U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:13 PM

468 posts, read 1,098,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I always feel a need to comment when someone brings up the topic of the Duggar's. I know the Duggar's quite well, they are my husbands cousins. People have this idea of how they are and most of the time it is so far off base it isn't even funny.

No, the Duggar's do not live in Fayetteville, I won't disclose where they live because it is not my place. No, the Duggar's aren't pentecostal. Yes, the kids are very well behaved, well mannered and respectful. The kids are all home schooled, they take the required courses but Jim Bob and Michelle also teach the kids how to actually live in real life, ya know the stuff they don't teach you in school anymore (like cooking, cleaning, balancing a checkbook, living on a budget, taking care of children etc).

Yes, the Duggar's are old fashioned but what is wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with being old fashioned, but when you put your life on the telly for everyone to watch, comments and impressions will be made--good and bad. "Celebrity" has its price.

More power to them for following the Quiverful movement, I personally couldn't do it. But it is interesting for the family to be "old fashioned" yet, there are other large families in America--with more children--who don't get the exposure like the Duggars. Opportunistic is how it strikes me and not quite 'old fashioned'.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:42 PM

46 posts, read 77,393 times
Default nicely put Thechappells

I agree with you 100%. I have watched similar shows with just as many children and those people a barely making ends meet. Seems to me the Duggars leave out some unanswered questions. I believe they have had tons of help from his parents or a money tree in their backyard. Did you ever notice the cars and the tools inside the garage. Jim Bob says he does not let his kids watch TV, but they have their own TV show. How the heck do they afford health insurance? I know what mine costs. I realize the kids wear used clothes and they make their own soap etc., but I know lots of people like that with one or two kids and they can barely make it??

Old 12-16-2008, 07:41 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,904,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonni0827 View Post
I agree with you 100%. I have watched similar shows with just as many children and those people a barely making ends meet. Seems to me the Duggars leave out some unanswered questions. I believe they have had tons of help from his parents or a money tree in their backyard. Did you ever notice the cars and the tools inside the garage. Jim Bob says he does not let his kids watch TV, but they have their own TV show. How the heck do they afford health insurance? I know what mine costs. I realize the kids wear used clothes and they make their own soap etc., but I know lots of people like that with one or two kids and they can barely make it??

Jim Bob and Michelle have not left questions unanswered. They invested money wisely, buy cheap and have numerous commercial properties that they lease out. They own a real estate company, owned (sold now) a towing company, sold cars and bought and sold property that is how they make/made their money. They do not get help from his parents financially in fact it is just the opposite. Again as I said you cant really comment on something you really know nothing about.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 AM

468 posts, read 1,098,198 times
Quote:
Again as I said you cant really comment on something you really know nothing about.
no, people can't really comment, but do. i'm perplexed why you feel so compelled to be the family's spokeperson (besides being related to them via marriage). they seem perfectly at ease with the attention their shows have created, otherwise i really don't think they'd want their lives televised (much less the upcoming birth of the 18th child). comments are going to be made, good and bad. take a note from hollywood and-- i can't believe i'm about to type this--REAL celebrities: if you're not hurt just let it be and laugh if it off. the duggars seem to laughing all the way to the bank. . .and you can NOT tell me that they're not getting monetarily compensated for their telly time

Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 AM

456 posts, read 1,085,107 times
their trips/things/house everything has gotten better 4 them since they got their show on

Old 12-17-2008, 04:37 AM

3 posts, read 24,032 times
Quote:
Jim Bob and Michelle have not left questions unanswered. They invested money wisely, buy cheap and have numerous commercial properties that they lease out. They own a real estate company, owned (sold now) a towing company, sold cars and bought and sold property that is how they make/made their money. They do not get help from his parents financially in fact it is just the opposite. Again as I said you cant really comment on something you really know nothing about.
I appreciate your comments and for setting the record straight instead of letting comments remain untrue. I need to take lessons from them as far as not wasting money and also investing the way they did. I know people with 2 or 3 kids that don't try to spend any amount of time with their children so I admire the Duggars for spreading time around with their 17.
And it looks like Mr. Duggar invested wisely again!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM

3 posts, read 20,884 times
Quote:
Jim Bob and Michelle have not left questions unanswered.

Oh honey!, they most certainly have.
As embarrassing as this is they ARE in fact not only exploiting their children but c'mon, get real here, they have an "agent", i'm certain they are selling their stories, pictures, interviews and this new show of theirs. I could not help but notice that 2 of the older girls are sporting black eyeliner what happened to wholesomeness?, "make-up" is for worldly girls.... and know what gets me? as a fellow Christian, they are airing their show on a cable TV chanel that coincidentally also features gay/lesbian "familes" as well as other non-suitable programs! and you want to tell us they don't watch TV?, those boys aren't surfing the net (secretly as ALL kids/teens do).

it is sad that they are again, EXPLOITING all for the love of $$$$!
they don't EVER mention going to A church etc...

Again as I said you cant really comment on something you really know nothing about.
Perhaps it is YOU that does not know

Old 01-15-2009, 02:45 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,904,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisterialane View Post
Perhaps it is YOU that does not know
I'm pretty sure I do. I have spent the last 9 1/2 years around them.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:06 PM

296 posts, read 887,174 times
Default Are there really any "normal" families these days?

I know my family is conservative, but not normal. I admire any family that can be happy and together in these times. I admire a Dad that can be a leader or a spiritual leader in his family.....We enjoy watching the Duggers, even though my daugther and I only wear our skirts to church.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:51 PM

735 posts, read 506,679 times
"Washington-Madison County Drug Court" on cable access is an entertaining show.

Watching the judge tear into Chester after he stole the 2 packets of M&M's from the courthouse may have been the most entertaining television I've seen all month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers