U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 12:54 AM

10,651 posts, read 7,772,583 times

Advertisements

This is a gross and uninformed mischaracterization of the impact of the fire, which extends far beyond those properties directly adjacent and it insults local homebuyers and neighbors, which is why our Republican Governor and Legislature are struggling with it. If you have a solution, please inform your State Representative. Oh wait, you're not a stakeholder, in fact you don't and never have lived here. Have you ever even visited this region since the stump dump fire began? I have, multiple times. It stinks ... well to be fair, it doesn't so much stink as it stings and irritates, when you breathe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
From following this thread I assume the fire is burning adjacent to whatever is actually being sold in terms of residential property, not actually on the properties themselves.

Still, do your diligence. I bought a house in Michigan years ago across the street from a home that had a Field of Dreams type baseball field on its property, but it was in the winter and I had no idea it was basically used as a public park for league games and such during warm months. It was supposed to be a quiet country setting and the traffic from that field turned the front of my property along the road into a parking lot. People would hang out in and around their cars talking, smoking and drinking in front of my house and there was nothing I could do about it because it was technically in the street.

It pays to check out as much as you can before purchasing....even if it disrupts any potential timetable you may have set.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-03-2019 at 01:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 06:20 AM

70,499 posts, read 81,508,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This is a gross and uninformed mischaracterization of the impact of the fire, which extends far beyond those properties directly adjacent and it insults local homebuyers and neighbors, which is why our Republican Governor and Legislature are struggling with it. If you have a solution, please inform your State Representative. Oh wait, you're not a stakeholder, in fact you don't and never have lived here. Have you ever even visited this region since the stump dump fire began? I have, multiple times. It stinks ... well to be fair, it doesn't so much stink as it stings and irritates, when you breathe.
As bad as it is and yes,it is bad, the severity depends on the winds and the particular day. I have been on that side many times and other than seeing the smoke have not even noticed it. Other times is can be very noticable. Our granddaughter and her family live about a mile or so away. They have only been affected a few times. So not everyone has he same feeling as you and some others do. I am not minimizing this, just commenting. Remember I live in BV. Oh and BTW, what does the fact our governor is a Republican have to do with this? I am confused about that remark.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:44 AM

2,838 posts, read 4,387,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
biscuitmom from the Bella Vista Stump Dump Fire thread -

"I live in Fayetteville so don't have a dog in this fight but..."

Well, I don't have a dog in this fight, either, but apparently you're allowed to participate and I'm not despite this.

All I did in an effort to engage a prospective BV buyer (Bellacatahoula) was assume that the fire is burning at the dump site and not on actual residential properties. I never for second contended that it wasn't affecting said properties and points beyond. And yet your frothing response (which, of course was conveniently laced with a shot across the bow of Republicans/conservatives. Why doesn't that surprise me?)?

We all see that you detest my presence in here. You (and a few others) love to point out that I don't and have never lived there. I think everyone gets it by now. What, do I threaten you in some manner? It seems to me that once upon a time you didn't live where you currently do either, but obviously were able to fulfill your dreams/plans, whatever, and make your wishes come true. If I were to move there 6 months from now would that generate an automatic pass from you seeing how that is obviously the big prerequisite for being "part of the gang" in your world?

Well guess what, biscuit lady? I'm not going anywhere. I love Arkansas and I don't give a flippin' flop if that doesn't set well with you. As such I will continue to participate in whatever and whichever parts of this forum I choose. Did it ever even occur to you that the OP has refuted your troll accusations and is fine with my participation? They obviously feel a connection with me being that we are/have been in the same boat in correlation with potentially moving there. What efforts have you made to advise them in such a manner? Oh, none.....you've just come barging in here running your mouth and soiling what was an informative, friendly thread. Who's the troll now? Thanks a LOT!

Old 02-03-2019, 11:22 AM

1,268 posts, read 345,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As bad as it is and yes,it is bad, the severity depends on the winds and the particular day. I have been on that side many times and other than seeing the smoke have not even noticed it. Other times is can be very noticable. Our granddaughter and her family live about a mile or so away. They have only been affected a few times. So not everyone has he same feeling as you and some others do. I am not minimizing this, just commenting. Remember I live in BV. Oh and BTW, what does the fact our governor is a Republican have to do with this? I am confused about that remark.
Lol you didn't even believe me when I started the stump dump thread for how long? you thought I was making it up until it finally broke in the news. Stop acting like you know what it's like living over here.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:02 PM

58 posts, read 10,585 times
I started this thread because we are very interested in moving to NWA soon, but with our recent Polar Vortex Drop Down the -50F Wind-chill temps got us wanting to move SOONER!
We have learned a lot from all of you folks offering your thoughts and opinions. Everyone has something to say and for all of us to learn from. And that's what makes this forum so remarkable. People sharing knowledge, helping others in the game of Life. I am very appreciative of everything and anything you folks have given us to help us know this great part of the country better. But please...respect each other and each other's opinions!
Thank you

Old 02-03-2019, 01:22 PM

70,499 posts, read 81,508,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Lol you didn't even believe me when I started the stump dump thread for how long? you thought I was making it up until it finally broke in the news. Stop acting like you know what it's like living over here.
Where the heck did you get the idea I didn't believe you? Of course I knew it was real. I did think you over reacted a bit and I also wondered why you were not attending meeting etc like many did but of course I knew it was real. Half of the gals I play bridge with live on the east side: well not 1/2 but several. I have played in their homes. One gals husband is very active in the attempt to get the problem solved. I am really shocked you would say something like that. I think you misunderstood when I made a statement about not having to worry anymore or something like that. I simply meant, there is an attempt to control it and it should not get any worse. It is time we all work together and not blame everyone for this problem. We don't have to agree with each other, but we can respect what others have to say.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
I started this thread because we are very interested in moving to NWA soon, but with our recent Polar Vortex Drop Down the -50F Wind-chill temps got us wanting to move SOONER!
We have learned a lot from all of you folks offering your thoughts and opinions. Everyone has something to say and for all of us to learn from. And that's what makes this forum so remarkable. People sharing knowledge, helping others in the game of Life. I am very appreciative of everything and anything you folks have given us to help us know this great part of the country better. But please...respect each other and each other's opinions!
Thank you
I'm the only person here living within a mile from this fire, and my opinion is that after 6 months the fact that there have been no efforts to stop it is simply mind blowing. And no, I don't count digging a trench around part of it an effort to stop it. Why would they even do that? the fire is underground, it's contained because dirt is surrounding it. This is an unbelievable situation that has been ignored for a preposterously long time, and there still is no hint of anything being done to end it.
The people living around it couldn't help if they wanted to because it's closed off to the public - so nmnita's comment that people are helping to put it out is way out of touch with reality. We are all at the mercy of the government, who has done nothing for over 6 months but scratch their asses and say "gee I dunno what to do." So before you move here, you might want to take a look at the way this crisis has been handled - swept under the rug rather than dealt with. And as far as the poa, the sooner it's disolved the better afaic.
Forums are best when you get honest opinions based on experience, and that's mine.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:11 PM

58 posts, read 10,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I'm the only person here living within a mile from this fire, and my opinion is that after 6 months the fact that there have been no efforts to stop it is simply mind blowing. And no, I don't count digging a trench around part of it an effort to stop it. Why would they even do that? the fire is underground, it's contained because dirt is surrounding it. This is an unbelievable situation that has been ignored for a preposterously long time, and there still is no hint of anything being done to end it.
The people living around it couldn't help if they wanted to because it's closed off to the public - so nmnita's comment that people are helping to put it out is way out of touch with reality. We are all at the mercy of the government, who has done nothing for over 6 months but scratch their asses and say "gee I dunno what to do." So before you move here, you might want to take a look at the way this crisis has been handled - swept under the rug rather than dealt with. And as far as the poa, the sooner it's disolved the better afaic.
Forums are best when you get honest opinions based on experience, and that's mine.
Duke, I appreciate your opinions and the efforts to state them. I appreciate everyone's opinions. And I truly am sorry for the situation there for the home owners in the vicinity. I would be blowing a gasket mostly from being in the dark and being uninformed. I just wish we could all have a degree of respect to one another and agree that we are all entitled to our own opinion. From that I believe, more can be said and discussed.

Question: Is there coal in your area of the state? Don't want to alarm anyone but coal fires can burn underground indefinitely. Centralia, Pa coal fire has been burning for 50 years.

And I think Duke's idea of flooding the area might be of use, as the last thing you want to do is excavate and add oxygen to the fire.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Duke, I appreciate your opinions and the efforts to state them. I appreciate everyone's opinions. And I truly am sorry for the situation there for the home owners in the vicinity. I would be blowing a gasket mostly from being in the dark and being uninformed. I just wish we could all have a degree of respect to one another and agree that we are all entitled to our own opinion. From that I believe, more can be said and discussed.

Question: Is there coal in your area of the state? Don't want to alarm anyone but coal fires can burn underground indefinitely. Centralia, Pa coal fire has been burning for 50 years.

And I think Duke's idea of flooding the area might be of use, as the last thing you want to do is excavate and add oxygen to the fire.
They should have turned it into a swamp months ago, it seems complete morons are in charge of this thing.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 1,637,108 times
[quote=Lizap;54301132]
Quote:

We really need to visit this area again. I've heard very good things about it in recent years. For the last 10+ years, we have travelled extensively over most of the U.S. looking for the ideal retirement locale. What we discovered is that every place has unique advantages and disadvantages. The items you listed were all things we considered. Places that were high on our list included Sedona, AZ, Boulder, CO, Naples, FL, Sante Fe, NM, Greenville, SC, Charlottesville, VA, and Hendersonville/Flat Rock, NC. We loved Coeur de Alene, ID, but too cold/snowy in the winter. The allure of the mountains of western NC won out in the end..
Wow, you visited and considered moving to Boulder, CO; Naples, FL; and Santa Fe, NM? Money must not be a limiting factor in your decision-making, haha. No offense, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers