Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:37 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times

Advertisements

I am freezing just thinking about the temps this coming week and do not remember many if any early Nov nights in the teens. Is this a sign of an early and colder winter than normal? I know, the following week is supposed to be back to normal, but it seems like we just went from above normal early fall to below normal mid fall? I am not complaining BTW, I love winter but I am not excited about winter before Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 03:52 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,620,898 times
I think we are in for a colder than average winter mostly due to the fact that we are in a solar minimum. That will make the seasons more extreme (hotter in summer, colder in winter). This solar minimum should last several years and may get more extreme over the next 5 years. It was 15 f this morning on November 10th.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:46 PM

231 posts, read 375,705 times
Who knows. I keep getting told we will have one but I hear that every year. I will tell you that I am loading up on firewood (mainly b/c propane heat costs a lot in this house)... Sadly a lot of it won't be ready for a year or more.... Guess I get to burn greenish wood with my seasoned wood and clean the pipe every month or so :-(

Old 11-10-2018, 05:19 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,534,363 times
I sure hope it's not as cold as last winter, there were several days in the single digits and lots of days in the teens that I honestly didn't expect moving to Arkansas. I lived in Lawrence kansas for several years a few decades ago and I don't remember it being nearly as cold, which doesn't make much sense since it's 200 miles north.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I sure hope it's not as cold as last winter, there were several days in the single digits and lots of days in the teens that I honestly didn't expect moving to Arkansas. I lived in Lawrence kansas for several years a few decades ago and I don't remember it being nearly as cold, which doesn't make much sense since it's 200 miles north.
gee and we didn't think the winter was bad at all last year.Yes, we had some miserably cold days and nights but have seen much worse in other years and with very little moisture we escaped the snow and ice pretty much. I will say, winter was very long last season. That was why it seemed we would never get our garden in and started. We lost tomato plants a couple of times

Old 11-12-2018, 11:52 AM

So far this November is colder than last November, and theres a bit of snow today. All the neighbors remarked that last winter was more harsh than usual, but I think this year will be even more harsh. This is pretty disappointing for me, Ive spent most of my life living in Minnesota and Colorado and was really done with harsh winters, which I loathe. Whoever thinks of this part of Ar as a southern winter climate like I did before moving here is very mistaken, it's midwest all the way.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
So far this November is colder than last November, and theres a bit of snow today. All the neighbors remarked that last winter was more harsh than usual, but I think this year will be even more harsh. This is pretty disappointing for me, Ive spent most of my life living in Minnesota and Colorado and was really done with harsh winters, which I loathe. Whoever thinks of this part of Ar as a southern winter climate like I did before moving here is very mistaken, it's midwest all the way.
I know I am in a minority here but I consider NWA mid west period. OK we fought for the south and some people do have an southern accent but to me, NWA particularly is more mid west period. I guess it is safe to say, it is a mixture of both

I am thinking cold winter as well but check the weather for the next few weeks, after this cold snap we are back to the normal 50s and 60s. Until a few nights ago, our nights were way above normal: too warm for me. I picked our last cherry tomatoes on Friday. They are now ripening in the window Since then everything has turned brown and all plants are ugly but the trees are sure pretty now: covered with a nice light snow. I am guessing we have an inch or maybe a little more

Old 11-12-2018, 02:51 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,674,887 times
Except for the transplants, NWA isn't remotely midwestern. It's just regular upper south culturally and geographically. I've never seen much there that resembles the midwest except for stuff you see in anywhere America.
Weather wise, last winter wasn't anything really. I spent some time up in Minnesota and Wisconsin last year, and the difference is quite stark. They didn't exacyly have record breaking winters either if I recall. Even mid-Missouri and Iowa are very different.
This year, it's too early to say, but it might be shaping up to be a little cooler. Probably not a bad thing.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:32 PM

"Except for the transplants" well, there are a hell of a lot of transplants here.

"This year, it's too early to say, but it might be shaping up to be a little cooler. Probably not a bad thing." Speak for yourself, I hate the cold. At least it doesn't snow here much (hope I didn't speak too soon....)

Old 11-12-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
"Except for the transplants" well, there are a hell of a lot of transplants here.

"This year, it's too early to say, but it might be shaping up to be a little cooler. Probably not a bad thing." Speak for yourself, I hate the cold. At least it doesn't snow here much (hope I didn't speak too soon....)
this will be our 11th winter here ans we have only had about 3 that really dumped the snow and ice. One was about 2011, one was 2009 but that one was short lived and I can't remember the 3rd one but I am thinking it was 2010 maybe or 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers