U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

17 posts, read 1,928 times

Advertisements

We have been plotting a course to relocate since we retired last year. As most who are thinking of relocation, we have considered cost of living, taxes, healthcare, climate, crime, and general well being into the mix. A health issue has slowed our process down a little, but we are still moving forward and planning to visit BV sometime in March. We both are anxious for this change but now, with our upcoming weather we can't get there soon enough!!!
In Central Illinois we have gotten about 14" of snow in the past 10 days, which we actually enjoy, but our snowstorms are generally followed by frigid temps which we never want. This weekend's snow is following the usual pattern and then some! We woke up today to snow 4 or 5" of it with temps of 36F later to drop to -3F. Not too bad but... Tuesday hi of 3F and low of -21F with 20mph wind. Wind-chill is -48F. Wednesday our hi is to be -14F and low is -26F with 20mph winds bringing the Wind-chill to -55F! We have heard this will be the lowest recorded temperature ever recorded for our area. We are as prepared as we can be for this cold front but our thoughts are not here, our thoughts are of visiting BV area in March and hopefully moving before the next Illinois Winter! Brrrrrrrr!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

2,795 posts, read 4,350,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
We have been plotting a course to relocate since we retired last year. As most who are thinking of relocation, we have considered cost of living, taxes, healthcare, climate, crime, and general well being into the mix. A health issue has slowed our process down a little, but we are still moving forward and planning to visit BV sometime in March. We both are anxious for this change but now, with our upcoming weather we can't get there soon enough!!!
In Central Illinois we have gotten about 14" of snow in the past 10 days, which we actually enjoy, but our snowstorms are generally followed by frigid temps which we never want. This weekend's snow is following the usual pattern and then some! We woke up today to snow 4 or 5" of it with temps of 36F later to drop to -3F. Not too bad but... Tuesday hi of 3F and low of -21F with 20mph wind. Wind-chill is -48F. Wednesday our hi is to be -14F and low is -26F with 20mph winds bringing the Wind-chill to -55F! We have heard this will be the lowest recorded temperature ever recorded for our area. We are as prepared as we can be for this cold front but our thoughts are not here, our thoughts are of visiting BV area in March and hopefully moving before the next Illinois Winter! Brrrrrrrr!
Hi Bella.....I'm another hopeful future Arkansan and love to follow the stories of those who are preceding me to the Natural State. We visited as often as we could when we lived in North Texas and still hope to move there someday. Bella Vista is beautiful. nmnita and a few others in here will be great guides for that area. It does sound as if they've had some association issues in the past and even a few going on currently so be sure to check into that. Also, keep in mind that NWA can get pretty cold in winter and that they also get snow, although neither on the level of anything in the spots you and I currently live in. Arkansas runs to both sides of the weather spectrum as it borders both Midwestern and deep south states. Bella Vista is one of the northern most points in the state and as such will feature some of the coldest and snowiest totals for AR each winter. It can also be pleasantly warm(er) this time of year as it will be this weekend. Just don't expect NWA to be gulf coast type weather year round because it's anything but that.

Most everyone east of the Rockies is going to be hit by this next polar vortex and a lot of records are going to be set.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Hi Bella.....I'm another hopeful future Arkansan and love to follow the stories of those who are preceding me to the Natural State. We visited as often as we could when we lived in North Texas and still hope to move there someday. Bella Vista is beautiful. nmnita and a few others in here will be great guides for that area. It does sound as if they've had some association issues in the past and even a few going on currently so be sure to check into that. Also, keep in mind that NWA can get pretty cold in winter and that they also get snow, although neither on the level of anything in the spots you and I currently live in. Arkansas runs to both sides of the weather spectrum as it borders both Midwestern and deep south states. Bella Vista is one of the northern most points in the state and as such will feature some of the coldest and snowiest totals for AR each winter. It can also be pleasantly warm(er) this time of year as it will be this weekend. Just don't expect NWA to be gulf coast type weather year round because it's anything but that.

Most everyone east of the Rockies is going to be hit by this next polar vortex and a lot of records are going to be set.
Thank you for your insight and POV! I just got in from moving the HEAVY snow around just in case we have to go out in the next few days. The winds are picking up and the mercury is starting to drop.
I am more familiar with North Central and Southwestern Arkansas, but I do understand NWA is not going to be sandals and shorts in Winter. We enjoy the change of seasons, just not the -25F stuff. No we won't miss that!
About twenty-some years ago I had a Christmas meal on a deck in Cherokee Village with shorts and a t-shirt on and I never forgot that!
You are correct sir in that this polar vortex is going to be nasty for a lot of us! Be safe, stay warm and maybe one day we can sit together chatting about how cold we once were!

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

15 posts, read 803 times
Bingo. NWA does get some nasty miserably cold weather, it's not exactly Hot Springs ya know !

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

2,795 posts, read 4,350,053 times
Quote:
Be safe, stay warm and maybe one day we can sit together chatting about how cold we once were!
That's a date!

Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM

70,358 posts, read 81,078,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMax View Post
Bingo. NWA does get some nasty miserably cold weather, it's not exactly Hot Springs ya know !
of course we get some nasty weather, but compared to the upper mid west or the New England region it is nothing. This year has been a bit colder than normal, still only a couple of nights in single digits and the worst is about over. Withing the next few weeks the nights will slowly but surely warm up. Our total snow so far has been about 3 inches. No ice storms so far. It is not Hot Springs you are right, which makes the summer less humid and warm . So nasty is a matter of opinion.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

70,358 posts, read 81,078,113 times
Quote:
Thank you for your insight and POV! I just got in from moving the HEAVY snow around just in case we have to go out in the next few days. The winds are picking up and the mercury is starting to drop.
I am more familiar with North Central and Southwestern Arkansas, but I do understand NWA is not going to be sandals and shorts in Winter. We enjoy the change of seasons, just not the -25F stuff. No we won't miss that!
About twenty-some years ago I had a Christmas meal on a deck in Cherokee Village with shorts and a t-shirt on and I never forgot that!
You are correct sir in that this polar vortex is going to be nasty for a lot of us! Be safe, stay warm and maybe one day we can sit together chatting about how cold we once were!
Hope we can get together with you for a drink when you are in town.

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hope we can get together with you for a drink when you are in town.
Nita we are still trying to work out a Dr appointment in St Louis, once that is set we can let you know when we will be down your way. We are both looking forward to meeting you and yes that glass of vino as well!

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

2,247 posts, read 1,568,096 times
Agree with the above statements re: winters in NWA. My first winter in Fayetteville was Jan, 1979 as a young student. It was a record cold winter. I was disappointed with how cold it was, but spring came, the dogwoods bloomed, and all was pleasant again.

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

1,857 posts, read 1,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Agree with the above statements re: winters in NWA. My first winter in Fayetteville was Jan, 1979 as a young student. It was a record cold winter. I was disappointed with how cold it was, but spring came, the dogwoods bloomed, and all was pleasant again.
Good point, we have 4 wonderful seasons in northern AR. By the time you are getting sick of the season's weather, the next one comes along. I appreciate it as I grew up in an area that had 9 months of brutal summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers