Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:36 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,544 times

Advertisements

Ok here it goes. Step 1 of much research. Nothing is happening right this very second BUT I am going through a divorce and staying with my mom in an area I could never afford on my own especially starting all over again. I know eventually I'll need to move out of state. A friend and their family may come along as well. Scary situation moving so far from everything you know. I have never lived outside of Ca.

I had to rehome my horse and he's in NWA which made me start looking at it for a possible relocation. Holy cow the housing prices! It's a beautiful place. I've been looking at the outskirts of Fayetteville as I prefer a little country living and will likely need to work at least part time. My friend's husband will also need a job. We are both hoping to come over and pay cash for our homes. What is the economy like? We are Christian families, conservative. What are gun laws like? Marijuana laws? Medical coverages? Crime rate? Weather? Does it snow? Super humid? Is there a central place to even look this information up?

Another concern. My daughter may or may not come with me. She is transgender identifying as male. I would really like some honest feedback on how this will be accepted in the area.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Well let's just say, our foster daughter who is a lesbian and her wife are planning on moving here when they retire in a few years. IF you are looking closer to Fayetteville she/he will be even more accepted. I will be honest, of course being a rural state and somewhat more Bible Belt there are not as many LGBT people here as in CA, but the closer you get to Fayetteville or Eukeka Springs the more accepting the community will be.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:24 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well let's just say, our foster daughter who is a lesbian and her wife are planning on moving here when they retire in a few years. IF you are looking closer to Fayetteville she/he will be even more accepted. I will be honest, of course being a rural state and somewhat more Bible Belt there are not as many LGBT people here as in CA, but the closer you get to Fayetteville or Eukeka Springs the more accepting the community will be.
That is really encouraging thank you!

Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 AM

1,263 posts, read 665,328 times
My wife and I are planning on relocating to NWA soon.
I wanted to tell you that the people of Arkansas that I have met are truly one of the many reasons we have decided on this area of the country to settle in. Although what I have found out is that most people everywhere are good people. My small group of friends travelled far and wide exploring remaining tracts of wilderness left in our country, and thru that we have met and became friends with folks in all walks of life. In towns before or after our trips, we never went to "touristy" locations, we went where the locals ate, drank, and played. If you ALWAYS show strangers your best side, you may be making a friend in the process. And...Arkansans are no different. Be respectful, and judge not lest ye' be judged.
Good luck to you and your family!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Keep in mind, even though college towns are typically more progressive, you are in the South. My guess is that coming from CA, there will likely be a significant difference in attitudes.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
OP can you clarify a couple of things?

You rehomed your horse living in California and it wound up in Arkansas?

You can't afford to live on your own there but you're going to pay cash for a house in Arkansas?

Noticed you haven't posted on CD for like 11 years. Any reason?

Sorry, just curious. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:01 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post

Noticed you haven't posted on CD for like 11 years. Any reason?

Sorry, just curious. Thanks.
This comes from a poster who has never actually lived in Arkansas but for reasons unclear loves to bash those who are considering moving here.
Ignore him.
Thank you, next.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:05 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This comes from a poster who has never actually lived in Arkansas but for reasons unclear loves to bash those who are considering moving here.
Ignore him.
Thank you, next.
A lot of people who don’t live there post in here. Who did I bash? I had a couple curious questions, what’s the big deal?

Old 01-31-2019, 10:33 AM

17,782 posts, read 13,673,847 times
All I can say as a person who lives in the state next door..............

If you are looking for a small town lifestyle in what in reality is a midsized MSA. Your total package in NW Arkansas is hard to beat in what is known as "flyover country".

Old 01-31-2019, 11:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Ignore him.
Thank you, next.
you do realize he has spent time in AR, interviewed for a few jobs here, would rather live here than almost anywhere and to be honest, he brings up a good point. We have so many trolls posting here, strange postings do make some of us wonder. And this is one of them for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers