U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,491 times

Advertisements

I grew up vacationing in Cherokee Village, AR at my Grandparents Cabin, that my Grandfather built. My parents, now live in Hot Springs Village, AR. We all are originally from Illinois, small rural communities, but have lived & worked in larger cities as well.
My question is: would the communities of NWA welcome an "outsider" moving into their area, who is a self employed Carpenter? We have always loved the area, but my husband is afraid that being an outsider, he might have a hard time finding work. He's very good at what he does, honest to a fault, and will never be a rich man (because, he'll never charge what his skills are really worth), but, he will always be able to take pride in his work.
Our other question is regarding the schools & athletic departments. We have heard that they both are excellent. We just have 1 son, still at home. He's 14 & plays travel & legion Baseball, Basketball, and his favorite - Football! He's attended an NFL Football camp for the past 5 Summers, where he was awarded - Best Lineback & Best Tightend. This year, he'll be playing Quarterback & Lineback. Would he be welcomed into the sports programs, or have we waited too late to relocate, for him to be accepted? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM

1,466 posts, read 2,553,320 times
NWA will welcome outsiders, because the Wal-Mart effect brings in tons of them. On the other hand, your husband might have issues with being a carpenter if he is running his own business. There are tons of things being built in NWA all the time (although they overbuilt on housing before the bubble burst), but there is also a deep rooted goo ol' boy system in place too.

If he just want to work for a local company, the only issues will be competing with the hispanics and what they are willing to accept for wages, and he will probably also need to be able to speak spanish. I don't think I have ever seen a construction site in NWA that wasn't at least 50% hispanic.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:59 AM

571 posts, read 1,014,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle1960 View Post
I grew up vacationing in Cherokee Village, AR at my Grandparents Cabin, that my Grandfather built. My parents, now live in Hot Springs Village, AR. We all are originally from Illinois, small rural communities, but have lived & worked in larger cities as well.
My question is: would the communities of NWA welcome an "outsider" moving into their area, who is a self employed Carpenter? We have always loved the area, but my husband is afraid that being an outsider, he might have a hard time finding work. He's very good at what he does, honest to a fault, and will never be a rich man (because, he'll never charge what his skills are really worth), but, he will always be able to take pride in his work.
Our other question is regarding the schools & athletic departments. We have heard that they both are excellent. We just have 1 son, still at home. He's 14 & plays travel & legion Baseball, Basketball, and his favorite - Football! He's attended an NFL Football camp for the past 5 Summers, where he was awarded - Best Lineback & Best Tightend. This year, he'll be playing Quarterback & Lineback. Would he be welcomed into the sports programs, or have we waited too late to relocate, for him to be accepted? Thank you.
Why don't you think about the Cherokee Village area? It seems like something is always being built or someone needs a handy man. As far a being a outsider most everyone here is not from the area. And we are not full of Hispanic screwing everything up, And taking jobs a way from Americans.. Yet.
I should add, Football as a big thing here, Highland high school has a good team. I am sure they would welcome a new player.

Last edited by adysmom; 08-04-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM

197 posts, read 429,969 times
As others have stated, NWA is pretty much full of "outsiders" due to Walmart being located there, and all of their suppliers (domestic and international) having offices there.

Schools in NWA are great both for academics and athletics. It should not be too late to get your son involved with the football teams. Official practices are just now starting for high schools across the state. However, football has become pretty much a year-round thing in Arkansas with 7-on-7 competitions during the summer.

As for carpentry, my only concern would be what appears to be an "over-built" situation for NWA. Due to the economoy, there appears to be a glut of homes, restaurant and retail space in the area, so competition for carpentry jobs may be tough. I haven't been up there recently, so the market may have changed. It is something that bears looking into, IMHO.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 PM

1,653 posts, read 3,086,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinerBock View Post
As for carpentry, my only concern would be what appears to be an "over-built" situation for NWA. Due to the economoy, there appears to be a glut of homes, restaurant and retail space in the area, so competition for carpentry jobs may be tough. I haven't been up there recently, so the market may have changed. It is something that bears looking into, IMHO.
Absolutely on the money.

I was listening to a report on the radio a few days ago referencing the economic health of AR and at one point it specifically addressed NWA being "overbuilt".

The report stated that NWA would be later than most to pull out of the housing slump because of that.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,553,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Absolutely on the money.

I was listening to a report on the radio a few days ago referencing the economic health of AR and at one point it specifically addressed NWA being "overbuilt".

The report stated that NWA would be later than most to pull out of the housing slump because of that.
But if you want to buy a house, NWA is a great place to get a really really cheap house that is brand new right now.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,519,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
Why don't you think about the Cherokee Village area? It seems like something is always being built or someone needs a handy man. As far a being a outsider most everyone here is not from the area. And we are not full of Hispanic screwing everything up, And taking jobs a way from Americans.. Yet.
I should add, Football as a big thing here, Highland high school has a good team. I am sure they would welcome a new player.
Seems most retirement magazines I read, when residents of a retirement community list drawbacks, they mention the lack of a handyman-------(whether carpenter,electrician, or plumber)

Also, it seems a high percent of houses in Cherokee Village are about 35+ years old and some haven't had major updating or will be needing regular updates.

Just an obervation---( I could be totally wrong and would appreciate someone telling me if I am )

Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM

1,653 posts, read 3,086,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Just an obervation---( I could be totally wrong and would appreciate someone telling me if I am )
No...you're right. There is much discussion at times among the residents about, "Who can I call for this?"

Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM

571 posts, read 1,014,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Seems most retirement magazines I read, when residents of a retirement community list drawbacks, they mention the lack of a handyman-------(whether carpenter,electrician, or plumber)

Also, it seems a high percent of houses in Cherokee Village are about 35+ years old and some haven't had major updating or will be needing regular updates.

Lots of older homes in Cherokee Village and the area, but allot of new ones to. And we also have handymen. I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking there is lots of work here, I don't know.
I have always said, Take a vacation for about a month rent a house in Cherokee village and check all this out.
C.V. has a web site with good Information and links to real estate offices that rent short term homes for vacations... Come on back and have fun..

Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM

41 posts, read 101,237 times
Default IF CV won't work

The basic combination you offer - a good football player and a good honest carpenter- will almost assure you of a warm welcome in South Arkansas. If CV does not feel right you head on south.
Just google Magnolia, AR for our city and Chamber of Commerce web sites to check out some options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers