U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 06:06 PM

2,223 posts, read 832,032 times

Advertisements

[quote=Bellacatahoula;54307662]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post

Lizap, I appreciate your input but this thread was started because we can't wait to move to NWA for ALL of the reasons I stated. Cost of living is certainly one of them. So I did a data check on the towns you are/were looking at, because you stated that my criteria was what you were looking at as well.
Here's what I found for Cost of Living based on Nat. avg. in the towns you listed....
Sedona, AZ 146.5%
Boulder,CO. 186.9%
Naples,FL. 121.6%
Santa Fe,NM. 121.4%
Greenville,SC. 95.3%
Charlottesville,VA 118.9%
Hendersonville NC 106.9%
Coer de' Alene, ID 112%

Benton Co/NWA 95.3%

We clearly made the correct choice for US!
Cost of living was one factor. As we both noted, there were other factors considered as well. While NWA may have ranked higher on cost of living, in our opinion, it did not rank as highly as some of the others on other factors.. With that said, NWA is a great area and has many wonderful attributes. I'm glad you're happy with your choice!

Last edited by Lizap; 01-31-2019 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 06:17 PM

37 posts, read 5,728 times
[quote=Lizap;54309482]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post

Cost of living was one factor. As we both noted, there were other factors considered as well. While NWA may have ranked higher on cost of living, in our opinion, it did not rank as highly as some of the others on other factors.. I'm glad you're happy with your choice!
Thank you Liza! And I hope you are happy with your choice as well. Every area of our country has wonderful attributes, it's up to us to figure out where to hang our hats so to speak, and get on with life!
Be well!

Old 02-01-2019, 09:49 PM

1,197 posts, read 317,041 times
I wouldn't even think about moving to Bella Vista till this Trafalgar fire is dealt with to be honest. I'm in a state of shock at the ineptitude and denial of the poa at this point. I live a mile from it and I won't go outside to walk my dog tonight because of the stench - God help those who live next to it.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I wouldn't even think about moving to Bella Vista till this Trafalgar fire is dealt with to be honest. I'm in a state of shock at the ineptitude and denial of the poa at this point. I live a mile from it and I won't go outside to walk my dog tonight because of the stench - God help those who live next to it.
We have been following this unfortunate event and how it's being handled, thru the local newspaper online, some radio and on this forum. Predictably there's not much info available.
This fire reminds me of some rural fires up here in Illinois several years back. Old tires were used with fill dirt as retainment walls. Somehow fires occurred underground and burned/smoldered for years.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:18 PM

The GD poa left this dump open to the public with no supervison for years, who know what sh%t was dumped by a$$holes, it was probably a single company who dumped their hazardous waste for years for free. It's turned into an environmental disaster that they don't have the foggiest idea how to deal with. I am very worried about the wildlife and everyone living near it, who knows what long term effects there will be. It looks like it will burn for a long time, because nobody seems to care.
My move here - slap myself in the face, this can't be happening - oh sh$t, it's happening.

Last edited by duke944; 02-01-2019 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-02-2019, 06:09 AM

70,427 posts, read 81,232,570 times
Quote:
We have been following this unfortunate event and how it's being handled, thru the local newspaper online, some radio and on this forum. Predictably there's not much info available.
This fire reminds me of some rural fires up here in Illinois several years back. Old tires were used with fill dirt as retainment walls. Somehow fires occurred underground and burned/smoldered for years.
I am glad you are aware of this and following the progress or maybe lack of right now. It should never have happened. No one realized the damage this would cause and I feel for those who live within a 1/2 mile of the dump, but now that everyone is aware of it, the city, the government and everyone else is doing what can to solve the situation. It may come down to simply letting it burn itself out. We know several who live near the fire, though they are upset, they are dealing with it. Some have actually gotten involved it the process of trying to put the fire out. Others have taken the time to attend meetings to learn more about what is eing done.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:29 AM

Yeah, thank Christ I'm a mile from it, can't imagine what it's like within 1000 feet. Bottom line is if you're looking to move while this fire is still going stay on the west side of the highway.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:51 PM

While reading about this stump-dump fire I always wonder.....
1. How an entity (POA) could sell this property without disclosure of it be afire ?
2. If there was disclosure of land being afire, why would anyone buy it?

Old 02-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
1. How an entity (POA) could sell this property without disclosure of it be afire ?
The facts are fuzzy - some claim the new owner started the fire, but the new owner claims it's been burning for years. And I'm actually not sure the poa ever owned it, rather I believe they leased it while operating the dump. The problem I have with the poa is they didn't have an attendant with a locked gate and hours of operation to monitor what was being dumped - apparently they just left it open for the public to dump anything they wanted into it. This in my mind makes them responsible for this mess, regardless of ownership. Of course they have taken no responsibility. I think all of us should stop sending them dues and let the city council take over the town, let the poa fall.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:31 PM

2,809 posts, read 4,363,695 times
Quote:
From following this thread I assume the fire is burning adjacent to whatever is actually being sold in terms of residential property, not actually on the properties themselves.

Still, do your diligence. I bought a house in Michigan years ago across the street from a home that had a Field of Dreams type baseball field on its property, but it was in the winter and I had no idea it was basically used as a public park for league games and such during warm months. It was supposed to be a quiet country setting and the traffic from that field turned the front of my property along the road into a parking lot. People would hang out in and around their cars talking, smoking and drinking in front of my house and there was nothing I could do about it because it was technically in the street.

It pays to check out as much as you can before purchasing....even if it disrupts any potential timetable you may have set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers