Would you say that Seattle has the same climate as Fargo? But Seattle is 100 miles farther north.

London is on roughly the same line as the northern tip of Newfoundland, yet no one is going to say those are even close to being equal. Anchorage is almost always warmer than Minneapolis on any given winter day, but Anchorage is about 1,100 miles farther north.
Of course I don't think latitude is the only factor, but since Lawrence Ks is straight north of here the longitude is the same, and the ocean isn't close enough to either location to matter. Jeez, comparing a west coast city to a northern midwest one cmon.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
We've had snow twice so far this season (had some today), have been down in the teens several nights, as low as 15 last Friday night. Today it never got above 27. This seems very cold for the first half of November.
Here we didn't get any yesterday but apparently a few spots like the airport got a little We barely got above freezing, and yet it looks like from now until Turkey day is is going to be in the 40s to 60s We just have to take it one day at a time.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:24 PM

Well, December was for the most part beautiful, with lots of 60 degree days, much milder than last year. Hopefully January isn't as bad as last year either, with way too many single digit days - yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or