U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-27-2009, 02:04 PM

3,428 posts, read 4,461,158 times

Advertisements

I have a colleague who worked for Wal-Mart. She loved her job - but as a single professional - after a few years tired of the area. She had to drive to Tulsa for the closest Macys. However, many large corp are located in isolated areas - you make the best of it if career wise its the best move. For me - I would go to a large city first and make my way back to a smaller town after a few years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 02:09 PM

49,539 posts, read 41,487,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I have a colleague who worked for Wal-Mart. She loved her job - but as a single professional - after a few years tired of the area. She had to drive to Tulsa for the closest Macys. However, many large corp are located in isolated areas - you make the best of it if career wise its the best move. For me - I would go to a large city first and make my way back to a smaller town after a few years.
wow, she didn't like Fayetteville or NWA because they didn't have Macy's? Holy Cow!!

Couldn't she shop at Dillards or one of the other major stores here? Maybe this was before the new malls went in...How many years ago was this?

Nita

Old 09-28-2009, 07:05 AM

3,428 posts, read 4,461,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, she didn't like Fayetteville or NWA because they didn't have Macy's? Holy Cow!!

Couldn't she shop at Dillards or one of the other major stores here? Maybe this was before the new malls went in...How many years ago was this?

Nita
It was a few years back. About 3-4, I think. I was considering relocating to the area and she spoke highly of it, but she did note the 'cons' for young singles.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 AM

49,539 posts, read 41,487,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
It was a few years back. About 3-4, I think. I was considering relocating to the area and she spoke highly of it, but she did note the 'cons' for young singles.
Of course everywhere has cons, but the Macy thing just struck me as a little funny. Now we have a mall with Dillards plus a nice Fayetteville mall. My honest opinion: huge chain dept stores are on their way out anyway. People are leaning toward small, independant stores, mid sized chains and the internet more all the time. Visit any inside mall, anymore, even during the holiday season and you will find them not nearly as busy as in years past. I actually know of a couple that have gone out of business. One in Ca and one in NM. Our habits and way of life change throughout the years. The same seems to be happening with large chain grocery stores. That is why you see fewer and fewer news ones popping up. The trend is toward bulk warehouse shopping, specialty stores like T. Joes and Whole Foods plus places like Aldis. There will always be the need for small grocery stores but not the huge mega ones.

This is just my opinion. I cetainly have been wrong before..
Nita

Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 PM

4,043 posts, read 5,339,220 times
I used to work for Tyson Foods and I really enjoyed it a lot. They really care about the people who work for them. And I loved Fayetteville, at first I felt kind of strange (moving there from Alaska) but there is just so much good about the place. A real sense of community.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:30 PM

10 posts, read 18,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I used to work for Tyson Foods and I really enjoyed it a lot. They really care about the people who work for them. And I loved Fayetteville, at first I felt kind of strange (moving there from Alaska) but there is just so much good about the place. A real sense of community.
Why did you leave Tyson? And, if you don't mind me asking, what division of the company were you in?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 5,585 times
Hi all. My situation is slightly similar to Dan's but has some major differences as well (and Dan- it seemed you got most of your questions answered so I'm going to ask my own rather than starting another thread; just tell me to butt out if not. And I'll probably only make one more post or so after this). I know you veterans have seen plenty of this type of post so I'll just ask it once: Im a 37 yr. old single male living 10 minutes from New York City for 15 years. I regularly enjoy all the city has to offer (cultural/nightlife/dating scene). I've been presented with an incredible opportunity by company (as a Walmart vendor) but would have to relocate. I'm big into triathlons and the outdoors (yes, north Jersey does have some great mountains believe it or not) and recognize I'd be fine in the Bentonville/Rogers/Fayetteville area for that kind of thing. My major concern is weighing the professional windfall vs. my lifestyle: social network/cultural/nightlife/dating scene, for a post that would be at least 3 years in duration. If I'm going ANYWHERE for 3 years, I need to be happy while I'm there. I know it's a great area for families and all the demographics put families at about 70-75% of th populations (except for Fayetteville). If I were Dan's age, I would jump at the chance to move to the Fayetteville area with the college girls and grad students around his age. However, what about the social networking scene for a 37 yr. old single guy from a major metropolitan area? I'm actually leaning toward not accepting the position but don't have enough info on the area to make that decision in good conscience. Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 AM

29,046 posts, read 11,583,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimmerNY View Post
Hi all. My situation is slightly similar to Dan's but has some major differences as well (and Dan- it seemed you got most of your questions answered so I'm going to ask my own rather than starting another thread; just tell me to butt out if not. And I'll probably only make one more post or so after this). I know you veterans have seen plenty of this type of post so I'll just ask it once: Im a 37 yr. old single male living 10 minutes from New York City for 15 years. I regularly enjoy all the city has to offer (cultural/nightlife/dating scene). I've been presented with an incredible opportunity by company (as a Walmart vendor) but would have to relocate. I'm big into triathlons and the outdoors (yes, north Jersey does have some great mountains believe it or not) and recognize I'd be fine in the Bentonville/Rogers/Fayetteville area for that kind of thing. My major concern is weighing the professional windfall vs. my lifestyle: social network/cultural/nightlife/dating scene, for a post that would be at least 3 years in duration. If I'm going ANYWHERE for 3 years, I need to be happy while I'm there. I know it's a great area for families and all the demographics put families at about 70-75% of th populations (except for Fayetteville). If I were Dan's age, I would jump at the chance to move to the Fayetteville area with the college girls and grad students around his age. However, what about the social networking scene for a 37 yr. old single guy from a major metropolitan area? I'm actually leaning toward not accepting the position but don't have enough info on the area to make that decision in good conscience. Thanks for any advice.
It's hard to say based on what you've told us. If you are an introvert, then socializing could be difficult, no matter where you live.

Bottom line, though, a healthy, single, successful 37 year-old male shouldn't have any difficulty meeting women, especially if he's going to be bopping in and out of the WM home office. Even though there is a family kind of dynamic in the area, there are lots and lots of single women in the 25-40 year old range who would love to meet you. And there are all the usual venues to meet such women, including work, bars, gyms, parks and so on.

I would recommend just making a visit to see how the area suits you. I think travelocity sent me an e-mail last night saying flights from Newark to XNA round-trip were just $164 right now. It would be worth flying out for the weekend.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 AM

10 posts, read 18,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimmerNY View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was your college degree in?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,585 times
Thanks. Yes. I'm definitely an extrovert and will be there in a "sales" capacity. Like many companies, Walmart is our largest customer but we are also their largest transportation vendor so the job will come with exposue to many levels within Walmart. I'm not too worried about actually "meeting girls" as long as there is a dating scene with girls my age to do that (most of the limited info I've read seemed to indicate a younger college aged crowd and married 30 somethings). Now that you've had me think about it, I guess I'm really more concerned with the overall amount of "things to do" as I'm kind of used to getting my pick-depending on my mood that weekend- for any kind of bar, restaurant, symphony, theater, etc. Funny you mention the visit. At first they weren't going to give me the time because they don't like to have this position open to long without being filled. But I just found out that I may be allowed 4 days to go down anc check the area out before making a decision. That would be a HUGE benefit. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the input and any other comments are welcome. (Dan, my major was Internatonal Politics which was Liberal Arts. If I did end up moving there, I would be a Penn State Nittany Lion alum surrounded by a pack of crazed Razorbacks!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers