Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 11:53 AM

60 posts, read 67,979 times

Advertisements

I'd probably get one after a few months, but I'm wondering if it's feasible. If so, which would be the best neighborhoods to make it happen in? (Any other insight about the area is obviously welcome as well.) Thanks! -- John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 01:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinspal View Post
I'd probably get one after a few months, but I'm wondering if it's feasible. If so, which would be the best neighborhoods to make it happen in? (Any other insight about the area is obviously welcome as well.) Thanks! -- John
John, it is possible: some college kids some do it, but it isn't easy that is for sure. I can't tell you a neighborhood that would make it easier but I am sure there are many others here that will be able to assist you with answers to your question. I can tell you, Fayetteville is a delightful town with a really awesome town square and lots of charm as well as good dining, entertainment and history.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:54 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
If you cycle, look at places near the trail system. Pretty much everywhere in town is not far from the trail system at this point, the only exception being the far west side. Most of the trails are lighted until at least midnight.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
with uber and lyft as options as well as electric scooters, it's easy to do but you should be near the college for the bus routes. There's a place called uptown near shopping and dining you can check out, but it's not near the college.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:28 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
It's not easy to be on "ankle express" in Northwest Arkansas. The place is spread amongst two counties, and a single interstate highway is the backbone of their transportation system.

You would have to live a short distance from all the places you go--rerstuaurants, groceries, etc.

On the plus side, this is a very booming place with the headquarters of the giants Walmart and Tyson Foods. And it's essentially a new city with modern accommodations, etc. I used to work up there a week at a time, and really enjoy the place and the atmosphere of the university town.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:24 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
Yes, it would be difficult to commute between cities without a car, although not entirely impossible. But living and working within Fayetteville without a car is entirely possible. I know several people who commute via bicycle at least part of the time, and they go a few miles each way. You'd be hard-pressed to find a warm climate town with more miles of dedicated cycle paths per capita than Fayetteville, Arkansas.

The downtown area is accessible via Frisco Trail (which is also part of the Greenway). This leads through the center of north Fayetteville to "uptown" which is really just a suburban shopping district. But you can ride your bike there, connect to the Mud Creek Trail (east/west) and visit Target, Walmart, Best Buy, restaurants, etc without ever having to ride you bike on a street and worry about cars. ALL of the major parks are connected to the trail system, as well.

East/West connections in the rest of the city are harder to come by, but it is possible. The "Midtown Trail" will connect a large section of the center of the city with a major east/west route.

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/20...rail-corridor/

Lots of Fayetteville is very hilly, but the bike routes take this into consideration, and most are concentrated in low-lying streamside areas.

Here's an article today about yet another cycle path link that is nearing completion. Anything between Crossover and Garland east to west, and Joyce to MLK on the south is feasible to bicycle, in Fayetteville the city proper. Springdale and Rogers have far less-complete trail systems.

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/20...y-late-summer/

Old 05-18-2020, 11:54 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Our son lives a few blocks south of downtown Fayetteville, within walking distance of a grocery store, dollar store, walgreen, library etc., mostly does ok without a car, uses Lyft/Uber several times a month.

But he has us & many friends to pick up the slack & extend his world. It would be doable but tough otherwise.

Old 05-19-2020, 01:31 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
You'll definitely want a car as soon as you could get one.
THIS IS NOT AN INSULT TO ARKANSAS JUST AN OBSERVATION, but walkability is not their strong suit and sidewalks are often an afterthought in pretty much any city or town there and Fayetteville is no different. As for biking, it will be muggy much of the year but they do have some trails and keep adding more. Public transit is not something I'd want to have to rely on too much there.
This post simply addresses the issues of living without a car. If you like the town and want to live there, I'd recommend buying a vehicle beforehand or as soon as possible when you get settled in.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:53 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
When I was a freshman in college, we went on a weekend road trip to Fayetteville and the University of Arkansas. Back then, it was a pretty major trip just from Little Rock to Fayetteville.

That weekend happened to be Sadie Hawkins Day when all the girls were asking the guys out. And the parties on and around campus were open to all. When the bands took a break, everyone called the pigs until the band returned. SOOOOWEEEE!

In 1968, the University of Arkansas was quite a place. And it still is. Everyone was steeped in the university life, and the people there have always been just great. And we drove to the state line where we could get that high demand beer--Coors.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
just another comment on your questions and they are good questions: as I mentioned it is hard to imagine not having a car unless you are a student but to clarify what Sub said: no sidewalks are not the thing in NWA and yes, the humidity is an issue about 3 months out of the year, but many people, especially the younger crowd bike everywhere in Fayetteville or almost everywhere. Hiking is very popular and the love for outdoor living is very obvious. The biggest problem you would have would be trying to get to a job on a daily basis without a car. Just remember you will be not living in a major city: it is not NYC, DC, Atlanta or anyplace with a great public transportation system. It is a region with fun things to do, nice people,natural beauty and a combination of rural and urban life all together. How you adjust will depend on where you are coming from, what you expect and your attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers