Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 11:08 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
boy if that isn't true and like I said, I can't wait to hear the "rest of the story"

Nita
actually I just read more on the story: according to her mom, she has always been obsessed with having children and all are 14 are products of invetro (spelling) she has never been married and has no intentions of getting married. Two years ago she got the Bach degree from Cal State, Fullerton and is not working on her masters, but isn't working on supporting her kids. Her mom sounds like she is pissed to no end with daughter...

Nita

Old 01-31-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
My great-grandfathers had 30 children between them. There is nothing wrong with a large family if that is what you want. Why you want a large family is not the business of anyone except the parents. It is not unusal in large families for the older children to help the younger children and do housework. It builds character, teaches responsibiity and creates great babysitters.

A long time ago I was talking to a friend who was one of twelve children. Tney were never sick. Why, I asked. The house has 7 bedrooms. Every weekend of the year from Saturday morning until Sunday night every room in the house was cleaned from ceiling to walls to floors. Rugs went out on the line to be beatten. Curtains were wasned as was all the bedding in every room. so were furniture covers, towels. If was used that week, it was wshed that week. And they did laundry every day. It made me tired to think abou it. Every kid old enough to walk had a chore whether it was to pick up toys or feed a baby.. Tne children were well adjusted adults with no psychosis or illusions about marriage and raising babies. And most of them had large families.
you are right, it isn't our business but we do have a right to our opinions and being able to raise 18 kids or more, provide them with the attention they need and be relatively sure they will all, or most turn out to be well adjusted, in my opinion is next to impossible. Then to sell your story over and over is making money off your choice. That is why this entire thread started. How many your grandfathers had is very different than today...

Nita

Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
explain what Sarah Palin and Rush have to do with the Duggers having 18 kids??? I don't see any connection except for they are all conservatives..
Exactly.

There are important ideas in the conservative philosophy, but it is difficult for mainstream culture to respect the individuals who currently represent those ideas in the public eye.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:23 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,655,590 times
Quote:
My great-grandfathers had 30 children between them. There is nothing wrong with a large family if that is what you want.Why you want a large family is not the business of anyone except the parents.
Your great-grandfathers lived in a different era when it seemed the earth was an endless bounty that could never possibly be exhausted. Forests were ravaged for timber because there was always more. Toxins were just dumped in rivers or spewed out of smoke stacks barely high enough to clear the local town - all just to send them somewhere else so it wouldn't be their problem anymore; it would be someone else's.

Now, there is no where else. Billions more people live on the planet. It is all of our responsibility to be concerned about the motivations of why people have large families. The days of doing whatever we want are past. Statistic suggest it would currently take 6 planet earths for the 6.5 billion inhabitants of our planet to live the conventional American lifestyle.

The basic litmus test one must ask is: if everybody did X (whatever it is), would we be able to survive? Our planet would collapse if everyone chose to have 18 children. It must be a grave concern for all who value and cherish life.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:02 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
What, really, is the difference between binge drinking, binge partying, and binge procreation? They are all rooted in the same misguided psycholgical place - a little is good, so a lot must be better. .].
True statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Setting a desire for 20 kids is not love, it's a scoreboard.].
I agree. I'm wondering if their children are beginning to feel like they are part of a "collection"?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,166,513 times
Everyone is entitled to there own opinions and beliefs. The Duggar family has chosen a road that is not "main stream" but for them it works. The Duggars are a normal family, the major differences are they have very conservative values and they have chosen to have a lot of kids. The Duggars and their children associate with large families as well as "normal size families" so they are much more aware of the world than what you think. Yes Jim Bob and Michelle have there children help around the house, and with the other children, because it is teaching them how to actually live and function when they get out of the house. Unlike many kids today they will be able to run a home, finaces, and raise children instead of getting out into the real world and having no clue. If you ask me that is a pretty good lesson that many do not know today.

I spent quite of bit of time with the Duggar family the last 2 weeks, thanks to the wonderful ice strom we had here. They had a tree that knocked their meter of the pole, and my husband fixed it (he is an Electrician). They were out of power until late last night. Im sure it will be on their upcoming shows.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:37 PM

993 posts, read 2,280,997 times
Will we see you Sherrene?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,166,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
Will we see you Sherrene?
Nope you wont see me (Im smart enough to stay away from the camera guy haha) but you will see my hubby working on their electric and in the wonderful new look the Duggar girls (his cousins) gave him. You'll just have to watch the show to see what I am refering too, lets just say it will be quite amusing.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Everyone is entitled to there own opinions and beliefs. The Duggar family has chosen a road that is not "main stream" but for them it works. The Duggars are a normal family, the major differences are they have very conservative values and they have chosen to have a lot of kids. The Duggars and their children associate with large families as well as "normal size families" so they are much more aware of the world than what you think. Yes Jim Bob and Michelle have there children help around the house, and with the other children, because it is teaching them how to actually live and function when they get out of the house. Unlike many kids today they will be able to run a home, finaces, and raise children instead of getting out into the real world and having no clue. If you ask me that is a pretty good lesson that many do not know today.

I spent quite of bit of time with the Duggar family the last 2 weeks, thanks to the wonderful ice strom we had here. They had a tree that knocked their meter of the pole, and my husband fixed it (he is an Electrician). They were out of power until late last night. Im sure it will be on their upcoming shows.
How can you keep saying "the Duggers are a normal family" they may be a good family, may be strong Christians but they are not a normal family..

As for going into the real world, I am not sure they will be able to cope, but that remains to be seen, I hope I am wrong..
Nita

Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 PM

993 posts, read 2,280,997 times
I'm looking forward to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers