U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM

6 posts, read 23,795 times
Default Fun, cheap things to do in northwest Arkansas?

I have to live with my mother in Bella Vista for the time being and feel really stifled. I feel I've done everything there already. What's there to do?

Just a note: I'm disabled, so anything that requires a walk is out of question. I can't drink because it'll react badly with my pills; I find drunk people to be very rude about my condition, anyway. I'm also 21, so it has to be something to do with young people, if possible. Are there any cool museums in the state I could drive to for the weekend? I'm studying to be a designer and would love to see a good art museum (a museum dedicated solely to American art doesn't count - seems too closed-minded) or a good music scene. I'm from a city and lived in a few different ones in my life, so small town living makes me want to bash my head in.

I've found Eureka Springs and the downtowns of Bentonville, Rogers, and Fayetteville to be fun, but they require more walking than I'm able to do. The parks are nice, but like I said, I can't walk far enough to enjoy them. (To put the amount of walking I can do into perspective, I went to Devil's Den once and was able to walk from the playground area to the waterfall - less than 100 ft.)

I like the community centers Bella Vista has, but I can't enjoy them due to my disability and, frankly, there are too many old people and small children there for me to enjoy any of it.

I've tried restaurants, but all of them seem so boring and alike. Are there any good, local ones? Nothing too country, please; War Eagle is a nice area and the mill is pretty interesting, but the (somewhat fake) country atmosphere seems backwards to my mind. (Stereotype, I know, but it makes me uncomfortable because my father was Hispanic and, every time we'd go to places like that, people would just *stare* at us. It was like they felt he was intruding on their privacy or something.)

Long story short, I really need something to do. I own property in Dallas but, until I'm able to fix my body and get some sort of income, I can't live there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 AM

7,947 posts, read 9,028,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoNicoNico View Post
I have to live with my mother in Bella Vista for the time being and feel really stifled. I feel I've done everything there already. What's there to do?

Just a note: I'm disabled, so anything that requires a walk is out of question. I can't drink because it'll react badly with my pills; I find drunk people to be very rude about my condition, anyway. I'm also 21, so it has to be something to do with young people, if possible. Are there any cool museums in the state I could drive to for the weekend? I'm studying to be a designer and would love to see a good art museum (a museum dedicated solely to American art doesn't count - seems too closed-minded) or a good music scene. I'm from a city and lived in a few different ones in my life, so small town living makes me want to bash my head in.

I've found Eureka Springs and the downtowns of Bentonville, Rogers, and Fayetteville to be fun, but they require more walking than I'm able to do. The parks are nice, but like I said, I can't walk far enough to enjoy them. (To put the amount of walking I can do into perspective, I went to Devil's Den once and was able to walk from the playground area to the waterfall - less than 100 ft.)

I like the community centers Bella Vista has, but I can't enjoy them due to my disability and, frankly, there are too many old people and small children there for me to enjoy any of it.

I've tried restaurants, but all of them seem so boring and alike. Are there any good, local ones? Nothing too country, please; War Eagle is a nice area and the mill is pretty interesting, but the (somewhat fake) country atmosphere seems backwards to my mind. (Stereotype, I know, but it makes me uncomfortable because my father was Hispanic and, every time we'd go to places like that, people would just *stare* at us. It was like they felt he was intruding on their privacy or something.)

Long story short, I really need something to do. I own property in Dallas but, until I'm able to fix my body and get some sort of income, I can't live there.
I am sorry about your disability. I could possibly have cervical spondylosis and while I am still fully-functioning now, if it gets really bad I could be in a wheelchair well before my time, so I can relate.

As for things to do, I live in Little Rock and I am here to tell you Arkansas can be rough for young people seeking cultural amenities. There really isn't a lot of "nightlife", outside of things like chain restaurants and bars which I will agree with you do get pretty boring and the same after a while. Fayetteville (Dickson Street) is probably the best nightlife in the state. Most of the "things to do" around here are outdoors stuff, and with your disability that can be a problem. Your best bet would be to go to Kansas City, Tulsa, St. Louis, or Memphis on the weekend as those places all have a lot more to offer in terms of cultural amenities.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 PM

28,461 posts, read 10,945,146 times
Nico, what kind of things did you enjoy in Dallas before moving here?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:43 PM

77 posts, read 148,637 times
Quote:

Unfortunately here in NWA and, to be frank, most of the south your only entertainment options are killing brain cells, and they are damn proud of it, Jesus, or outdoor recreation, in that order. So I understand your boredom with this state, being 21 and having just gone through winter, not subscribing to any faith and I prefer not to take drugs.

Now most of my time consumption revolves around my 2 year old and my education. But I have been looking for opportunities like you seek, as I said over the winter, and have found this area lacking severely.

That being said I plan to go back to my native NYC, or any walkable city for that matter, and incur the greater costs because the community is so much more inclusive and better than NWA. I really do not want my son, when he is going into the bored and curious age to turn to drugs (mainly alcohol here) to cure the pain of idleness.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:18 PM

2,372 posts, read 5,021,476 times
Some are just too lazy to be capable of finding entertainment in life unless its spoon fed to them.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:25 PM

163 posts, read 390,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Some are just too lazy to be capable of finding entertainment in life unless its spoon fed to them.
I find this comment to be out of order, especially from someone who is generally very helpful on this forum. Please bear in mind that the OP has a disability.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM

2,372 posts, read 5,021,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
I find this comment to be out of order, especially from someone who is generally very helpful on this forum. Please bear in mind that the OP has a disability.
Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to the OP.

In the grand scheme of things, I will totally concede it was a useless post to the OP's desire to find something to do.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 AM

48,391 posts, read 39,397,407 times
I don't know that anyone can suggest something for you to do, it seems no matter what would work you have already ruled out..What do you like to do and what things are you thinking would keep you busy?

I do have a couple of suggestions: 1-donate some time to charity. You can meet others, make friends and do somthing constructive.. Spend time at the varies libraries, there are some good ones in NWA.

YOu state you owned a home in Dallas, wow that is quite an accomplishment for someone who is only 21..Good for you..

It was interesting your comment about Hispanics, there are so many in NWA now most of us don't even think twice about them when we see a family, even if they are speaking Spanish..

You made a comment about too many older people, have you taken time to engage in converstations with people much older than you? They can be very interesting, entertaining and knowledgable. Give this a try as well.

Nita

Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,399,608 times
Quote:
Just a note: I'm disabled, so anything that requires a walk is out of question. .
Have you thought about getting a motorized chair or scooter? There are a few trails that are handicapped accessible, I think. I feel for you, not being able to walk far, as I was in the same condition a couple of years ago from plantar fasciitis, and it was miserable. I don't know what I would do if I could no longer get out in the woods and enjoy nature!

And I'm with Nita about talking with elderly people....it can be very entertaining and interesting if you find the right one!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,399,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I understood who and what you meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers