Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should NWA have a Sub Forum?
Yes 30 83.33%
No 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:23 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
West Memphis needs a forum.
They already have one. It's called the "Memphis" forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 PM

369 posts, read 1,301,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A NWA forum would be guaranteed to get more posts than the Little Rock forum does. Little Rock is a stagnant metro while people move to NWA all the time. Growing metro areas always have more posters asking for advice.
Little Rock proper is somewhat stagnant, but the Little Rock metro continues to grow steadily. Just making a correction on that statement.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:41 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Little Rock proper is somewhat stagnant, but the Little Rock metro continues to grow steadily. Just making a correction on that statement.
Your right, Saline and Faulkner counties are seeing growth like NWA experienced earlier in the decade (at the expense of Pulaski county?). It would be nice to see more unity though between the suburbs and Little Rock. When you are in Conway or the Benton/Bryant area you seem totally disconnected from the core city of Little Rock. In other metro areas, the suburbs are a lot more integrated with their core city than in Little Rock.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:42 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,017 times
bump.

This needs to happen.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:06 PM

199 posts, read 319,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
bump.

This needs to happen.

Agreed, NWA is the "growth area" of Arkansas and has been for the last 20 years.

I disagree with the posters that say Little Rock is "stagnate", I don't see a problem with Little Rock at all, but NWA is experiencing more growth than any other part of the state, and has been for a while.

The economy and population of NWA beats Little Rock Metro, hands down, if Little Rock warrants a forum, NWA does as well...

Old 04-01-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender1968 View Post
Agreed, NWA is the "growth area" of Arkansas and has been for the last 20 years.

I disagree with the posters that say Little Rock is "stagnate", I don't see a problem with Little Rock at all, but NWA is experiencing more growth than any other part of the state, and has been for a while.

The economy and population of NWA beats Little Rock Metro, hands down, if Little Rock warrants a forum, NWA does as well...
I'm finally going to say what noone else seems to have the nerve to say - but what's the deal with the inferiority complex that NWA has with the LR Metro? Little Rock MSA was ranked to have the second most diverse economy in the nation (behind Chicagoland), and the population of Greater Little Rock is significantly larger than Northwest Arkansas' and it will not surpass the LR Metro in population in any of our lifetimes. Saline and Faulkner Counties have had similar growth to what NWA counties had in the last decade, and Lonoke County is experiencing the beginning of a major boom. Little Rock MSA continues to attract NEW businesses and corporations, while NWA is depending on four or five companies to keep the economy of the whole area afloat. Not long ago someone posted that Northwest Arkansas' REGIONAL airport is much larger than Little Rock's NATIONAL Airport(International next year). REALLY folks. Let's just be real and there will not be any of this resentment.

I'll go back to the LR Metro subforum now.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 AM

20 posts, read 74,976 times
Exclamation back on topic

Quote:
I'm finally going to say what noone else seems to have the nerve to say - but what's the deal with the inferiority complex that NWA has with the LR Metro?...
I don't want this post to turn into a "NWA vs LR" debate. They both have major positives and negatives. I'd rather live in NWA - fewer politicians, less government, more nature, more capitalism (THRIVING small business community) -- but I'm a country boy.
It isn't an "inferiority complex" as you say. I think it is a desire to see our capital city be MUCH better than it is. Maybe "embarrassment" is too strong of a word, but the gripe of NWA folks is that LR doesn't represent the state very well. When friends come through Little Rock to pay a visit to Arkansas, they are often put off by what they see. If I can get them up to NWA, they are pleasantly surprised and understand why NWA is growing so rapidly.

The NWA MSA is regularlly picked in the top 10 places to do business and places to live. However, I like ALL of Arkansas. I want to see LR do a lot better than it is! We are all clumped into "AR" so lets play nice and root for each other to do well!

I think we can all agree on one MAJOR item: GO HOGS!!!
If you don't agree with that, I've got a one way bus ticket out of here with your name on it!

Anyway, just trying to get us back on topic: NWA needs their own forum and I think "South Arkansas" would also benefit from one. Organization of data is GOOD. Please be sure to vote! Thanks for the discussions.

--RayZorback (@RayZorback on twitter)

Old 04-03-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayZorback View Post
If you don't agree with that, I've got a one way bus ticket out of here with your name on it!
As an A-State alumnus AND a born and raised Arkansan, who cares about the Razorbacks. GO WOLVES!!!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:26 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayZorback View Post
I hope you're just being sarcastic. You do realize that there are a lot of people that have moved here, enjoy living in Arkansas but don't care anything about the hogs? Are you trying to kick those people out?

Anyways, I think LR and NWA are both deserving of a subforum because those are the two major metropolitan areas of the state.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 AM

14 posts, read 27,812 times
Quote:
I'm finally going to say what noone else seems to have the nerve to say - but what's the deal with the inferiority complex that NWA has with the LR Metro? Little Rock MSA was ranked to have the second most diverse economy in the nation (behind Chicagoland), and the population of Greater Little Rock is significantly larger than Northwest Arkansas' and it will not surpass the LR Metro in population in any of our lifetimes. Saline and Faulkner Counties have had similar growth to what NWA counties had in the last decade, and Lonoke County is experiencing the beginning of a major boom. Little Rock MSA continues to attract NEW businesses and corporations, while NWA is depending on four or five companies to keep the economy of the whole area afloat. Not long ago someone posted that Northwest Arkansas' REGIONAL airport is much larger than Little Rock's NATIONAL Airport(International next year). REALLY folks. Let's just be real and there will not be any of this resentment.

I'll go back to the LR Metro subforum now.
The 2009 MSA population centers are:
1) NLR-LR-Conway - 685,488
2) Fay-Spr-Rogers-Bent - 464,623
3) Ft Smith - 293,063
4) Texarkana - 137,486
5) Jonesboro - 120,139
6) Pine Bluff - 100,070
7) Hot Springs - 98,479

Even if you use the Little Rock CSA including Lincoln, Jefferson and Cleveland counties in addition to Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, Pulaski and Saline counties, the 2009 population is only 862,520. The MSA's of NWA and Ft. Smith are 757,686. I don't see the "signficantly larger" difference you referenced above. The NWA MSA continues to grow at a faster rate than the LR MSA, so the gap continues to close even if the rate has slowed.

LIT does have more traffic than XNA, but XNA does seem to have more direct flights to major cities than LIT. It's too bad the poster you referenced was uninformed regarding LIT traffic, but I don't see any airport advantage to travelers between LR and NWA.

Arkansas has four Fortune 500 companies:
1) Wal-Mart (Bentonville)
87) Tyson (Springdale)
125) Murphy Oil (El Dorado)
348) Dillards (LR)

Wal-Mart, Tyson, JB Hunt (largest public transport company in North America), and the UofA are incredibly attractive employers anchoring the long-term economy of NWA. It's great LR has a diverse economy, but the employer base in NWA is INCREDIBLY strong. Similar sized population bases to NWA/LR around the nation would likely sell their community soul right now to have such a strong employer base. FWIW, less than half the people I know in NWA work for Wal-Mart, one of its 1,300 vendors in NWA, Tyson, JB Hunt or the UofA. It's far more diverse than you suggest.

What's interesting is people relocating to or even within Arkansas rarely choose between NWA and LR. I never have understood the pissing contest between LR and NWA except for the fact it is primarily rooted in an emotionally charged ridiculous debate about where a couple of football games should be played in the fall. The vast majority of people moving to NWA could care less about the useless ongoing LR/NWA "debate" which only matters to an extremely small portion of lifelong residents of Arkansas. There is no broad "inferiority complex" or even resentment among the vast majority of people who live in NWA. The fact is the state desperately needs BOTH LR and NWA to succeed to compete with surrounding states.

Back to the original question...if you are going to have a LR subforum, there should be one for NWA as well. Or do away with all subforums.

Last edited by ARDave; 04-16-2010 at 01:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers