Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:34 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Here is a photo of a Copperhead, see how easy it would be to step on one if your not watching where you're walking.
Copperheads are not as poisonous as rattle snakes. Most adults can survive a bite by one of them. Still...I don't want to be bitten by one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:10 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
We have 2 free spirited young boys who love our safe garter snakes of Michigan.. I'm am VERY worried what trouble they could get in when we relocate down there.
OH....!!

I didn't know Michigan was *the* state that didn't allow poisinous snakes!

Y'all ban the Eastern massasauga these days?

DNR - Michigan's Snakes

"Run away massasugas...you are desired no more".

Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Bit View Post
Some reading on snakes in Arkansas...

Snakes

Herps of Arkansas: HomePage

We found 2 baby Copperheads while we were out on the property doing the clearing. As we prepared to deal with them, our neice pipes up with, "but they're only babies!".

Dawn
sounds like our granddaughter the other night. She said about the same, I feel so sorry for them, they are only babies. Then she preceeds to tell us last night (she is a brand new registered nurse) that working in cardiac care is really fun and can be exciting cause some of the patients are in cardiac failure which leads to other organ failures. I reminded her, just 2 days ago she felt sorry for the poor little snake. Of course she didn't mean she was glad to see the patients suffering but that isn't the way it sounded.

What she meant was, it was boring to work in the cardiac unit.

Oh Rainrooster, his tail was yellow, I could see that much, I just didn't want to see him any closer.

Nita

Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
OH....!!

DNR - Michigan's Snakes

They have one and we have six. If you are afraid of snakes, you would probably be better off staying. I believe as a rule the South Western States (Arkansas Included) have the most snakes. I think the snakes prefer the hotter temperatures. there are no snakes in Maine and Alaska.

I think that about your only chance of getting bitten by a copperhead is to step on them. They generally will try to stay away from you. They are not aggressive and their venom is not that strong. Now water moccasins on the other hand are aggressive. I hate those snakes and they are a lot more venomous than the copperhead. They can ruin a day at the lake, but you are a lot more likely to find them at a pond or near a small stream or creek.

I burned down an old barn because it was infested with Rattle Snakes underneath it.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 AM

278 posts, read 1,001,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
OH....!!

DNR - Michigan's Snakes

LOL.. I didnt say there weren't any poisonous snakes in MI, did I?.. Its funny reading different posts here and there and how quickly someone will assume or how quickly someone will put words in your mouth

I have lived in MI my whole life. Lived up north in the woods.. nearest city was over 40 miles away.. NEVER saw a rattler. NOT ONCE! We do have them but they are rare. My son is studing to be a herpatologist.. So he is busy catching snakes all summer long here.. So yeah I am afraid of the 6 poisonous ones down there... but never the less.. We are still hoping to live there

Old 09-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
LOL.. I didnt say there weren't any poisonous snakes in MI, did I?.. Its funny reading different posts here and there and how quickly someone will assume or how quickly someone will put words in your mouth

I have lived in MI my whole life. Lived up north in the woods.. nearest city was over 40 miles away.. NEVER saw a rattler. NOT ONCE! We do have them but they are rare. My son is studing to be a herpatologist.. So he is busy catching snakes all summer long here.. So yeah I am afraid of the 6 poisonous ones down there... but never the less.. We are still hoping to live there
and we hope you do move down here. We have lots of people living here from the upper mid west and the great lakes states, they all have survived the snake population.

BTW, I am scared to death of all snakes.

Nita

Old 09-13-2009, 03:53 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
Mothballs. Snakes hate mothballs. Sprinkle your yard with them.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:11 PM

278 posts, read 1,001,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Mothballs. Snakes hate mothballs. Sprinkle your yard with them.
Interesting.. I'd be willing to try anything to protect my little ones

Reminds me of grandmas house..lol.. Or living up north.. EVERYONE has them all over their house but I never saw any moths either..lol

Old 09-13-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Interesting.. I'd be willing to try anything to protect my little ones

Reminds me of grandmas house..lol.. Or living up north.. EVERYONE has them all over their house but I never saw any moths either..lol
Next year I will try the moth balls as I have heard they may keep the Armadillos away as well. It certainly is a cheap way to protect the yard.

Let me add one more thing, as scary as this seems, you might go 100 years without seeing a snake. I wouldn't let it really worry me, plus they really do not like people so try and stay away from us as much as possible.

Nita

Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Wink snakes lizards bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Why? If it had this, would it not be a copperhead? I tried to find a good picture of a copperhead's tail but couldn't.

"The young have bright yellow tail tips that they wiggle to attract prey such as frogs and lizards...copperhead venom is not very potent and deaths from copperhead bites are exceedingly rare... Most snake bites occur when someone tries to kill or harass a snake, so the best way to avoid a bite is to leave any snake you find alone. "

quoted from:
Copperhead

They're talking about the copperheads in Georgia & SC... so I hope it's the same version of copperheads as in your area...

Maybe the cat dragged it in? When we lived in Murrieta (CA) our cats used to bring in lizards... so I'd occassionally find one after I took the clothes out of the dryer... ick. Cooked lizard. No snakes, although the original owner warned me that could happen.

We also got some baby rabbits in the garage one day, thanks to kitties. Had to lock up the cats for a couple of weeks cuz they just kept bringing in the nest buddies. We figured after a couple of weeks, the other nest buddies nearby would be big enough to run faster.

Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers