Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 12:21 PM

12 posts, read 14,946 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! I am planning a visit to NWA next month, and need advice. My husband and I will be in the Bella Vista/Bentonville area to celebrate a special occasion. Additionally, we will be looking at the area as a possible relocation/retirement destination. My husband is a bit of a food snob, and I’m hoping that you guys can give me some tips on good places to eat while in the area. We plan a couple of day trips, to Eureka Springs, and Fayetteville. Complicating matters is that we will be on a rather tight budget for us, for the time being. Aside from our special occasion meal, we will be pinching our pennies. I don’t mind diners or dives, and I love barbecue, as long as the food is good. Can y’all help me out? Thank you in advance, so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 10:58 PM

425 posts, read 493,173 times
Hi there. Welcome from Bella Vista.
A lot of good food in the area. I’ll list a few of our favorites…

Bella Vista: Not a lot to choose from here. The POA controls all plausible dining options.

- Bella Vista Bar and Grill: A great lunch spot. Great views from the dining area (golf course). Great menu, reasonably priced. Worth the experience if you are considering BV as a retirement home.

Eureka Springs:

- Myrtie Mae’s cafe: (since the 1920’s) It’s a restaurant inside a Best Western hotel as you come into Eureka. They are famous for their fried chicken. Seriously, the best fried chicken I’ve ever had. They also have a great salad bar. Warning.. you will overeat!

- Basin Park Hotel Restaurant: Google Basin Park Hotel and read up on its history. It’s a historic hotel and intriguing. They have a restaurant with outdoor balcony seating. The food is very good and you can people watch while you dine.

Bentonville: So many options.. I’ll list our favorites:

- Blue Fish House: Get in line 30 mins before they open. Everything here from sushi to fried fish. Best clam chowder I’ve ever had. Don’t miss this place!

- Ron’s Hamburgers: (you said you like local dives).. Based out of OK, they serve up traditional hamburgers and home cut fries. The chili burger is my favorite (basically a hamburger sitting in a bowl of chili). What’s not to like?

- Tavoli (on the square): Priced a little on the higher side (but not out if reach), it’s a great local dive for Italian food. Always good and consistent.

- Glasgow’s: Operating since 1964. It’s Tex Mex cuisine, a local dive and the food is excellent.

- Wrights BBQ: (you said you like BBO)… Located on Bentonville square: It’s the only real Texas style BBQ in the area. The Brisket is amazing. The pork ribs are great and the sides are good. Pricey, but worth it. It’s the only BBQ in NWA that I would recommend. (Call before you go.. the pandemic has rendered their hours a bit unpredictable).

Gentry AR:

- The Wooden Spoon: Get in line an hour early (seriously). Owned and ran by Mennonites. The menu is pre-set and changes by the week. The food is cooked from scratch, as well as the desserts. Amazing food and experience here. You won’t regret it.

Bonus:

- Anderson Mo: (a few miles across the line from BV). A local dive serving hamburgers. It’s called “Burger Time”. It’s in Pineville MO. They serve up griddle cooked hamburgers and fresh cut fries. It’s a walk up and eat in your car type of place. Worth the drive. Best hamburger in these parts (in my opinion). (Call before you go.. their hours are a little sketchy).

Keep us posted on your trip and where you visit!

Last edited by vcvs; 09-13-2021 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 12:57 AM

231 posts, read 375,403 times
We have many options we didn’t have 5+ years ago. Anything on the Bentonville square really. My wife is a big fan of “tusk and trotter” and Pedalers Pub. My son likes “the rail” in Rogers. I like Flavors Indian restaurant, Gold Town Sushi & Korean BBQ, station cafe (now under a new name so not sure yet), Fred's Hickory Inn, The Preacher's Son, and waffle hut….

Old 09-14-2021, 05:43 AM

1,593 posts, read 841,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO Lady View Post
Hi, all! I am planning a visit to NWA next month, and need advice. My husband and I will be in the Bella Vista/Bentonville area to celebrate a special occasion. Additionally, we will be looking at the area as a possible relocation/retirement destination. My husband is a bit of a food snob, and I’m hoping that you guys can give me some tips on good places to eat while in the area. We plan a couple of day trips, to Eureka Springs, and Fayetteville. Complicating matters is that we will be on a rather tight budget for us, for the time being. Aside from our special occasion meal, we will be pinching our pennies. I don’t mind diners or dives, and I love barbecue, as long as the food is good. Can y’all help me out? Thank you in advance, so much!

To add to VCVS, can't recommend the Wooden Spoon in Gentry nearly enough. Food is always great and their deserts are even better. Arrive by 10:45 am to get seated immediately.

Burger Time in Anderson is just off I49 at the highway EE exit and cuts back their hours after labor day as they cater to a lot of the nearby river rat crowd, but I think they still do lunch until it gets cold, but call.

If you want what is in my opinion the best burger in Northwest Arkansas, Feltner Bros. in Fayetteville is amazing, not overpriced, and NOT down by the college so easy to get to. Just 25 minutes from Bentonville.

Good cheap American diners? Wesner's grill in downtown Rogers is great for breakfast and won't break the bank. Sam's Olde Tyme Hamburgers, also just off downtown Rogers is also great for breakfast or lunch.

For sit down Mexican food, Las Palmas on North Walton Blvd. in Bentonville is consistently very good, and well run. For fast Mexican food, Taco Casa in Rogers is cheap with plentiful portions. They're a small chain out of Texas (only 100 or so restaurants).

Frankly, it's hard to eat cheap these days. I've been on a tight budget in the past and you could find hidden gems all over the place, but the wage scale is up in NWA (AR min wage is $11 and hour) and with the general shortage of labor all over, everyone has raised prices. I can still afford to eat out but we've cut back to just a couple restaurant meals a week.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:40 PM

You guys really came through! These recs all look so intriguing; will keep the ones we can’t make in my trip file for future reference. DH is especially interested in The Wooden Spoon. He grew up not far from Amish country; as a “maker” himself, he feels an affinity for these more traditional cultures.

I am getting so excited about the trip! My first visit to AR was as a fifteen year old Scout, canoeing the Buffalo River with four other girls and our troop leader. It’s been too many years since my last visit. My mother is a craft enthusiast who grew up in MO not far from the Ozarks. She loved to take us on camping trips to your state, which I continued as a young adult, for a time. I never made it over to the region we will be visiting on this trip, however. Really looking forward to rectifying that omission.

I forgot to request recs for good brekky spots. One of the reasons we are traveling there is to try my hand (legs!) on your bike trails. Hope to see how far I can get on the Razorback Greenway, and will need some good fuel for the trip. Your network of bike trails has put the state on my radar for retirement planning. It looks like there is no slowing that particular infrastructure train down, which means more fun for people like me to explore.

I have to give a shout-out to the state’s various websites related to tourism. It’s been pretty easy to find what I’ve been looking for, and the pics of the state’s abundant natural beauty are especially tantalizing. Before creating this account, I tried researching on Yelp and Tripadvisor, but did not feel terribly confident in what I was reading. I’ve been a CD lurker for years, and have followed several stories to their conclusion with either a happily settled mover, or a redirected search. It occurs to me that this may be the beginning of my own version of that quest.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:20 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,802,244 times
Catfish Hole in FV is a place that we enjoyed when we visited there two years ago. Plenty of food and the desserts were great. We wanted catfish when in AR and this place filled the bill for us. It looked like a bunch of locals were there as well.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:42 PM

Thank you so much, Rogerven. I LOVE fried catfish! If y’all are ever in the Greater NOLA area, may I recommend that you check out Middendorf’s? There are two locations now. I prefer the older restaurant in Manchac, on the shores of Lake Maurepas (a local favorite for forever), but the newer spot in Slidell, just off of I 10 for those driving through, is a bit more convenient. If you find yourself in New Orleans and craving catfish, check out Barrow’s Catfish, originally Barrow’s Shady Inn, on Earhart. This is a second generation, minority-owned business. The daughter of the original owner finally got it back up and running after it was closed for some time following Katrina, and we are so happy that she did. DH and I have enjoyed their great catfish and potato salad for more years than I care to admit to.

I forgot to thank the earlier respondents in my previous post. I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to sit down and put your thoughtful responses into a post. You are giving me a very helpful distraction (researching your suggestions) during a time when I can certainly use a few. Mother Nature has been rocking our world lately, and it doesn’t look like she’s finished with us yet. Bless you all!

Old 09-15-2021, 09:47 PM

425 posts, read 493,173 times
Catfish Johns.. I think it has a Rogers address, is another good catfish place. Been there for many years. They have Pinto beans as well.

Speaking of Pinto beans, The Wagon Wheel restaurant in Springdale is a great greasy spoon for country fried steak and gravy type meals. Country cooking and they also have pinto beans. One of their meal plates is pinto beans, cornbread, potatoes and an onion. That’s normally what I get.
You will know you’re at the right place when you see the huge tree growing up through the front porch. They built the porch and roof around the tree. Pretty cool place.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:06 AM

3,743 posts, read 5,802,244 times
Quote:
Thank you so much, Rogerven. I LOVE fried catfish! If y’all are ever in the Greater NOLA area, may I recommend that you check out Middendorf’s? There are two locations now. I prefer the older restaurant in Manchac, on the shores of Lake Maurepas (a local favorite for forever), but the newer spot in Slidell, just off of I 10 for those driving through, is a bit more convenient. If you find yourself in New Orleans and craving catfish, check out Barrow’s Catfish, originally Barrow’s Shady Inn, on Earhart. This is a second generation, minority-owned business. The daughter of the original owner finally got it back up and running after it was closed for some time following Katrina, and we are so happy that she did. DH and I have enjoyed their great catfish and potato salad for more years than I care to admit to.

I forgot to thank the earlier respondents in my previous post. I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to sit down and put your thoughtful responses into a post. You are giving me a very helpful distraction (researching your suggestions) during a time when I can certainly use a few. Mother Nature has been rocking our world lately, and it doesn’t look like she’s finished with us yet. Bless you all!
Thank you for this. I am scheduled to go to NOLA first part of Nov. The Hotel Monteleone is supposed to be back open then and I am staying with some friends in Slidell before hand. This a professional group meeting and we hope we can still have it after the bad storms.
I will keep these in mind. Thank you!

Old 09-16-2021, 08:24 AM

25 posts, read 58,658 times
Quote:

I was born and raised in Nola. I no longer live in Louisiana. I miss Middendorf's. Great food! My son recently moved from BR to NWA. He and his family love Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers