U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:23 PM

141 posts, read 202,052 times
Question Metal detecting in Northwest Arkansas

Does anyone know of any places in Northwest Arkansas that allows metal detecting? I live about 20 minutes from Fort Smith on the Oklahoma side. Arkansas has some beautiful hiking trails but I would like to go somewhere where I won't fear getting ticketed. I know the metal detecting laws are somewhat more lax in Oklahoma, so I want to be legal so I can enjoy myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM

10,782 posts, read 14,516,391 times
I do not know the answer. I can't perceive any area that would be out of bounds as long as it is public. In any case you certainly cannot go on private land without the owners permission, or on any area where no trespassing signs are posted. I would call the state capitol. My governor's office will transfer me to the agency that can answer my question.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 PM

14,795 posts, read 17,229,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I do not know the answer. I can't perceive any area that would be out of bounds as long as it is public. In any case you certainly cannot go on private land without the owners permission, or on any area where no trespassing signs are posted. I would call the state capitol. My governor's office will transfer me to the agency that can answer my question.
Public land? We tried to metal detect in a park in Durango, Colorado and the cops came around and told us it was against the law to metal detect on public land.

go figure

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 AM

1,633 posts, read 2,979,083 times
Good luck on that.

I do metal detecting, and have a large network of people that let me walk their land.

99.9% of what I've found is old nails, barb wire, ancient cartridge cases, and old pop-top rings.

Old structure sites add hinges.

Better luck at a park getting old change.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 PM

2,459 posts, read 3,409,219 times
State and Federal land is a serious No-No! Private land with permission. City parks may be O.K. but State and Federal Parks will cause you to loose your equipment and in extreme cases loose your vehicle. Been there done that for about 30 years.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:02 PM

838 posts, read 1,358,125 times
I had no idea!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:23 PM

141 posts, read 202,052 times
Thanks for the info. I too have a large network of people who allow me on private property. In Oklahoma, Federal, state and county government lands are off limits. I always come across regulations that aren't exactly verbatum so they have catch 22's. That's why I was asking. Thanks everyone.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,312 times
A friend and I have just started out an we're walking along the For smith historic site and learning how our detectors work and placed the tip of the shovel in the ground well we were stopped and now are being investigated we were searched vehicle and person and took nothing and weren't going to dig bc I thought at minimum it would be bad if caught there are no signs that say u can't metal detect and the police officer said he didn't know that u could not detect there either he let us go but the parks man to investigate told him to seize our shoes and equipment and now I'm to understand he's going to investigate "our crime" and it's a highly punishable federal felony does anyone know of similar cases or of any advice like should we lawyer up?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,140 times
Sorry to hear about what happen Ahkinsman. If you can't metal detect along the Fort Smith Historic Site. Does anyone know if you can metal detect along the river and places between Fort Smith Historic Site and the river?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,140 times
Sorry to hear about what happen Ahkinsman. If you can't metal detect along the Fort Smith Historic Site. Does anyone know if you can metal detect along the river and places between the Fort Smith Historic Site and the river?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers