U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2021, 02:58 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,736,092 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m thinking of possibly staying in the NWA area for perhaps 2-3 months to scout the area for a possible relocation at some point (no definite plans though). I’m ready to leave Southern California, and I have considered Oregon, Oklahoma, and Arkansas as strong options (I’ve spent lengthy time periods already in Portland, Oregon). I do have family throughout Oklahoma (in the Tulsa, Muskogee, and Poteau areas) and have considered Oklahoma as well. But NWA seems more appealing (at least on paper), but since I have never been there, I would like to visit for a time.

My main question deals with the market in the area for UberEats, Doordash, and other food-based delivery services. Does anyone know how popular and widespread these services are in the greater Fayetteville/Bentonville areas? Since the COVID pandemic, I’ve focused heavily on performing various types of non-traditional work, and I’ve actually done quite well utilizing various food-based delivery apps — and I would like to continue doing this as a supplemental income wherever I go (even if only for a brief time). I love the flexibility and autonomy afforded by these types of gigs, and I definitely plan on making them an ongoing income source.
Thus far, I’ve delivered in both the Portland, Oregon metro area as well as in my local suburb in Southern California — and both areas have plenty of earnings opportunities, with the Portland area actually being the better and more lucrative of the two.

But I’m not so sure how lucrative it would be delivering in the NWA area. Obviously, it’s a much smaller urban area compared to Portland and Southern California, so that would be a factor. However, many drivers actually do quite well operating in smaller urban areas, so overall metro population size is not always the main determiner of how lucrative a particular delivery market may be. Many drivers in less populated areas do well, and it’s likely due to numerous factors, including overall market saturation.

But I’d love to hear from anyone who may know how widespread and/or popular any of the food-delivery services are in the NWA area.

Thank you,

Jason
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 09:41 PM

231 posts, read 57,613 times
I don't use them myself, but I have seen a fair number of drivers at the eateries in Rogers around the Pinnacle area. I've got a millennial colleague in Springdale that uses food delivery services all the time and seems happy.

Personally, since Covid, I've become quite adept at my own takeout using an old soft sided cooler as an insulated bag and also bought an actual pizza bag. My wife and I have been working from home for a year, so going to get takeout on occasion is a bit of a treat, wouldn't dream of paying someone to do it for me.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:45 AM

248 posts, read 96,093 times
Walmart is very popular here, obviously. Grocery delivery is exploding. Bella Vista, Bentonville, Rogers, Centerton and other cities in the area are eligible for same or next day delivery from WM. The driver I talked to who delivered my groceries last said she keeps very busy. She told me the company she worked for, but can’t remember the name. Actually she said she worked for two different companies, doing the same thing. If you are in the business, I’m sure you will know the names of the businesses or can find out.

We have a lot (many) folks from CA coming into Bella Vista and NWA. We welcome y’all with open arms! All we ask is that you don’t bring CA ‘policies’ and ‘regulations’ with you!

Good folks here in NWA. It’s a melting pot. I bet you will feel right at home.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:25 AM

11,151 posts, read 9,031,467 times
They’re as widely available in Fayetteville as in other metro area. Our son uses them. DH & I prefer curbside pickup because we’re within a 5-10 minute drive of any Fayetteville restaurant & there’s no additional fee. YMMV.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:57 PM

4,310 posts, read 3,824,394 times
One suggestion... you might check out the tipping habits of the people in the area because that will affect your income. I always think of places like California and Oregon as possibly having a higher tipping base than Arkansas. I don't know that as a fact. If I needed tips to survive, I'd look into that as a function of my income.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:00 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,736,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
One suggestion... you might check out the tipping habits of the people in the area because that will affect your income. I always think of places like California and Oregon as possibly having a higher tipping base than Arkansas. I don't know that as a fact. If I needed tips to survive, I'd look into that as a function of my income.
Good point. Thank you. Yes, the tips are a major income source, folks generally tip well in the areas in which I worked in both Oregon and California. My gut feeling is that the base pay per delivery would likely be less because the overall cost of living is much lower in Arkansas (gas prices are much lower as well) compared to California especially but also compared to Oregon. But whether or not the tips would be less is a separate question.

Old Today, 10:23 AM

231 posts, read 57,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Good point. Thank you. Yes, the tips are a major income source, folks generally tip well in the areas in which I worked in both Oregon and California. My gut feeling is that the base pay per delivery would likely be less because the overall cost of living is much lower in Arkansas (gas prices are much lower as well) compared to California especially but also compared to Oregon. But whether or not the tips would be less is a separate question.
I tip generously here at home because Arkansas still has a very low tipped minimum wage. When I travel to states like CA and WA where they have a high minimum wage I lower my tipping accordingly. It's easy to check Wikipedia for current wage rates before traveling.

It has been my general experience that the service is far better in Arkansas, and certainly "warmer" in terms of friendliness. You can't say it's because I'm a poor tipper when traveling because those people don't know me from Adam and the tip comes at the end of the meal. On the rare occasion I get superior service on the West Coast, I tip accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers