U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:10 PM

12,439 posts, read 5,781,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I do not agree. There are lots of good snakes, that are very beneficial, and totally harmless. I prefer them to most of the dogs that people worship!!! They do not bark at you, or chase your car. Your children are safe with the non poisonous ones, which is more than can be said about many dogs.
I think it is true that more people are bitten by dogs than by snakes, and certainly more people are killed by dogs than snakes. However, I don't have to worry about stepping on a dog and getting bit. I can usually see them coming. My dog kills snakes. Good Dog.

I worry about him. He has killed several moccasins. One about 4 ft. long. He grabs them by their tales and throws them and then as they try to get away he bites them in half...it is something to see. Good dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 04:41 PM

50,074 posts, read 42,457,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think it is true that more people are bitten by dogs than by snakes, and certainly more people are killed by dogs than snakes. However, I don't have to worry about stepping on a dog and getting bit. I can usually see them coming. My dog kills snakes. Good Dog.

I worry about him. He has killed several moccasins. One about 4 ft. long. He grabs them by their tales and throws them and then as they try to get away he bites them in half...it is something to see. Good dog.
our dog wouldn't be smart enough to kill a snake, he might bark at it, but I am not sure about that. Of course the other day he stood by the patio door barking his head off; what was he barking at? A butterfly of course..

Old 09-14-2009, 05:53 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,543,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
our dog wouldn't be smart enough to kill a snake, he might bark at it, but I am not sure about that. Of course the other day he stood by the patio door barking his head off; what was he barking at? A butterfly of course..
That sounds like my cocker spaniels.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,735,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think the snakes prefer the hotter temperatures. there are no snakes in Maine and Alaska.

You haven't seen them snow snakes in Alaska have ya?

They are snow white and during the coldest nights of the year they will crawl up you rear and freeze you to death if you don't watch it. lol

At least that's what my dad use to tell me.

busta

Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM

233 posts, read 622,974 times
Quote:
Your children are safe with the non poisonous ones,
Guess you didnt hear about the girl that died in July from a burmese python? ..Down in Florida, in her house over night... Not good.

Granted its more common to come across one in FL with the python issue they are having but still a snakes a snake.. its a wild animal.. born to eat whatever it can.. bite whatever it can.. Survival of the fitest..

My son got his first lesson when he was 4 yo when he grabbed a small garter snake here in MI and it bite him and actually tore a small hole in his hand from it.. Poisonous or not.. anything with teeth hurts like hell when it bites you and a big snake can certainly hurt a small child.

I hope (when we find our little piece of the AR dream) that we can find a way to keep the snakes out of our yard/play area.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:16 PM

485 posts, read 1,032,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
Guess you didnt hear about the girl that died in July from a burmese python? ..Down in Florida, in her house over night... Not good.

Granted its more common to come across one in FL with the python issue they are having but still a snakes a snake.. its a wild animal.. born to eat whatever it can.. bite whatever it can.. Survival of the fitest..

My son got his first lesson when he was 4 yo when he grabbed a small garter snake here in MI and it bite him and actually tore a small hole in his hand from it.. Poisonous or not.. anything with teeth hurts like hell when it bites you and a big snake can certainly hurt a small child.

I hope (when we find our little piece of the AR dream) that we can find a way to keep the snakes out of our yard/play area.
I agree! A snake is a snake to me, and a dead one is the best kind!

As far as keeping the snakes away... we have found keeping your yard mowed and clear of junk goes a log way in keeping any type of pest under control, including snakes. There are a few products out that you can sprinkle on your yard that say they keep the snakes away, but I have never tried any. My grandmother always used mothballs, and it seemed to do the trick... but I wouldn't swear by it.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 PM

3,981 posts, read 5,397,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post

We do not have pythons in Arkansas unless some odd ball brings them in as house pets!! And this thread is about snakes in Arkansas, not in Florida.
If a child grabs a knife it can hurt too, but it isn't the knife's fault, it is the parent's that did not teach the child respect for things. I am pretty sure your son's experience is a very rare one.
If he grabs a cat or a dog he can get bit by them also...so, do we eliminate all pets also???

Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
I agree! A snake is a snake to me, and a dead one is the best kind!

As far as keeping the snakes away... we have found keeping your yard mowed and clear of junk goes a log way in keeping any type of pest under control, including snakes. There are a few products out that you can sprinkle on your yard that say they keep the snakes away, but I have never tried any. My grandmother always used mothballs, and it seemed to do the trick... but I wouldn't swear by it.
Mothballs can be much more dangerous to a child than a non poisonous snake!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:51 PM

233 posts, read 622,974 times
Quote:
I do not agree. There are lots of good snakes, that are very beneficial, and totally harmless. I prefer them to most of the dogs that people worship!!! They do not bark at you, or chase your car. Your children are safe with the non poisonous ones, which is more than can be said about many dogs.
Quote:
We do not have pythons in Arkansas unless some odd ball brings them in as house pets!! And this thread is about snakes in Arkansas, not in Florida.
If a child grabs a knife it can hurt too, but it isn't the knife's fault, it is the parent's that did not teach the child respect for things. I am pretty sure your son's experience is a very rare one.
If he grabs a cat or a dog he can get bit by them also...so, do we eliminate all pets also???
My first reply was to someone saying that nonvenomous snakes were safe to children... I was clearly making a point that they are not all safe just because they dont have venom.. (point taken about the little girl who died in FL, but might be more common there with their issue then in AR) I never said you had pythons in AR.. but I am stating that all snakes "can" be hurtful.

Any animal in the home can have benefits and consequences.. Wild animals especially! Something people should think about more when considering a pet.

BTW I have taught my son about respect.. but you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink...

Old 09-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Just for the record, I do not have, and have never had, wild animals as pets! None of the wild animals on our wooded Ozark acres are pets.

I certainly know what you mean about leading a horse to water. I raised one son, and have three teenage granddaughters. We also took in three teenage foster daughters at differant times, briefly. That was over 35 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers