Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Fort Smith to Fayetteville is about twice the distance of Fayetteville to Bella Vista, which is generally considered the south to north edges of NWA. So geographically I wouldn't think it would be included as part of the region.
I totally agree but many who have lived here for years to include Ft Smith as part of the region. To me, it has always been from just north of FT Smith to the MO border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 08:20 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
There’s northwest Arkansas, then there’s Northwest Arkansas.
Fort Smith is on the western edge comfortably north of the north-south center line. Thus, northwest Arkansas. Harrison is on the northern edge, comfortably west of the east-west line. Again, northwest Arkansas.
The metropolitan area that has sprung up in recent decades apparently couldn’t find a better name for itself.
Eventually, people might get tired of that mouthful and come up with a shorter nickname. Hopefully something that doesn’t get confused with an old rap group.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:15 PM

41 posts, read 27,841 times
NWA is not a bad name.
You have :
NYC
NOVA
OC
DMV ...

Old 07-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
There’s northwest Arkansas, then there’s Northwest Arkansas.
Fort Smith is on the western edge comfortably north of the north-south center line. Thus, northwest Arkansas. Harrison is on the northern edge, comfortably west of the east-west line. Again, northwest Arkansas.
The metropolitan area that has sprung up in recent decades apparently couldn’t find a better name for itself.
Eventually, people might get tired of that mouthful and come up with a shorter nickname. Hopefully something that doesn’t get confused with an old rap group.
You can describe NWA anyway you want and many do put Fort Smith into the region As for Harrison, not so much so. In fact I have never heard Harrison being referred to as part on NWA by anyone who lives here. Normally people think NWA as starting just north of Fr Smith and ending in at the MO border. West to east, pretty much OK to Madison County, but certainly not as far east as Harrison. You can get technical as you are or you can describe the region like most people do. again, yes, some do consider Ft Smith as part of the region

Old 07-04-2019, 10:22 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
I can assure you that people in Harrison do not consider that area part of "NWA". I don't live in Harrison but it's where i have to do for shopping and other things.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:28 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You can describe NWA anyway you want and many do put Fort Smith into the region As for Harrison, not so much so. In fact I have never heard Harrison being referred to as part on NWA by anyone who lives here. Normally people think NWA as starting just north of Fr Smith and ending in at the MO border. West to east, pretty much OK to Madison County, but certainly not as far east as Harrison. You can get technical as you are or you can describe the region like most people do. again, yes, some do consider Ft Smith as part of the region
Just speaking of geography, not trying to be technical or override self-given nicknames. I just think they could have come up with something better, but what’s done is done and really none of it matters anyway.
This is just a small-talk forum. Some posters take me and the rest of it way too seriously.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:48 PM

231 posts, read 381,216 times
When you look up NWA MSA you get "Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR-MO"

I do understand what sub is saying. We are in the North West Region of the state that goes from Benton County to Scott County to Yell County then back up to Boone County. So this is North West Arkansas listed by the state. NWA metro isn't all that creative considering it doesn't include all of NWA.

I can see Carroll County coming into the MSA at some point. We do have a number of people who live in Eureka Springs that commute to Benton County. Fort smith has a large number of commuters but since it is already a MSA I don't think it will join us in the near future.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
When you look up NWA MSA you get "Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR-MO"

I do understand what sub is saying. We are in the North West Region of the state that goes from Benton County to Scott County to Yell County then back up to Boone County. So this is North West Arkansas listed by the state. NWA metro isn't all that creative considering it doesn't include all of NWA.

I can see Carroll County coming into the MSA at some point. We do have a number of people who live in Eureka Springs that commute to Benton County. Fort smith has a large number of commuters but since it is already a MSA I don't think it will join us in the near future.
I guess this is a topic, similar to the one on "is AR really a so state or is MO southern? Again, tech the division is at the Mason/Dickson lines we learned in US Geography but culturally many living in NWA consider is more mid western than southern. These are all topics that can be debated til HELL freezes over and no one is 100% right or wrong. It is how we, as individuals see things.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:50 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times
Obviously Little Rock is still the larger MSA population-wise, and probably will be for some time. One factor to consider with regards to MSA population is that NWA is only four counties, (with two being very rural and not adding much population to the MSA), while the Little Rock metro is six counties.

For comparison of "urban area", the 2018 census estimates show that Benton and Washington counties combined have over 508,000 people. In the Little Rock MSA, this would be larger than any two county combination. Pulaski and Faulker counties combined would be close in population, but slightly less.

In that sense, it's strange to think that NWA's population centers are somewhat more closely clustered than the population in the Little Rock MSA.

If current trends hold, I would not be surprised to see XNA be neck and neck with LIT as far as passenger traffic in the next few years. XNA is breaking records year to year, while LIT is stagnant.

I believe NWA has more going on culturally, especially that which is easier to access. Little Rock has State Government.

Little Rock's retail/medical sectors serve a much larger area of the state, and so both are still larger and better, although the difference isn't that noticeable to the average person.

NWA has better sports (SEC sports nearly year round, and the same tier of minor league baseball), higher ed, cultural/arts, more sophisticated local beer culture, and better nature.

Outdoors activities here area better, especially things that are in reach within the cities themselves.

It isn't close to me as far as which area I prefer, but I think Little Rock has a lot to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers