Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 10:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Born and raised in CAlifornia (southern Ca by the way) and I didn't know that. I guess we are never to old to learn.

Nita
The story I heard was that Polk wanted to draw the border at Point Concepcion but then-Major Robert E. Lee saw the value of having San Diego as a port and persuaded Polk to draw the border farther south.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 04:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The story I heard was that Polk wanted to draw the border at Point Concepcion but then-Major Robert E. Lee saw the value of having San Diego as a port and persuaded Polk to draw the border farther south.

I just never even thought much about it. I am sure, as much as we studied Calif in school back in the 40s and 50s we were taught something about shy Baja is part of Mexico but I can't remember it..

Nita

Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 AM

731 posts, read 1,367,152 times
I believe California was once known as Baja Oregon before 1800.

Quote:
I just never even thought much about it. I am sure, as much as we studied Calif in school back in the 40s and 50s we were taught something about shy Baja is part of Mexico but I can't remember it..

Nita

Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I believe California was once known as Baja Oregon before 1800.
Really, now that one I never heard anything about..

Nita

Old 06-20-2010, 09:15 PM

93 posts, read 264,983 times
Default nuts

Quote:
But you did at one time, then they decided to move back to where America is really America. (only kidding about that, Ca has a lot to offere as well) just too many nuts running around that have fallen from the trees.
Nita
You're right we do have some nuts - many times those "nuts" are not native Californians. And then there's the discussion as to what constitutes a nut. You know what is interesting? My mom is from Clarksville, Arkansas and my dad is from Leon, Iowa and I was born in Encino, California. Out of the three of us I'm the conservative one.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,250 times
my brother in law's dad owns like 20 houses in arkansas lol dont know where exactly..(he rents them out) but he goes there a few times a year to check in on things. Apparently for the price of one house here u can get like 5 massive estates there hahahaha
sad part is the houses he owns there are all huge, i've seen pics.. 4-5 bedrooms minimum each, huge backyards on big lots. the house he lives in here is a tiny 3 bedroom house

Old 06-20-2010, 10:50 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,152 times
I dealt with some folks from Seattle that bought two homes in Bentonville sight unseen because some local real estate group (in Seattle) recommended buying houses in Bentonville & San Antonio because of investment potential. This was before the national bubble burst. They also bought a bunch of land in Bella Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
my brother in law's dad owns like 20 houses in arkansas lol dont know where exactly..(he rents them out) but he goes there a few times a year to check in on things. Apparently for the price of one house here u can get like 5 massive estates there hahahaha
sad part is the houses he owns there are all huge, i've seen pics.. 4-5 bedrooms minimum each, huge backyards on big lots. the house he lives in here is a tiny 3 bedroom house

Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I dealt with some folks from Seattle that bought two homes in Bentonville sight unseen because some local real estate group (in Seattle) recommended buying houses in Bentonville & San Antonio because of investment potential. This was before the national bubble burst. They also bought a bunch of land in Bella Vista.
and much of the land in BV that has not been built on is just sitting here, not worth too much. That doesn't mean the area isn't growing, it is, and we haven't been affected by the housing burst as much, but we are struggling, just like the rest of the country. The good news, Benton county is still one of the fastest growing areas in the country. (of course % wise we have to remember an area of 150,000 people can add 2 or 3 thou and show a huge growth) Still BV itself has gone from 16,000 in about 2003 to 26000 in 2008.

NIta

Old 06-21-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State View Post
You're right we do have some nuts - many times those "nuts" are not native Californians. And then there's the discussion as to what constitutes a nut. You know what is interesting? My mom is from Clarksville, Arkansas and my dad is from Leon, Iowa and I was born in Encino, California. Out of the three of us I'm the conservative one.
of course you are the conservative, you are younger and smarter..

Nita

Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
But you did at one time, then they decided to move back to where America is really America. (only kidding about that, Ca has a lot to offere as well) just too many nuts running around that have fallen from the trees.
Nita
The nuts make life exciting, Nita. And the best part: They don't ask what church I attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers