U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 934 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just built a home in the country. So far, we have spent $2100 in keeping our house warm. We've had pressure checks and can confirm there are no leaks. Two water heaters, stove & HVAC are on propane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 12:49 PM

2,458 posts, read 6,251,514 times
I would sure try to figure out less expensive heating,you must have a lot of square footage.I lived in Salem for awhile and did not run thru 500 gallons.Propane is an expensive way to heat etc.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:51 PM

5,829 posts, read 2,278,012 times
Impossible to comment. Its a new house so there's no history. You didn't give information about square footage, thermostat settings, how many residents are home daily, (gallons of hot water use), your HVAC capacity or system details, local propane prices, or weather pattern compared to prior years. Have you tried to compare with similar houses with similar systems in the area? Why two hot water heaters?

Old 02-09-2019, 01:18 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,907,982 times
Sounds way wrong, but tell us more about the house....With a 3000' brick home in So IN, we would not go thru 500 gallons in a year, nothing but heat and cool tho'. But back up.... 4 tanks x 500=2000 gallons....for $2100 ? Where are you getting propane for $1/gallon ? I'm thinking perhaps you've had 4 fills, or tank top off's....possible ? Tanks on a regular fill schedule by the service company will require way less fuel than a full refill.

Time to invest in a supplemental wood heat source ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-09-2019, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 934 times
Ok cool, thanks for the responses. Wasn't sure how quickly this thread would get some reponses.

Ok here goes...

2550 sq. foot home. Metal siding and roof.
We keep our thermostat at 65 during the workday and 67 during the evening.
Our HVAC is a 4 tonne

Sorry my math wasn't totally on point. We've had 4 top offs in just under 6 months, and I may be off on $2100. It's probably closer to $2400.

However, the moment I get home, I chop some wood and get the wood stove burning with blowers going and it helps a little bit, but we have some lofted ceilings so not sure how well that circulates.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:32 PM

5,829 posts, read 2,278,012 times
[quote=DBR1982;54388403]

Sorry my math wasn't totally on point. We've had 4 top offs in just under 6 months, and I may be off on $2100. It's probably closer to $2400.

Doesn't sound right. When you say "top off" do you mean filling almost empty tanks or just adding some to a tank that is still mostly full? Maybe you are not actually using that much propane, the price of the fuel is simply very high.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:36 PM

1,874 posts, read 1,213,972 times
We use propane in a 500 gallon tank to heat our 1700 sq ft log home in combination with a wood stove. Our stove is also propane. We fill it twice per year to 16 months. The propane company doesn't fill it past 80% as a rule so we are actually only using about 650-700 gallons per year.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:17 PM

53 posts, read 10,607 times
Cord (4x4x8', or 128 cuft no matter how you stack it) of good, seasoned hardwood like oak or hickory is about the equivalent of 250gal of propane. Right now, propane is running $3/gal here, so that cord of wood = $750. Probably bit less, since the best wood stove efficiency still doesn't quite match the best efficiency of a propane furnace, but I say it's still worth 600 bucks/cord. Around here, you can buy wood for 150-200/cord, delivered. If you go that route, be sure to buy it now for next winter's use to allow for drying.

Wood heat is a lot messier fuel than propane, but we love our wood stove. Guess that explains why I have 4 of these 4 cord sheds filled.....just finished filling the last one today for use the winter of 2020-21. That's $10,000 worth of not using propane.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:39 PM

7,002 posts, read 12,239,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR1982 View Post
2550 sq. foot home. Metal siding and roof.
We keep our thermostat at 65 during the workday and 67 during the evening.
Our HVAC is a 4 tonne

I have the same question as Parnassia: what exactly do you mean by "top offs"? How many GALLONS have you used, in total? (Your thread title made it sound like you've gone through 2,000 gallons, but then you said it cost $2,100 -- later corrected to $2,400 -- and I knew it couldn't be 2,000 gallons unless you lived in the land of cheap propane, if that exists! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR1982 View Post
However, the moment I get home, I chop some wood and get the wood stove burning with blowers going and it helps a little bit, but we have some lofted ceilings so not sure how well that circulates.
Lofted ceilings can look beautiful, but I have never understood why anyone living in a cold climate would want them (unless they have unlimited money!). Heat rises, so all the lovely heat from the wood stove or baseboards or whatever is rising way above your head.

Anyway, if you've paid $2,400 so far and that's for, say, 800 gallons of propane at $3/gallon, that doesn't sound out of whack for a 2,550-square-foot house during a cold winter. (HAS it been a cold winter where you are?)

I just had a couple of propane heaters installed (one upstairs, one downstairs) for supplemental heat in my 1960 Colonial house in New Hampshire, but that was mostly for peace of mind in power outages. They're rare where I live, but without the propane heaters, if I lose power, I lose heat. I haven't used the heaters much but I did notice that they go through more propane than I would have expected. For me, it's not a big deal since they are supplemental heaters, and I LOVE the heat that the upstairs one puts out (it's a different kind of model than the one downstairs), so I live with it. Being warm is expensive so I budget for it every month and never have to worry about it.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:48 PM

1,874 posts, read 1,213,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have the same question as Parnassia: what exactly do you mean by "top offs"? How many GALLONS have you used, in total? (Your thread title made it sound like you've gone through 2,000 gallons, but then you said it cost $2,100 -- later corrected to $2,400 -- and I knew it couldn't be 2,000 gallons unless you lived in the land of cheap propane, if that exists! )

Lofted ceilings can look beautiful, but I have never understood why anyone living in a cold climate would want them (unless they have unlimited money!). Heat rises, so all the lovely heat from the wood stove or baseboards or whatever is rising way above your head.

Anyway, if you've paid $2,400 so far and that's for, say, 800 gallons of propane at $3/gallon, that doesn't sound out of whack for a 2,550-square-foot house during a cold winter. (HAS it been a cold winter where you are?)

I just had a couple of propane heaters installed (one upstairs, one downstairs) for supplemental heat in my 1960 Colonial house in New Hampshire, but that was mostly for peace of mind in power outages. They're rare where I live, but without the propane heaters, if I lose power, I lose heat. I haven't used the heaters much but I did notice that they go through more propane than I would have expected. For me, it's not a big deal since they are supplemental heaters, and I LOVE the heat that the upstairs one puts out (it's a different kind of model than the one downstairs), so I live with it. Being warm is expensive so I budget for it every month and never have to worry about it.
I prepay for my propane to get summer rates at $1.39/gallon. In winter, it typically runs about $1.79, sometimes as high as $1.99.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or