Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 AM

20 posts, read 65,331 times

Advertisements

Hi, we will be moving from UK to AR soon and are considering Fayetteville and Bentonville to live in.
Up until yesterday it was Fayetteville but now i think Bentonville may be better in terms of house prices and commute to work.
Now this is where i need your help(please) can you tell me about Bentonville schools,which neighbourhoods to avoid and so on.
Our main concern is schools,(elementry).
We are an asian muslim family,do you think we will be accepted in the area?
I look forward to any advice.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosti View Post
Hi, we will be moving from UK to AR soon and are considering Fayetteville and Bentonville to live in.
Up until yesterday it was Fayetteville but now i think Bentonville may be better in terms of house prices and commute to work.
Now this is where i need your help(please) can you tell me about Bentonville schools,which neighbourhoods to avoid and so on.
Our main concern is schools,(elementry).
We are an asian muslim family,do you think we will be accepted in the area?
I look forward to any advice.
Thanks
I remember you posting not long ago about Fayetteville and asking the same quesions. I don't know if anyone can completely answer your question about acceptance. Of course you will not find a huge influx of muslims anywhere in AR. I am sure you realize that. As for being accepting, my feeling has always been, people who want to be accpected and don't try to say apart from the mainstream usually have few problems. Moving from UK to AR is going to be an adjustment of course. I will tell you here in Bella Vista we have several doctors that are from India, my hairdresser is from Pakastan and we have friends that know couples in the area from the mid east. NWAR is more open than other parts of the state.. Good luck, I am sure someone will help you with the school situation.

Nita

Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
I remember when I went to school at the university there were a fair number of muslims both in school and living there permanently. I am not, however, aware of any central place of worship. Doesn't mean there isn't one but I don't know of it.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks guys for your help.
As we have children i dont want to leave anything to chance( hence the question again about acceptance),we can cope with racist attitudes but i would not like my children to go through that.
I am sure you can understand.
Thanks again.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:22 AM

Schools anyone?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:53 AM

11 posts, read 52,504 times
i don't have a first hand info but have heard that Bentonville school district is better than Rogers.

btw- there is a large south asian community here thanks to Wal-mart. You will get enough people to network with.

As pointed out, i too am unaware of any place of worship. There is only one indian restaurant

Old 07-25-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasman View Post
i don't have a first hand info but have heard that Bentonville school district is better than Rogers.

btw- there is a large south asian community here thanks to Wal-mart. You will get enough people to network with.

As pointed out, i too am unaware of any place of worship. There is only one indian restaurant
Thanks!
Whereabouts is the restaurant?
The place of worship is not important,so we don't mind.
Thanks again

Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 AM

529 posts, read 1,650,280 times
I can't speak for Bentonville but I know that the university in Fayetteville has a Muslim Student Association. You might contact them and find out what the area has to offer. As far as being accepted I thought this article was interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/06/us/06religion.html

I believe the indian restaurant they are talking about is in Rogers. I haven't been there yet. Habibi in Fayetteville has some indian cuisine on the menu but is more of a mix of mediterranean food.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
I can't speak for Bentonville but I know that the university in Fayetteville has a Muslim Student Association. You might contact them and find out what the area has to offer. As far as being accepted I thought this article was interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/06/us/06religion.html

I believe the indian restaurant they are talking about is in Rogers. I haven't been there yet. Habibi in Fayetteville has some indian cuisine on the menu but is more of a mix of mediterranean food.
Hi,thanks for the article,what a lovely story!
We shall have to visit those restaurants when we come to visit next month!
Thanks again

Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post

Good atachment on a good post.

That article should almost be required reading for the people wanting to know if they'll be accepted here or there.

The majority of acceptance issues that I have seen both from living here and from these posts over time, haven't been, "Will I be accepted?", but actually more "Can I accept my environment?".

People seeking a cosmopoliton <as such> lifestyle in NWA or Little Rock will find that it is there if they seek it. It doesn't fall in one's lap.

It doesn't take much exploration to find that we also have people dressed in cammo and workboots, pick-up trucks, excitement over a new chain saw, takin' Sunday off, huntin'-season-yearning kinda folks.

And that's just at *my* house alone!

Really.....it's a whole lot more diverse here than people give it credit for, and thankfully we have enough good folks on this board from the different areas that will speak up and let people know the lay of the land in their neighborhood.

I know a lot of folks here, but I don't know anybody that won't accept anybody that's come asking questions on these forums.

They make very intelligent, interesting conversation, and most of them will give you a run for your money on formal education.

However, ya gotta get past the cow droppings on their boots, and the wad of kodiak in their cheek, as they fill their truck pulling a trailer of hay, before they can rattle off the places you can get a *real* bagel & lox.

We don't bite, and that growl you *think* you hear is just us tryin' to hum a 'Merle' tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers