Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 06:25 PM

383 posts, read 399,557 times

Advertisements

Those of you who know of our past adventures know of my love for North Central AR. We have trekked far and wide the area north of the Arkansas River. If I were single, I'd already be living between the Buffalo and Bull Shoals. DW is afraid of what I love about AR and that is all the critters. She is especially fearful of the snakes.

I have plans to make an early June trip down to fish for Smallies on Crooked Creek near Pyatt. Asked her if she wanted to go and got "the look". I told her it was OK if she stayed home as I did not want her to be fearful, but I was going. She said sure.

So I figure I have one last shot here to show her something different, a little bit of civilization in AR. After a few days at CC, I'm thinking of finding a VRBO near the Beaver Lake tailwater so we can fish for trout (DW likes Trout). Then we can wander around the lake to Bentonville area. So help me out here. Tell me where the foodie places are and the charming old downtown shopping district is that might wow her a bit. Perhaps she will think twice about writing AR off if she realizes all of AR ain't redneck like i prefer to live. Perhaps a compromise is still possible? There is always hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 06:40 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
So I take it she prefers more town than rural?

How about looking more towards Branson? Then you are still close to the areas you prefer? Branson is an amazing town with lots of activities, restaurants, and shopping, but also has the beautiful lakes and is only minutes to the AR line.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:52 PM

I've considered Branson and Tablerock Lake Area. We talked about it and neither of us had strong desire to go. We have never been to Beaver or the other side of Beaver. I suppose I could bring Branson up again. We could Visit ES on the way north.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:39 PM

I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done to convince her. To love much of Arkansas the way you do or the areas you want to be, a person has to love and appreciate the outdoors. There are snakes, just as there are in any rural, forested area but I think she has probably blown the threat out of proportion in her mind.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 639 times
Eureka Springs
Fishing for you, shopping and cool eclectic ambiance for her. Nature, but not too much. Luxury accomodations everywhere and run the gamut from cabins to treehouses in beautiful surroundings. Look for something in West Eureka Springs near Beaver Lake/Beaver Dam and the White River within 10 miles of Eureka Springs - it will make you both happy and she'll fall in love with the area - seem it happen hundreds of times in 11 years.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:09 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
A person can live in the outskirts of one of those NWA towns or Little Rock and have easy access to them and the rural stuff.
It’s Arkansas. Redneck types live in the cities too and they’re not going to make themselves drive far for hunting, fishing, ATV’s, etc. It can be the best of both worlds if you’re so inclined, and you wouldn’t have to live out in the boonies unless you really just wanted to.
I’d caution that Eureka Springs is small and isolated with not great Highway access from all directions.
Like Branson, it’s primarily touristy.
Unlike Branson, it doesn’t function as a regular town all that well. Parts of Branson feel like a spiffy suburb.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. We have spent 3 days in ES and both agree it is a great place to visit but not a place to live. I think I stray from Branson as I have a mindset of it being a mini Nashville/Wisconsin Dells tourist trap. Not sure where I got that idea from as I've never been there. Maybe a bit unfair of me.

Your right about the snake thing Holly. I don't understand that kind of fear as I have never experienced it. Last time we were hiking by the Buffalo, she almost freaked. Never saw a snake. Just some small lizards. One night we were sitting outside our cabin which was in the woods, we heard something big tearing thru the woods making a bit of a fuss. DW immediately imagines a bear. Me, I lay my 45 on the bench next to her and say don't worry. It did'nt help calm her at all.

I could live on the outskirts of town as long as there are no next door neighbors. I like neighbors to be no closer than 1/4 mile. Maybe 1/8 mile. I guess you can say I like my space.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Thanks for the replies. We have spent 3 days in ES and both agree it is a great place to visit but not a place to live. I think I stray from Branson as I have a mindset of it being a mini Nashville/Wisconsin Dells tourist trap. Not sure where I got that idea from as I've never been there. Maybe a bit unfair of me.

Your right about the snake thing Holly. I don't understand that kind of fear as I have never experienced it. Last time we were hiking by the Buffalo, she almost freaked. Never saw a snake. Just some small lizards. One night we were sitting outside our cabin which was in the woods, we heard something big tearing thru the woods making a bit of a fuss. DW immediately imagines a bear. Me, I lay my 45 on the bench next to her and say don't worry. It did'nt help calm her at all.

I could live on the outskirts of town as long as there are no next door neighbors. I like neighbors to be no closer than 1/4 mile. Maybe 1/8 mile. I guess you can say I like my space.

Only on the main strip in Branson is it like that. There are other areas that are really nice, beautiful lakes, shopping, etc. There is a town just south of Branson called Hollister that is really charming with lots of nearby shopping and eating places but low population. It's only about 10 miles north of the AR/MO state line.

It probably was a bear (I see them often) but the reality of it is that once the bear realized you and her were there, he would have ran off in fear of you, lol . They are truly harmless for the most part and beautiful to watch.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:11 AM

490 posts, read 1,265,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
I've considered Branson and Tablerock Lake Area. We talked about it and neither of us had strong desire to go. We have never been to Beaver or the other side of Beaver. I suppose I could bring Branson up again. We could Visit ES on the way north.
If you have the time stay at least one night at Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge, it is about 7 miles south of Eureka Springs. It's a little pricey but the money goes back to the facility for the animals. We stayed 3 nights there last year and had a great time.

Instead of me trying to explain everything, visit their website. I think you and DW would enjoy it.

https://www.turpentinecreek.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers