Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 01:34 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times

Advertisements

I think Fontucky said he goes to First Baptist Church in Fontana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Think Fontucky was just saying what he did in jest.

Anyway, I guess some of you live in areas where people don't care where you go to church, that's fine, most here don't either and am not insulted when someone asks me. I don't think it's a big deal..

When they start knocking on my door and telling me I will soon go to HELL if I don't think their way, well that will upset me, cause I am going to HELL probably but I didn't want them to know..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
There has been in influx of folks from California / west coast to Northwest Arkansas the past few years.

I am curious what is the attraction? I know that Californians are used to having the mountains and scenic desert on one side and the Pacific ocean beaches on the other.

And you folks are also used to reliably mild weather. There are no beaches nearby here in NWA. So what is the attraction?

Understand I am not criticizing anyone or anything - I am just curious and want to understand.

I'm not going to read 30-sum pages of posts, so I'm likely to duplicate some responses.

But I'd bet that if you were able to question all the California transplants about their "roots", you'd find out that many of them are NOT California natives. A few could even have Arkansas roots (childhood, family). See, California is a state of transplants, especially in the large metro areas (I've known a lot of people here who transfered to San Jose for jobs in the 80's, and several have returned). There are likely damn few "natives" there anymore. And many of them don't stay.

Not everyone in California likes the climate (although it varies. . . and the milder climate is mostly in less metropolitan places). Other people don't find the financial struggles worth it (again, there are cheaper areas in California, outside of the big cities). The screwed up political climate there is certainly not for everyone, and SF-LA pretty much dictates the state as a whole. There's all kinds of reasons.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM

93 posts, read 265,068 times
Default yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I'm not going to read 30-sum pages of posts, so I'm likely to duplicate some responses.

But I'd bet that if you were able to question all the California transplants about their "roots", you'd find out that many of them are NOT California natives. A few could even have Arkansas roots (childhood, family). See, California is a state of transplants, especially in the large metro areas (I've known a lot of people here who transfered to San Jose for jobs in the 80's, and several have returned). There are likely damn few "natives" there anymore. And many of them don't stay.

Not everyone in California likes the climate (although it varies. . . and the milder climate is mostly in less metropolitan places). Other people don't find the financial struggles worth it (again, there are cheaper areas in California, outside of the big cities). The screwed up political climate there is certainly not for everyone, and SF-LA pretty much dictates the state as a whole. There's all kinds of reasons.
Some good points Bluesmama (great name)! Many times people think someone is a Californian because that's the last place they lived but they're originally from somewhere else. I don't consider them a SoCal native, unless they moved here when they where very little. However, there are tons of native Californians. We love our state and generally stay put. Some may leave for greener pastures. However, if you read on the California page there is a long thread of Californians who moved away and now realize it wasn't greener pastures and they are coming back. California's climate is amazing. The milder climate is by the beach where it is, understandably, congested. I live about 40 minutes from the beach and there's quite a bit of elbow room. I like the hot, dry climate - humidity I can do without. Finally, many times non-Californians are always talking about how expensive it is. Not everything is as expensive as some people might think. Many times our groceries are less expensive than other places. My grandma used to miss our produce and prices when she moved to Arkansas. Also, home prices have come down so far that many other states are actually comparable or more expensive. My buddy is from Idaho and he says prices in his town are just as expensive and the pay is horrible. I'll leave it at this for now.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:55 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State View Post
We love our state and generally stay put. Some may leave for greener pastures. However, if you read on the California page there is a long thread of Californians who moved away and now realize it wasn't greener pastures and they are coming back.
Y'know. . .

I'm one of those ex-Californians who will go back. Being from the Central San Joaquin Valley, I know that there are a lot of long-time generational families there, and I'm from one of them. I left here against my will, and never adapted well to the other states I've lived in. While there are lots of things I don't like about the state, the good things outweigh it.

I'd be a lot happier in my current homestead if the weather was a little better, but it's never been to my liking, and sunshine is very important to my well-being.

Now that we trailed off-topic. . . .

Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
With the decline in the cost of homes many people are staying in California. We were goint to move to Arizona at one point and even built a home there. Never could find a job though. We ended up staying and have watched home values plunge to where we could afford them. In our neighborhood alone homes were selling between $700,000 and $1,000,000. Now the same homes are selling in the $380,000 to $550,000 range. I am seeing them still decline in price and am thinking that we will buy what we want within the next 12 months. Lucky us. I see that though as something that will keep people in California.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 AM

Markets are hard to figure. In seeking equilibrium, the down side will be an overreaction like the bubble. But I can't figure what prices will be. Maybe prices will get low enough where I can buy a condo in Mission Beach in San Diego. I love San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
With the decline in the cost of homes many people are staying in California. We were goint to move to Arizona at one point and even built a home there. Never could find a job though. We ended up staying and have watched home values plunge to where we could afford them. In our neighborhood alone homes were selling between $700,000 and $1,000,000. Now the same homes are selling in the $380,000 to $550,000 range. I am seeing them still decline in price and am thinking that we will buy what we want within the next 12 months. Lucky us. I see that though as something that will keep people in California.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,474 times
Are there really a lot of Californians moving to AR? I am dying to meet them!!! I am a native Californian who moved here 2 years ago and am extremely lonely for home. I've worked so hard to find a place in my community, but Arkansas has proved much less than hospitable. I would love to meet other displaced Californians. To answer the original question, I think the only reason a Californian would move to Arkansas would be under false pretense. I can understand why native Arkansans would like it here because home is just home, no matter where you're from.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
Are there really a lot of Californians moving to AR? I am dying to meet them!!! I am a native Californian who moved here 2 years ago and am extremely lonely for home. I've worked so hard to find a place in my community, but Arkansas has proved much less than hospitable. I would love to meet other displaced Californians. To answer the original question, I think the only reason a Californian would move to Arkansas would be under false pretense. I can understand why native Arkansans would like it here because home is just home, no matter where you're from.
False pretenses? Oh, my...

Old 06-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Do you think HerMajesty lives in Arkansas, or just thinks she does. It may be a false pretense. Sometimes I think I live in Paraguay, but it is a false pretense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
False pretenses? Oh, my...

Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM

697 posts, read 1,775,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
I disagree entirely, I know dozens of people who have moved here for real reasons and love it. I've only been in NWA five years and have never had any trouble meeting new people or getting involved in things around town. It will vary from one part of the state to the other though, and city to city. Everywhere has its pros and cons, and some cities are less appealing than others. In my office, 3 of our 10 counselors moved here from California, so I know they're out there, at least in NWA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers