Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:29 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staciacrooks View Post
Good point RangerDuke. Albuquerque was much the same way as you describe Colorado. Very laid back, sometimes a little too much. But the crime, gangs, etc. there got so bad women were not going out at night to the grocery store, malls, etc. We had three female clients killed in a two month period of time just leaving stores, etc. and that is when we said "enough was enough." I would rather live with a few rude people around, than have to worry about going outside after dark!
Stacia I feel ya, that must've been awhile back though! Many Native Coloradans are moving to Wyoming and Montana today for refuge due to the influx of Californians transplants who bring their big money and big egos and the illegal population from the sunbelt who seek refuge in what has become a sanctuary state. And part of the reason I think is really that the good Rocky Mountain folks were too laid back and welcoming to the new population until it was too late. It is currently about 55% transplants where we have lost our voices to the new ideologies introduced to the state such as population growth/tourist traps/cookie cutter homes and eventually a need for higher taxes/more regulations/crime/gangs/etc. How is it like in NWA? When did you guys move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:36 PM

23 posts, read 70,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Stacia I feel ya, that must've been awhile back though! Many Native Coloradans are moving to Wyoming and Montana today for refuge due to the influx of Californians transplants who bring their big money and big egos and the illegal population from the sunbelt who seek refuge in what has become a sanctuary state. And part of the reason I think is really that the good Rocky Mountain folks were too laid back and welcoming to the new population until it was too late. It is currently about 55% transplants where we have lost our voices to the new ideologies introduced to the state such as population growth/tourist traps/cookie cutter homes and eventually a need for higher taxes/more regulations/crime/gangs/etc. How is it like in NWA? When did you guys move there?

Oh no, we have not moved yet. We are wanting to move back down there. Currently we live in N.E. Ohio right on Lake Erie about 40 miles east of Cleveland. We have been here since 1993. I moved away from Shreveport in 1986 to Albuquerque where my parents had moved to retire early. I then met and married my second husband there and he got transferred up here. With him being from Michigan, we jumped at the chance to get out of Albuquerque and move. The winters are killing me and even starting to get to him even though he grew up in it.

We would like to move next summer, but with the economy right now and a house to sell first, you never know.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
It is currently about 55% transplants where we have lost our voices to the new ideologies introduced to the state such as population growth/tourist traps/cookie cutter homes and eventually a need for higher taxes/more regulations/crime/gangs/etc. How is it like in NWA? When did you guys move there?
Sounds like NWA to me.

I was in Mentor, Ohio a few months ago and thought the area was very nice. Of course me being there for a few days is very different than living there. I could see the winters getting old.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
I don't like NWA but its not because of the people there. I don't like how the whole place is so cookie cutter and plastic. Reminds me a lot of Plano/Frisco but on a smaller scale. Of course Rogers is what I have in mind when I talk of NWA. I am sure some of the other municipalities have a totally different feel.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM

452 posts, read 1,639,839 times
Oooo.. My favorite subject has come up again. I've hashed and argued this subject many times on this board and don't really feel like doing it again because I get labeled as a pessimistic party-pooper. Simple facts there are rude and nice people everywhere..... People in NW Arkansas arent particularly nice.....They are about as nice as any affluent metro area though....There are many rude areas in this country. I didnt find people in new jersey to be particularly friendly either...doesnt mean I hate New Jersey or think everyone there is hateful.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajoh81 View Post
I have lived in NWA for 13 years (I am originally from central Arkansas)and I can say for the most part I have found a lot of the people here to be some of the rudest and most downright meanest people I have ever been around in my life. I hate attacking people, as it goes against my christian beliefs, but I just really can't take it anymore. If the economy was better I would consider moving somewhere else(I moved up here with my parents as I was 14 in 1995) so I feel like I am stuck here. I don't know if it is the people moving here from places like California, I would like to think that the people coming from places like that are moving here for a more laid bakc atmosphere, but they sure are not helping things.

If I don't remember wrong isn't that were KKK has it's HQ? Harrisson county or something like that? That might explain things.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
Sounds like NWA to me.

I was in Mentor, Ohio a few months ago and thought the area was very nice. Of course me being there for a few days is very different than living there. I could see the winters getting old.
Of course NWA is growning, that is a good thing, not bad and yes, many people are from other places, but unless you have lived in some of the other places you wouldn't understand the difference. Other than people being being transferred to Wal Mart, Hunt or Tysons, most of the people who move here do want the slower life, lack of conjestion, etc. It will be years before this becomes a problem. Why do most of us love it, the open forests, the mild weather, hot and humid but not like the south, cool winters, but not like the north and yes, downhome, friendly people...!!!

Now if we could just buy booze in Benton county this place would be close to perfect...

Redwine, Yes, it is headquartered in Harrison but when most of us talke about NWA we really are thinking more of Benton, Washington and a couple other counties, closer to MO and OK. What happens in Harrison has little to do with life here in NWA.

GetmeoutofAr , you have brought up your dislike for Ar so many times and yet you say you sell real estate here. That makes no sense....?????

Nita

Old 10-13-2008, 06:47 AM

23 posts, read 70,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
Sounds like NWA to me.

Mentor is about a 10 minute drive from my house. It is a nice place. It has grown a lot since we moved here in 1993. The winters up here are what get to you after a while. If you are not part eskimo, forget it!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Man, you certainly don't have a very good outlook on things do you???
I think he was just pointing out, you get what you put out. If you are anticipating that someone is going to be rude to you, or that people aren't so nice, you will always find that because that's what you're looking for, plus you put out a vibe that helps it along. People in Northwest Arkansas are the same as people in Vermont, or people in Minnesota, or people in California. Some are nice, some aren't. So if you move somewhere away from Arkansas, but take your attitude with you, you'll find that the "nice" place isn't as nice as you thought. The experiences around you are very much part of what you contribute.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think he was just pointing out, you get what you put out. If you are anticipating that someone is going to be rude to you, or that people aren't so nice, you will always find that because that's what you're looking for, plus you put out a vibe that helps it along. People in Northwest Arkansas are the same as people in Vermont, or people in Minnesota, or people in California. Some are nice, some aren't. So if you move somewhere away from Arkansas, but take your attitude with you, you'll find that the "nice" place isn't as nice as you thought. The experiences around you are very much part of what you contribute.
Maybe so, but I saw a pretty negative person in him, not only about AR but places overall. Actually people keep saying NWA isn't friendly because everyone is from somewhere else, I think that might be one reason they are friendly. They are saying "welcome" we were new like you a few years ago...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers