Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 PM

13 posts, read 98,104 times

Advertisements

I work for an organization that is currently looking to relocate - to either Fayetteville, AR or York, PA. I have been asked to move with the organization. Fayetteville was chosen for reasons such as diversity, low crime, low cost of living, good jobs and schools. I am a white woman married to a black man -- a dark skinned black man. We have 3 beautiful brown babies. My impression, after reading all the posts, is that Fayetteville is a great place for us or any minority for that matter. Am I getting the correct message? Fayetteville seems to be a very caring community with wonderful diversity and acceptance. How is the area for wheelchair accessibility?

This is an extremely serious decision for me. I come from a small
(29K pop.) college town in NE Ohio so diversity is an absolute must. Racial acceptance is a must. Low crime is also a must. So, I am asking for absolute honesty here -- I need the real story on Fayetteville. What is really going on there? Thank you so much for ANY feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 04:58 PM

27 posts, read 189,740 times
Fayetteville is one of the more progressive places in Arkansas. You should have very few problems. Even the places dubbed "racist" have been unfairly tagged, IMNSHO.

There is a lot of new construction in Northwest Arkansas, which means compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.....

You should fly down and check it out yourself. Bring your husband. It's sooo much easier for those of us who are not minorities to say racism isn't a problem, you know...? People from an area will almost always defend it and tell you how wonderful it is... and it is, to them.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2007, 07:45 PM

80 posts, read 367,492 times
Fayetteville has a mix of everything, from different races to foods you've never heard of before, they've got it here.

Although keep in mind it is more of a college town, so depending on were you rent/buy you might have some noisy neighbors.

The school systems are good, and you always have the choice of sending your children to Lowell, Springdale, Bentonville if needed.

I also agree it would be best for you and your family to come down for the day (or weekend) and tour Fayetteville AND Bentonville/Rodgers/Lowell/Springdale in case you want to live outside Fayetteville.

Best of Luck.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 PM

Thumbs up Thanks!!

Thank you both so much for your information -- I do plan to visit very soon.

Your responses confirmed what I already felt was true so, thank you.

By the way - CorpITGuy -- GREAT(!!) answer about the ADA - I love that knowledge in you! It is wonderful to see (the organization I am relocating with is an advocacy organization who's focuses is people with disabilities - especially those that live/work/train in rural areas)!

Old 02-10-2007, 10:17 AM

452 posts, read 1,640,086 times
Fayetteville in an incredibly diverse town and one of the most liberal towns n the Arkansas. You will do absolutely fine here!

Old 02-10-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Thanks!

GetmeoutofAR -- thanks for your response. Although your name does not show it -- I certainly appreciate your positive comments on the area. I am really excited about coming to visit and check things out!! I feel like my name should have been GetmeoutofOHIO!! This is our second straight week with temps below zero. It stinks!!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:23 PM

19 posts, read 55,483 times
Smile puckett

i dont think you will have a problem i have lived in fayetteville for two years now the only thing i can see with the problem is traffic, traffic traffic, traffic. I really like living here it has a homey atmosphere and is a really nice place. Unless you are driving the one thing I must say about fayetteville is PEOPLE when the light is green that means GGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOO it is kind of aggravating but besides that I love it here

Old 02-10-2007, 11:55 PM

26 posts, read 146,382 times
Hey ruralgirl,
I think you and your family could be very happy here. Also, very cool job you have. My Papa was in a wheelchair almost all of his adult life. He died in the early 80's, too soon to see alot (if any) progress towards making places accessible. Thanks to people like you, that gets better every day. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:09 PM

80 posts, read 367,492 times
Ruralgirl,

I forgot to mention that I can go pick up a home guide and mail it to you, so you can have some places in mind to look at when you visit.

Just let me know!

Best wishes,
- J

Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 PM

452 posts, read 1,640,086 times
I dont really like Arkansas in general, but Fayetteville is definitely the best place to live in this state if you decide to live here. Good luck with everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers